From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

VICE-PRESIDENT BIDEN TO THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:09:34 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA

8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106 * Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax:
(212) 774-0237
www.goarch.org    - Email: communications@goarch.org

Contact: PRESS OFFICE
Stavros Papagermanos
pressoffice@goarch.org
(718) 415-5850

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 5, 2009

VICE-PRESIDENT BIDEN TO THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH:

We are with you; We support the Ecumenical Patriarch as a leader of
global standing

WASHINGTON ? The Vice-President of the United States Joseph Biden and
his wife hosted a formal dinner yesterday Nov. 4, at the Vice
Presidential Residence to honor His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch
Bartholomew who during this third leg of his trip to the United States
is visiting Washington, DC.

His All Holiness and the Vice-President had a long and fruitful
meeting immediately prior to the dinner, where issues of mutual
interest were discussed including religious freedom and religious
tolerance, the interreligious and intercultural dialogue initiatives
of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the re-opening of the Theological
School of Halki and the leadership role of His All Holiness for the
preservation of the natural environment. Ecumenical Patriarch
Bartholomew has just concluded his Eighth Religion, Science and
Environment Symposium in New Orleans, focusing on the Mississippi River.

?We are with you, [and] we support the Ecumenical Patriarch as a
leader of global standing,? said Vice President Biden addressing the
Ecumenical Patriarch and quoting the Ancient Greek fabulist Aesop who
said ?It is easy to be brave from a safe distance,? the Vice President
said to His All Holiness: ?You have always been brave and never from a
safe distance. You have stared down those who seek to erode the
authority of the Church tirelessly, professing the Greek Orthodox way
for millions of followers.?

?Your Holiness I am truly grateful for your work on environmental
awareness across the United States of America... You delivered a
moving address in New Orleans and in New York, and you have inspired
hundreds of thousands of Americans along the way,? continued Mr. Biden
and added ?you have been a champion for tolerance and interfaith
dialogue reaching out to both the Catholic Church and the Moslem
community, both in your native country Turkey and throughout the world.?

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in his response to the Vice President
thanked him for the love, the hospitality and his ?lifetime of public
service? for his fellow citizens and in defense of justice and freedom
and he underlined current worldwide conditions:
?The current worldwide economic crisis has fast become a crisis of
hope for the peoples of the world. The youth of the world are in doubt
as to the security of their economic future, the stability and
tranquility of the world?s many governments and nations, and the
health and well-being of the planet that we all call ?home.?

?For those of us who serve ancient and venerable spiritual
institutions like the Ecumenical Patriarchate, we are challenged daily
to convey spiritual truth in a context of acceptance and understanding
of every person, whether they are adherents of our faith or not. We
have the awesome task of instilling hope for the future in the hearts
of the people of the world. Our message is not confined to any
grouping, identity or language. For in these challenging times, Mr.
Vice President, while you seek solutions in the worlds of finance,
diplomacy, and social welfare, we offer the lasting and existentially
meaningful alternatives to the ?opiates of the people?. We have the
sacred duty and trust to offer compassion, mercy, sacrifice,
generosity, and ultimately love.? (for the full text see
http://www.patriarchate.org/documents/vice-president-2009)

The dinner was attended by Archbishop Demetrios of America, whom the
Vice-President, calling him ?a good friend? congratulated on his tenth
anniversary of his enthronement, Metropolitans Geron Athanasios of
Chalcedon and Amvrosios of Korea, Metropolitans of the Holy Eparchial
Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, members of the clergy, many
friends of the Vice President?s family, friends of the Ecumenical
Patriarchate, ambassadors, congressmen, senators and other officials.

Earlier in the day Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew had delivered
another major address at the Brookings Institution entitled, ?Saving
the Soul of the Planet,? on environmental responsibility. (See
http://www.patriarchate.org/documents/saving-the-soul-of-the-planet)
which was followed by a Luncheon in the Rayburn Room of the United
States Capitol, co-hosted by the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and
the Majority Leader Harry Reid and a private meeting with Speaker
Pelosi. (See the address
http://www.patriarchate.org/documents/house-senate-luncheon-2009)

== 30 ==