From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC Supports Restorative Justice with New Project Manager John Lamsma

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:20:06 -0700

CRC Supports Restorative Justice with New Project Manager John Lamsma

Oct. 16, 2009 -- Walking the cell blocks of federal prisons for more
than 20 years, Rev. John Lamsma had a great deal of experience in
learning first-hand what did and did not work in integrating inmates
fully back into a community upon their release.
The Christian Reformed Church pastor saw that self-awareness,
forgiveness and the hand of God have to play significant roles if a
prisoner is to ever move about freely and without debilitating guilt
in the world beyond those walls.

"I see the need for an alternative to the current criminal justice
process," says Lamsma, the newly hired Restorative Justice Project
Manager for the CRC. A Georgia resident, Lamsma retired after more
than 20 years as a chaplain for the federal Bureau of Prisons. He
works out of his home as well as the Grand Rapids, MI., office of the CRC.

"Right now, the system is almost completely retributive," says Lamsma,
who has a counterpart working out of the Canadian office of the CRC.
"Punishment is exclusively incarceration. Right now, we have 2.3
million people in our jails and prisons. Each year 700,000 people get
released."

Lamsma hopes to work with churches in the process of bringing about
restorative justice in the lives of offenders and victims alike. "The
entire process is starting to get attention. Research is being done.
It can be presented as a viable and cheaper alternative (to
incarceration or rehabilitation)," he says.

Restorative Justice is a biblically based view of criminal justice
that attempts to engage victims, offenders and the affected
communities in bringing about deep and lasting solutions by focusing
on healing, restoration and the future, says the CRC?s Office of
Social Justice (OSJ).

The CRC has been deeply involved in the issue of Restorative Justice
over the past several years. In 2005, the Synod responded to a
committee report on Restorative Justice and encouraged "the active
participation of churches and church members in restorative justice
efforts" ­ so that the church has been working to provide a few
resources for congregations to help them engage in the process.

?It is not easy to get inmates to accept a sense of responsibility for
what they have done and how they have violated a victim,? says Lamsma.
Similarly, it?s not easy for victim to offer forgiveness to the
offenders. ?Restorative justice deals with relationships,? says Lamsma.

"I have seen first-hand the horrendous impact incarceration has on
inmates and their families and the need for restorative justice," he
says. "We also have to realize that victims of violent crimes have
needs that are ongoing and long-term. The victim is almost neglected
in the current process. They can speak before a sentence is handed
down? and that is about it.

Although Restorative Justice sounds good, it is not an easy or short
process. "It is an outgrowth out of a sense of justice and shalom in
Scripture," says Lamsma. It seems and sounds so much easier for
society to say, "Let?s Get Tough on Crime," and leave it at that. This
is the lock-them-up and throw-away-the-key mentality that ultimately
solves no problems and tends to create more.

"There is a lot of good material available on this subject. I want to
make people aware of it and pass it along," says Lamsma. Where and
when necessary, he says, he will work to develop resources for
congregations and others who want to live "more restoratively."
Lamsma would like to see more congregations involved in restorative
justice by perhaps learning how to serve as mentors to inmates.
Recently, Lamsma sent out a brochure to CRC pastors, letting them know
that Nov. 15-22 is Restorative Justice Week and helping to explain the
restorative justice process and particularly how it ties in with the Bible.

One question he answers is "How is it (restorative justice) practiced?"

"There is no one prescribed way of practicing restorative justice, but
common initiative areas include victim offender reconciliation
programs, sentencing circles and family group conferencing," he writes.

The idea, says Lamsma, is try to "engage the victim, offender and
members of the community in jointly arriving at solutions that meets
the needs of the victim."

"As Christians, we believe that we all form the body of Christ; that
what happens to, or affects one part, affects the rest," says material
sent out by the Canadian office. "We come together in order to be
whole ? We can all provide a helping hand to those in need and not be
afraid to do so."

Lamsma preaches at church and talks to groups about this topic. "We
would like to develop a model and resources for CRC congregations to
become restorative congregations," he says. "Even churches in
conflict, and school systems, could benefit by learning and using
restorative principles."

?Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

-- Chris Meehan
News & Media Director
Christian Reformed Church in North America
1-616-224-0849