From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW MEETS WITH THE ORTHODOX PRIMATES OF THE U.S.A.

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:29:11 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA

8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106 * Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax:
(212) 774-0237
www.goarch.org    - Email: communications@goarch.org

Contact: PRESS OFFICE
Stavros Papagermanos
pressoffice@goarch.org

ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW MEETS WITH THE ORTHODOX PRIMATES OF THE U.S.A.

NEW YORK ? His All Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew gave an
audience yesterday Tuesday, Oct. 27, to the Orthodox Primates of the
USA, most of whom were present the previous evening for the Ninth
Annual Orthodox Prayer Service for the United Nations Community.
Present at the audience were Archbishop Demetrios of America (Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese); Metropolitan Philip (Antiochian Orthodox
Archdiocese); Metropolitan Christopher (Serbian Orthodox Archdiocese);
Metropolitan Nicholas (Carpatho- Russian Diocese); Archbishop Nicolae
(Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese); Metropolitan Jonah (Orthodox  Church
in America), Metropolitan Constantine (Ukrainian Orthodox Church in
the USA); Bishop Ilia (Albanian Orthodox Diocese) and Archpriest
Alexander Abramov (Representation of the Moscow Patriarchate in the
USA). Archbishop Demetrios welcomed His All Holiness on behalf of the  Primates.

The remarks of His All Holiness follow:

?We bring to you the greeting, the blessing, and the love of the
Apostolic, Patriarchal and Ecumenical Throne of the First-Called
Andrew, and we express as well our appreciation to the Most Reverend
Chairman of the Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops
in the Americas, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America, for
bringing you together today so that we may have this opportunity for
fellowship in the Holy Spirit and for a dialogue of love.

?For nearly fifty years, the Standing Conference has served as a place
for the Primates of the various jurisdictions that are present in
North America to gather and discuss common concerns and issues. Also,
through the many agencies that have been formed under your aegis, you
have been able to activate pan-Orthodox ministries that extend beyond
the confines of your particular Churches, so that your united effort
might be brought to bear in common interests.

?The success of SCOBA has always been based in the true sense of
cooperation, of synergy, between the Orthodox ecclesiastical entities
here in North America. You have been successful at providing a common
witness to all the Orthodox Faithful, even as you have maintained your
ties to the Mother Churches and sought to establish yourselves in the
countries and culture within which you live.

?Nevertheless, SCOBA has always been an organization that lacks
authorization from the Mother Churches, being a self-started and
volunteer body. This reality reflects both strengths and weaknesses ?
strengths in that SCOBA was free to find creative solutions to issues
and problems, without seeking approval from a higher authority ? and
weaknesses, because without authorization from the Mother Churches,
there has been no methodology to effectuate decisions and policies
that prepare for the future.

?Given these considerations, it was logical for the status quo to
evolve, as it did at the Synaxis of the Heads of the universally
recognized Autocephalous Churches last October at the Ecumenical
Patriarchate. At that time, the common will of the universally
recognized Autocephalous was expressed as follows:

As Primates and the Representatives of the Most Holy Orthodox
Churches, fully aware of the gravity of the aforementioned problems,
and laboring to confront them directly as ?servants of Christ and
stewards of God?s mysteries? (1 Cor. 4:1), we proclaim from this See
of the First-throne among the Churches and we re-affirm:
i) our unswerving position and obligation to safeguard the unity of
the Orthodox Church in ?the faith once for all delivered to the
saints? (Jude 3), the faith of our Fathers, in the common Divine
Eucharist and in the faithful observance of the canonical system of
Church governance by settling any problems that arise from time to
time in relations among us with a spirit of love and peace.
ii) our desire for the swift healing of every canonical anomaly that
has arisen from historical circumstances and pastoral requirements,
such as in the so-called Orthodox Diaspora, with a view to overcoming
every possible influence that is foreign to Orthodox ecclesiology. In
this respect we welcome the proposal by the Ecumenical Patriarchate to
convene Panorthodox Consultations within the coming year 2009 on this
subject, as well as for the continuation of preparations for the Holy
and Great Council.

?As you all know and are well aware, the Fourth Pre-Conciliar
Pan-Orthodox Conference did take place in June of this year, at the
Center of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Chambésy, Switzerland. The
Decision, and the Regulations promulgated by the Pre-Conciliar
Conference establish a modus operandi by which the Bishops, in the
regions of the world defined by the Conference, may progress
institutionally toward the solutions that we all seek in the
forthcoming Great and Holy Council.

?This is not to say that there will not be difficulties along the way.
The region defined for this portion of the Western Hemisphere is quite
extensive, including Spanish-speaking Mexico and Central America,
together with the rest of Anglophone and Francophone North America.
There are many bishops who have never been represented in SCOBA, and
who will now participate through their Mother Churches in the Assembly
of Bishops. There are also the issues of so-called ?autonomies? and
?autocephalies? that are not recognized by the Church Universal, and
for which solutions must be found in order allow for full
participation on every level in the processes of the Assembly of
Bishops. All of the issues and problems that require resolution first
require willing hearts and minds, study and careful consideration, and
the unfailing loving application of the canonical tradition of out
Holy Orthodox Church.

?As the convener of the Pan-Orthodox world, the Ecumenical
Patriarchate stands ready to be of assistance through guidance and an
ongoing dialogue based in the truth of Gospel. We welcome positive
suggestions and, as it said in our modern world, ?thinking outside the
box,? so that we may construct models of ecclesiastical polity and
governance with foundations sunk deep in the venerable tradition of
our One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church ? and at the same time
are relevant to the spiritual needs and societal conventions of the
world within which our faithful live.

?Here, we do not reference compromise nor conformity to the world,
but, following the exhortation of the Holy Apostle Paul ? that we be
?transformed by the renewing of our minds,? we speak of transformative
and transformational models that are faithful to the history of the
Church, for this history is that of the Holy Spirit Who infuses and
guides the Church in every generation ? in times of weakness and in
times of strength, in times of persecution and in times of triumph, in
times war and in times of peace. And in whatever time the Church finds
her incarnate presence through the grace, operation and inspiration of
the Holy Spirit, we know that the Church lives in accordance with the
Apostle?s injunction: ?that everything be done decently and in good  order.?

?Therefore, beloved brothers in the Lord, let the order of the Church
be observed perfectly among you, beginning and ending always with the
commandment ? new and divine ? that we have received from our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ: Love one another. Everything else that we attempt
? even with all our skill and might ? will come to naught if love does
not reign supreme among us all. With these words we leave each of you
with our Patriarchal and paternal blessing, invoking upon you the
grace of God and His infinite mercy.?

Following the remarks of His All Holiness, there was an exchange of
gifts, including a presentation by the Metropolitan Philip of an
?engolpion? (Episcopal medallion) with the icon of Sts. Peter and
Paul. The Ecumenical Patriarch presented gifts to all the Members, and
departed the meeting. Metropolitan Emmanuel of France, accompanying
the Ecumenical Patriarch throughout America and who is the Chairman of
the already functioning Episcopal Assembly of France (Inter-Episcopal
Committee from 1967 and full Episcopal Assembly since 1997), remained
to engage in a brief dialogue with the Members.

Immediately following the Patriarchal Audience, Archbishop Demetrios
hosted a luncheon in honor of His All Holiness for fifty Ecumenical
and Interfaith leaders from New York and around America.

More information about His All Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarchate,
the environmental work of the Church and the Apostolic Visit to the
United States may be found at:

www.usvisit2009.org <http://www.usvisit2009.org/> and
www.patriarchate.org <http://www.patriarchate.org/> .

== 30 ==