From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Wittenberg Center Staff Ends Service Nov. 30, Center's Future Unclear

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:28:16 -0500

Title: ELCA Wittenberg Center Staff Ends Service Nov. 30, Center's Future Unclear
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>October 29, 2009

ELCA Wittenberg Center Staff Ends Service Nov. 30, Center's Future Unclear
09-242-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The directors of the Wittenberg Center of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will end their service in
Germany Nov. 30, the result of "harsh budget realities," according to the
Rev. Robert O. Smith, ELCA Global Mission. Smith made the comment in an
Oct. 19 letter sent to ELCA church companions and other partners in
Germany.

The departures of the Rev. Stephen E. and Dr. Jean Godsall-Myers
leave the future of the center uncertain, said Smith, continental desk
director for Europe and Middle East.

The Godsall-Myers, who have served as directors since 2006, released
the news Oct. 28 in a special edition of their newsletter e-mailed to
supporters of the center. They expect to remain in Lutherstadt Wittenberg
through Christmas and return to the United States in early January.

"This is a great place where 'living encounters' (happen)," said
Stephen Godsall-Myers in a phone interview from Wittenberg. "We've really
enjoyed being connected to the local church community and using those
connections to help people who visit here."

"It has been exciting and a privilege to be here during a time of
re-formation of the church in this region. To me, the work of the Holy
Spirit here has been very, very powerful," said Jean Godsall-Myers.

Stephen Godsall-Myers said he has been in touch with the bishop of
his synod, the ELCA Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod, and plans to seek a
call there. Jean Godsall-Myers is a professor of German and said she
hopes to find similar work.

The 10-year-old Wittenberg Center is a unique ministry located in
the city where Martin Luther, a German monk, nailed his 95 Theses to the
door of the Castle Church in 1517. His writings were instrumental in the
Protestant Reformation.

The center and its staff provide educational programs, including
study programs for college students, continuing education and sabbatical
opportunities for professional church leaders, and assist Christian
groups visiting the city.

"Even with the creative ideas for new financial partnership that
have been shared in recent weeks, it is clear the ELCA will not have the
resources to place full-time staff in Wittenberg in the future. Given the
budget realities the ELCA is facing, we have needed to move far more
quickly than we would have desired to restructure our engagement in
Wittenberg," Smith wrote to German companions.

Smith added that the ELCA was unable at the present time to make
substantial commitments to future plans, but after mid-November Global
Mission would have a better idea of its budget situation and could
discuss specifics then.

He told the ELCA News Service that the Wittenberg Center has a
network of people who are dedicated to its ministry. "We do not take this
decision lightly. We're looking for the best possible outcome and invite
comment," he said.

The Lutheran World Federation and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
(LCMS) both maintain offices in Wittenberg. Just this week, the Rev.
David L. Mahsman was installed as managing director of the LCMS
International Lutheran Welcome Center.

In September 2008 the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop and
LWF president, and German church leaders initiated the "Luther Decade" in
Wittenberg -- a series of events and observances leading to 2017, the
500th anniversary of the Reformation. The ELCA Wittenberg Center staff
expected to play a significant role in the observance.

Hanson wrote to leaders of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD)
and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany (VELKD) to assure
them "that the ELCA is exploring ways to deepen our companionship and
continue our presence in Wittenberg."

The Godsall-Myers both indicated that they hoped the ELCA would
maintain a presence in historic Wittenberg. "I think a lot of people
would want that. I hope it continues with success and God's blessing on
it all," said Jean Godsall-Myers.

>---

Information about the ELCA Wittenberg Center is at
http://www.ELCA.org/wittenberg on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog