From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] IRAQ: St. George's Anglican Church damaged in deadly bomb attack / PAKISTAN: Blasphemy law inc

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:50:25 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* WORLD REPORT - IRAQ: St. George's Anglican Church damaged in deadly
bomb attack
* WORLD REPORT - PAKISTAN: Blasphemy law increases intolerance, says  church
* WORLD REPORT - ZIMBABWE: Christian group warns on 'unity' government
* OPINION - Readers respond to articles about Vatican's proposal to
welcome former Anglicans
* ARTS - Thirteen New Hampshire church artists join to display their  work
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Bishop Epting speaks on CNN about recent Vatican  actions
* DAYBOOK - October 28: Today in Scripture, Prayer
* CATALYST - What God Can Do For You Now - For Seekers Who Want to  Believe

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

IRAQ: St. George's Anglican Church damaged in deadly bomb attack

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Two major suicide bomb attacks in Baghdad on
Sunday, Oct. 25, caused serious damage to St. George's Anglican Church
and left at least 150 dead and more than 600 injured on the streets
outside.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_116122_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

PAKISTAN: Blasphemy law increases intolerance, says church

>By Jim Stephens

[Ecumenical News International, Islamabad] The Church of Pakistan has
called on the government in Islamabad to repeal a "maliciously abused"
blasphemy law and to increase accountability in the judicial system,
saying these steps are necessary to defuse tensions simmering in the
country.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_116097_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ZIMBABWE: Christian group warns on 'unity' government

[Ecumenical News International, Harare] An alliance of Christians in
Zimbabwe has appealed to Southern African regional leaders to take
action to salvage the country's power-sharing government and prevent
bloodshed after Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai suspended contact
with President Robert Mugabe and his party.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_116115_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Readers respond to articles about Vatican's proposal to welcome former  Anglicans

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Life Online has received several
letters responding to "Pope announces special provisions to accept
former Anglicans in Roman Catholic Church" and "Vatican proposal to
welcome former Anglicans generates mixed reactions, commentary".

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_116134_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

Thirteen New Hampshire church artists join to display their work

>By Episcopal Life staff

[Episcopal Life] The artistic talent displayed at this small New
Hampshire congregation took some members by surprise.

"Each Sunday we talk about our children, or our jobs, but few people
know what our personal interests are," said Kyle Potvin, a public
relations practitioner and a poet whose writing was displayed along
with the works of other artists at St. Christopher's Episcopal Church
in Hampstead, about 45 minutes' drive from Boston.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_116073_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Video: Bishop Epting speaks on CNN about recent Vatican actions

Bishop Christopher Epting, ecumenical officer for the Episcopal
Church, speaks on CNN about the recent Vatican proposal to allow
provisions to accept groups of former Anglicans who wish to join the
Roman Catholic Church.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On October 28, 2009, the church remembers Saint Simon and Saint Jude.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"What God Can Do For You Now - For Seekers Who Want to Believe" from
Sourcebooks, Inc., by Robert N. Levine, 198 pages, hardcover, c. 2009,
$21.99

[Sourcebooks, Inc.] It is easy to believe God has abandoned us.

In atrocities from Hitler's Germany to today's Darfur, the meek and
the poor are left to fend for themselves. In the United States, we are
menaced by violent terrorists who claim to act in God's name. Our own
neighbors threaten us with an absolute choice between faith and a
fiery path to hell.

Robert Levine steps into the fray with What God Can Do For You Now. A
leading American clergyman, he asks us to commit to a relationship
with a loving God. We can create a trusting partnership with the
Almighty, give time to prayer, and strive to repair the world.  In a
time when genocide and terrorism wreak their terrible toll, he
convinces us that the potential for tragedy exists alongside the
potential for miracles, every day and every where.

When we rekindle our faith in God, we rekindle our belief in our own
goodness, and start the change we need to repair ourselves and the
world.

"Rabbi Robert Levine understands that there are lots of reasons 'to
harbor supreme doubts' about God - he's honest enough to admit to the
struggles he's had.  Jews and Christians will encounter the joy of
this scholarly and down-to-earth Rabbi. As we act godly and find God,
miracles happen again." -- The Very Rev. Dr. James A. Kowalski, Dean,
Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org