From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New UCC President Geoffrey Black to UCC Executive Council

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:14:40 -0700

UCC President Geoffrey Black to UCC Executive Council: 'I am excited about this church'

Written by Gregg Brekke
October 16, 2009

In his first address to the UCC's Executive Council, new General
Minister and President the Rev. Geoffrey A. Black commended the body
Oct. 16, saying, "The UCC is an important voice in the church and society."

Black's remarks to the Executive Council came following his first two
weeks as the denomination's leader. He began his presentation by
recounting his orientation in which the "computer guy had a lot more
to say" in 2009 than was said in 1994 when Black began a seven-year
term in the Office of Church Life and Leadership. He also reflected on
the all-staff community service day that occurred in his second week
at the UCC's Cleveland headquarters, once again commending the
National Office staff for their generosity where he experienced "a
moment of real and true inspiration."

Calling upon the theme of change, Black outlined three priorities he
believes will be definitive of his term as General Minister and President.

The first is healing of racial and ethic differences. Following
extensive debate and disappointment by some at the proceedings
concerning governance and racial representation at General Synod 27,
Black urged, "We need to recognize how racial groups experience life
differently."

Governance is the second priority for Black. Borrowing a phrase, he
said the UCC's organizational layers had become "complexified" to the
point that few understood which bodies were responsible for governance
and which were tasked with operational management. "We need to
understand that as a governing body we are policy makers - we monitor
the work of those carrying out the mission of the organization," Black
told the Executive Council.

The task for not-for-profits and churches, he continued, is to
"develop a culture of governance in the United Church of Christ ... to
move us to as a body - as a church - to a new understanding of our
role and responsibility as a governing body in the church; this
applies to all the Covenanted Ministries as well."

Black's third priority for the denomination is to develop an overall
strategic plan for the UCC. Noting that Covenanted Ministries and
ministry areas had their individual strategies, Black feels it is time
for the UCC, "as a complex, multi-layered, dynamic, full-of-resources
organization," to have an overall plan for mission and a way to
measure progress towards its goals.

Citing what he characterized as the UCC's voice in the ecumenical
arena, Black said, "We are an important voice for people who need to
understand that the gospel and justice are related ... for people who
need to hear that the gospel and compassionate action go hand-in-hand
... we bring and emphasis on biblical, theological and spiritual
relativeness that has as its core God's quest for justice."

"We are an ecclesiastical voice expressing an ecumenical heart and
mind," he said. "I believe we need to emphasize that and strengthen it
- to share it with the world. It's not the UCC alone that has the
gospel - it's all of our cousins in faith that have it to. We need to
engage with them and listen to them as they listen to us."

"I believe we can do great things in Jesus' name around the world and
in local communities throughout this country," Black said, referring
to the need for interaction and interdependency in the Body of Christ.
"I am excited about this church and our capabilities and our potential
... we have people who have caught the vision of what the UCC can be,
and that makes me excited. With a little bit of excitement, you get a
little bit of extra energy and you do things you didn't think you could do."

"I am excited about this church and what we can be engaged in," Black
concluded. "And I believe you are too."