From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: Schmidt shows how disabled people can have a great life too

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 02:47:57 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3008 Edition

>October 19~25, 2009

Schmidt shows how disabled people can have a great life too

>Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong and Lin Yi-ying

>Written by Lydia Ma

Rainer Schmidt visited National Taiwan Normal University for an  interview followed by a table

tennis match on the afternoon of October 17. The event was  sponsored by Parents

Association for Persons with Disabilities for the purpose of  encouraging parents with disabled

children and society in general to get rid of stereotypes see  people with disabilities in a new

>light.

According to Parents Association for Persons with Disabilities  CEO, Yang Shian-jung, as

long as disabled people are guided and taught by caring people,  they can do almost anything

they dream of doing, even though the process may take longer.  Yang’s own child has Down’s

syndrome and he hopes Schmidt’s visit can encourage parents  who have disabled children

>and help them build their own support system.

Yang went on to explain that people oftentimes think that when  Jesus said “blessed are the

poor”, he only meant those who were financially poor.  However, Yang believes that people with

disabilities are also inferred in Jesus’ words and, most  importantly, those whom we consider

“disabled” are actually “whole” in God’s  eyes. Furthermore, what sets Christianity apart from

folk religion and part of the gospel we proclaim is that disabled  people aren’t presumed to

have committed some crime in their former lives.

As for Christians who have relatives born with disabilities and  have sought miraculous

healings time and time again, Yang reiterated that God saw every  human being as beautiful

and whole. Christians born with disabilities who are seeking  supernatural healing must first

turn to the Bible for guidance as well. This is what sets them  apart from non-Christians and

God’s word is able to help them develop a proper perspective  on their struggles.

Yang also shared his experiences raising his son, who has  Down’s syndrome. His son is now

33 years old and working as a volunteer at a local bank. He said  though it may not be possible

for every person with disabilities to become as accomplished as  Schmidt, such an example

>offers all of us something to think about.

Schmidt emphasized it’s important to give disabled people a  chance to succeed, regardless

of how small such a success may be. Furthermore, God has a purpose  for every life and

regardless of how serious a person’s disability may be, as  long as he experiences

encouragement, respect, and acceptance, he will be able to succeed  somehow.

Schmidt also shared that, though many parents are very concerned  about their children’s

academic performance, grades and abilities are not as important as  a child’s ability to

>discern right from wrong.

In related news, PCT General Assembly held a dinner in honor of  Rainer Schmidt on October

15 at Taipei East Gate Presbyterian Church. During the evening PCT  General Secretary

Andrew Chang made a short speech highlighting all the miracles in  Schmidt’s life. Chang said

he was confident Schmidt’s tour would become an inspiration  and learning opportunity for

>many.

During the dinner, a boy from Tamkang High School suffering from a  rare skin disease played

the piano for Schmidt. The boy’s mother said she was very  glad to see Schmidt who, despite

many physical disabilities, never gave up on life and faced each  day with courage. She hoped

his son could also grow up to be like Schmidt and become other  people’s blessing later in life.

Schmidt was also scheduled to preach at East Gate Church on  Sunday, October 18. The

dinner, scheduled a few days earlier, was not only a welcome  party, but also an opportunity for

East Gate leaders and members to get acquainted with Schmidt.  After dinner, many church

staff and members lined up to get an autograph from Schmidt as a  keepsake.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)