From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Six Episcopal bishops portray church's 'broad center' in meeting with Williams / EPPN seeks su

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 06:29:21 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Six Episcopal bishops portray church's 'broad center' in
meeting with Williams
* TOP STORY - EPPN seeks support for ban on cluster munitions
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTH INDIA: ERD files civil suit against former church  leaders
* MISSION - New stories on ERD website feature partners in Bangladesh,
friends in Virginia
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Bishops reflection on meeting with Archbishop of
Canterbury
* OPINION - Vatican announcement raises many questions
* OPINION - Preaching preparation changes, Holy Spirit remains the same
* DAYBOOK - October 26: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The End of Suffering - Finding Purpose in Pain

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Six Episcopal bishops portray church's 'broad center' in meeting with  Williams

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service, London] Describing themselves as representing
the "broad center" of the Episcopal Church, six bishops were welcomed
Oct. 23 as guests of Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams at his
London residence, Lambeth Palace.

"Our message was to say that the Episcopal Church is not a perfect
church, but ... it is alive, it is well, it is vital, it is pursuing the
mission that God has set before it," said Bishop Clifton Daniel of the
Episcopal Diocese of East Carolina, in an interview with ENS following
the meeting. "I came away as thankful for the Episcopal Church at this
meeting as I did for the Archbishop of Canterbury -- and I'll continue
to give it everything I have to further its mission and its life."

Daniel was joined by bishops Michael Curry of North Carolina, Stacy
Sauls of Lexington (Kentucky), Neff Powell of Southwestern Virginia,
Assistant Bishop William Gregg and Assisting Bishop Chip Marble, both
of North Carolina.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_116008_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

EPPN seeks support for ban on cluster munitions

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Public Policy Network (EPPN)
has issued an appeal to church members to urge U.S. President Barack
Obama to sign the Convention on Cluster Munitions and work for its
ratification by Congress.

"You may have heard of land mines but not of cluster bombs," says an
EPPN alert sent by e-mail on Oct. 22. "Instead of being placed in the
ground, cluster bombs are containers filed with smaller bombs that are
dropped from the air or fired from land or sea. They open in midair
and the bomblets then spread over a large area, killing or injuring
those on the ground, regardless of whether they are combatants or
civilians. Like unexploded landmines, they are a continuing lethal
threat to all living in the area, particularly children who often
think they are toys."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_116001_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

SOUTH INDIA: ERD files civil suit against former church leaders

Episcopal Relief and Development, the international relief and
development agency of the Episcopal Church of the United States,
announced on Oct. 23 that it has filed a civil case against the Church
of South India and its former leadership.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_116022_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

New stories on ERD website feature partners in Bangladesh, friends in  Virginia

[Episcopal Relief and Development] Stories about the church in
Bangladesh and children in Virginia raising funds to buy nets to stave
off malaria-bearing mosquitos are the latest installments in the
"Power of Partnerships"  and "Friends of Episcopal Relief and
Development" online series.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_116006_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Vatican announcement raises many questions

>By William Franklin

[Episcopal News Service] As a member of the Anglican Centre in Rome,
which represents the Archbishop of Canterbury to the Vatican, and as
an Episcopalian who is a professor at one of the pope's universities
in Rome, I have been asked many questions about the Vatican's
announcement on Oct. 20 about the setting up of "Personal
Ordinariates" for former Anglicans wishing to enter into full
communion now with the Roman Catholic Church. Here are some answers to
questions that many in the Episcopal Church are asking.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_116004_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Preaching preparation changes, Holy Spirit remains the same

>By E. F. Michael Morgan

[Episcopal News Service] When I accepted the position as the executive
director of the Episcopal Preaching Foundation, initially I felt
overwhelmed with the ambitious goal implicit in the organization's
mission statement: "to support and improve the quality of preaching in
the Episcopal Church." So I set out to listen as carefully as I could
to a wide array and cross section of "preachers" to ascertain their
views on sermons. I spoke with bishops, seminary deans, rectors of
large churches, clergy in struggling parishes, the ordained in
non-parochial settings, men, women, young, old ..."all sorts and
conditions" of Episcopal clergy.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_116002_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On October 26, 2009, the church remembers Alfred the Great, King of
the West Saxons.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 26, 1990, Charles A. Perry was
inaugurated as dean of Church Divinity School of the Pacific in
Berkeley, California.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The End of Suffering - Finding Purpose in Pain" from Paraclete Press,
by Scott Cairns, 126 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $15.99

[Paraclete Press] Is there meaning in our afflictions?

With the thoughtfulness of a pilgrim and the prose of a poet, Scott
Cairns takes us on a soul-baring journey through "the puzzlement of
our afflictions." Probing ancient Christian wisdom for revelation in
his own pain, Cairns challenges us toward a radical revision of the
full meaning and breadth of human suffering.

Clear-eyed and unsparingly honest, this new addition to the literature
of suffering is reminiscent of The Year of Magical Thinking as well as
the works of C. S. Lewis. Cairns points us toward hope in the seasons
of our afflictions, because "in those trials in our lives that we do
not choose but press through -- a stillness, a calm, and a hope become
available to us."

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org