From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: PCT hosts lively Rainer Schmidt press conference

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:59:43 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3008 Edition

>October 19~25, 2009

PCT hosts lively Rainer Schmidt press conference.

>Reported by Chen Wei-jian

>Written by Lydia Ma

Rainer Schmidt held a lively press conference on October 16 at PCT  headquarters in Taipei,

drawing a large number of mainstream media reporters. Schmidt also  entertained the crowd

by cutting a pineapple all by himself and offering it as a snack  to everyone in attendance.

The press conference was organized by PCT in conjunction with  North & South Publications,

and National Taiwan Normal University, Tunghai University, and  Chang Jung Christian

>University.

During the press conference, PCT General Secretary Andrew Chang  and PCT General

Assembly Moderator Leonard Lin gave Schmidt a souvenir while  Associate General

Secretary Lyim Hong-tiong shared with reporters about  Schmidt’s journey to Taiwan. The list

of guests invited to the press conference included Parents  Association for Persons with

Disabilities CEO Yang Shian-jung and Taipei Table Tennis  Association for Disabled Persons

>Association Director Su Jing-wen.

Schmidt said it was a great honor to be invited to Taiwan to share  his experiences. Speaking

to people, playing table tennis, and attending services are three  of the most important things in

his life. “I am convinced that God wants us to discover who  we can be and affirm ourselves. I

just want to share how I did it. I also want to share how you can  help disabled people renew

their zest for life. My goal here is to stir the hearts of people  by sharing my story,” said

>Schmidt.

During the press conference, Schmidt cut a pineapple into small  pieces all by himself and

served his audience. The purpose of such a demonstration was to  illustrate how people can

learn new skills. As long as there are good methods, lots of  courage, learning can be a joyful

experience. However, a good, friendly, and supportive environment  is also crucial.

In related news, Schmidt gave an exclusive interview to  PCT-affiliated New Eyes Television

(NETV) shortly after arriving to Taiwan. The interview was  conducted by former Taiwanese

representative to Germany, Shieh Jhy-wey, who is now a professor  at Soochow University’s

>Department of German Studies.

Shieh and Schmidt also settled down to a match of table tennis in  between interviews. Though

Schmidt wore a custom-made ping-pong paddle, his athleticism and  superb table tennis skills

impressed Shieh as he fielded the ball again and again.

During the interview, they discussed Schmidt’s upbringing,  interpersonal relationships, inner

world, relationships with his family, love relationships, outlook  on life, and other topics.

Schmidt went through every topic in great detail.

According to Schmidt, when he was twelve years old, he took out a  piece of paper and listed

all the things he could do and all the things he couldn’t do.  After that, he focused on the things

he could do, which greatly helped him overcome many obstacles and  led him to become a

Paralympic athlete and then a pastor, counselor, and motivational  speaker.

Schmidt also shared about the first time he fell in love at the  age of 18. It was then that he

discovered his physical disabilities didn’t preclude him from  falling in love and dating. He also

admitted that when he broke up with his girlfriend, he felt very  depressed and contemplated

seeking refuge in seminary. As for end of life issues, what he  desires most is having his family

>by his side.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)