From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WACC Media Action 296

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:09:09 -0800

In this Issue: Countdown to Global Media Monitoring Day!

Also in this issue:

GMMP materials available in Arabic for the first time!

Measuring Change in Media Development.

WACC sponsors documentary screening at RCC2010.

A video interview with Doreen Spence, a renowned campaigner for
indigenous people's rights.

The Chair of WACC-Asia speaks about regional priorities in a video
interview.

**Programme updates**

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2024:countdown-to-glob al-media-monitoring-day.html?Itemid=161

Countdown to Global Media Monitoring Day! 			!

By Lilian Ndangam, for the Media and Gender Justice Programme, WACC

With just few days to go before global media monitoring day, we are
pleased to announce several milestones that have been achieved as part
of the GMMP 2009/2010 preparation process. 1. For the first time in
GMMP history, monitoring materials are available in Arabic. The
resources which are available on the GMMP website include a background
to the GMMP, an introduction to the GMMP methodology, and monitoring
guides for different media. Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2024:countdown-to-globa l-media-monitoring-day.html?Itemid=161

<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/component/content/article/166-news-ticker-ite ms/2025-gmmp-materials-available-in-arabic-for-the-first-time-.html

GMMP materials available in Arabic for the first time! e

By Amany Latif Ebied, Secretary, WACC- Middle East Region

and North Africa (MENA) for an Arabic version of the GMMP monitoring
methodology, WACC has, for the first time, translated the
GMMP2009/2010 monitoring methodology to Arabic. Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/component/content/article/166-news-ticker-item s/2025-gmmp-materials-available-in-arabic-for-the-first-time-.html

**Global News **

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2028:measuring-change- in-media-development.html

Measuring Change in Media Development

By Lavinia Mohr, Deputy General Secretary and Director of Programmes,

WACC

How do those engaged in media development in all its myriad forms
assess the results of their work? What is the contribution of a
community radio station to the well-being of its community? How do we
know how much impact training journalists has on the quality of the
media landscape? Can we measure a correlation between media
development and poverty reduction? Do peace journalism or peace media
bring about a reduction in conflict, and how can we tell? How can the
effect of expanding independent and pluralistic media on human rights,
democracy and good governance be determined? Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2028:measuring-change-i n-media-development.html

**Regional News**

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2008:wacc-sponsors-doc umentary-screening-at-rcc2010.html

WACC sponsors documentary screening at RCC2010

By Philip Lee, Deputy Director of Programmes, WACC

Triage: Dr. James Orbinski's Humanitarian Dilemma will be shown at
RCCongress 2010, which takes place April 7-10. The screening and an
appearance by James Orbinski are being sponsored by the World
Association for Christian Communication (WACC). The documentary film
Triage was inspired by Orbinski's 2008 book, An Imperfect Offering,
which won the Writer's Trust of Canada's Shaughnessy Cohen Prize for
Political Writing, and in which he seeks to make sense of his
experiences. Read more....
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2008:wacc-sponsors-docu mentary-screening-at-rcc2010.html

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2007:un-climate-change -media-fellowship-awarded-to-wacc-partner-.html

WACC partner awarded UN Climate Change Media Asia - Fellowship

By Teresia Mutuku, Communications Officer and Web Manager, WACC

The Director of the Centre for Communication and Development (CCD), a
WACC project partner in Bangladesh, is among 40 outstanding
journalists from 26 developing nations who will participate in this
yearâ??s Climate Change Media Partnership (CCMP) fellowship Programme.
G M Mourtoza, who is also the Editor of Radio Desh, the first news
based online radio of Bangladesh, is one of the two journalists from
the country to have received this significant fellowship. Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2007:un-climate-change- media-fellowship-awarded-to-wacc-partner-.html

**Features**

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2004:what-will-religio us-leaders-do-to-help-the-worlds-abandoned-people.html

What will religious communicators do to help the worldâ??s people?

By Philip Lee, Deputy Director of Programmes, WACC

On October 14, 2009 the Canadian 2010 Interfaith Partnership issued
the statement "A Time for Inspired Leadership and Action".

The Statement calls on the 2010 Religious Leaders' Summit (June
21-23, Winnipeg, Canada), preceding the G8 (G20) Summit (June 25-27,
Huntsville, Canada), "to put first the needs and values of the
majority of the world's population, of future generations and of Earth
itself." (See here
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2003:a-time-for-inspire d-leadership-and-action.html
.) Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/2004:what-will-religiou s-leaders-do-to-help-the-worlds-abandoned-people.html

**Pictorial News**

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHRANY7U1c

Doreen Spence speaks about communication rights for indigenous people

Doreen Spence, a renowned campaigner for human rights in aboriginal
communities worldwide, spoke with WACC about the human and
communication rights of indigenous people. She observed that there are
key values and issues of indigenous people that are never heard. â??It
seems to me to be a one-way-communication. I speak for indigenous
people around the globe; we need our stories to be heard.â?? She
asserted that communication is an inherent, God-given right to all
people. â??It is a God given right that we are allowed to express
ourselves?â?? Watch full interview?
¦
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHRANY7U1c

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEkbXZXb_A

WACC Asia region Chair addresses communication and poverty

In a recent video interview, Rev. Dr. Sam Meshack, the chair of
WACC-Asia region spoke to WACC about the current priorities of the
region. He pointed out communication and poverty as the key priority.
Several workshops have been conducted in India to explore how
mainstream media is addressing the issue of poverty. â??We are
training amateur journalists to acquire hands-on skills to be able to
tell the real stories of the peopleâ??. Watch full interview?
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEkbXZXb_A

Doctoral Research Associate from India visits WACC for a one-week
research

Rev. D. Simon Ponniah of Gurukul Lutheran Theological College and
Research institute, Chennai, India recently carried out his doctoral
research at WACC Secretariatâ??s library, in Toronto, Canada. â? ?Am
fascinated by the collection of research articles and publications
available in the library, particularly those related to grassroots
communication with groups in Asia, Africa and Latin America. I
encourage other associates to visit WACCâ??s library for their
research. ..Watch out for an interview with Rev. Ponniah in the next
issue of Media Action.

**Letters to the Editor**

WACC News

Thank you for sending me updates, news and information. I really
enjoy going through the emails.

I would like to become a member of WACC. Please do let me know the
criteria for I am eager to be a member.

Freyhiwot Nadew

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 8:54 AM

----------

WACC on YouTube

Congratulations Dennis!

WACC is now on YouTube, perhaps the new "agora" in the web and the
virtual society.!

I hope to see more videos of WACC on this website.

Johnny Llerena

Perú

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:55 AM

----------

Interfaith leaders call on G8 nations

Thank you for the press release about Interfaith leaders call on G8
nations to remain true to the Millennium Development Goals. This is a
very critical concern of the whole world, particularly we in Oceania
who are worse off than the larger continents.

Esa Faitala, Vice-Chair, WACC Pacific Region

Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:41 PM

**Please send comments and letters to MT@waccglobal.org
<mailto:MT@waccglobal.org
**