From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ecumenical Body Sends Letter to South African Churches

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:04:39 -0800

Ecumenical Body Sends Letter to South African Churches

Nov. 6, 2009 -- The Executive Committee of the Reformed Ecumenical
Council has sent a letter to the South African members of the REC and
of the World Alliance of  Reformed Churches (WARC) concerning and
clarifying the status of the Netherdutch Reformed Church of Africa
(NHKA) related to the union of the REC and the WARC.
These two bodies, the REC and the WARC, plan to merge into a new body,
to become the World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC), in June
2010 on the campus of Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI. The REC is
based in Grand Rapids. The merged organization will represent more
than 60 million Reformed Christians worldwide.

The overriding issue addressed in the REC's letter were concerns that
the NHKA had not repudiated apartheid as theological heresy and would
come to Calvin next summer as a member of the REC.
Concerns from South African churches triggered the letter. In
Johannesburg in early September, churches raised these concerns at a
global consultation on faith and justice. There, some leaders
questioned the meaning of the membership of the NHKA in the REC. They
wondered why the REC had not consulted South African churches before
admitting the NHKA, and they wondered how serious the REC was about
the proposed merger while it retained the NHKA membership, says
Richard Van Houten, executive secretary of the REC.

Rev.Peter Borgdorff, the REC president and executive director emeritus
of the Christian Reformed Church, and Rev. Douwe Visser, the immediate
past president of the REC, were both present in Johannesburg. They
responded to concerns expressed there, and Borgdorff promised further
action by the REC Executive Committee.

After an intense discussion within the REC Executive Committee, the
committee decided to send the letter to the South African members of
both organizations -- the REC and WARC. The committee expressed its
gratitude that the South Africans had brought this matter to their
attention. "We know this was not an easy thing to do," the letter
stated. Later, the letter expanded on this thought. "In any
reconciliation process, it is a courageous act for those who were
directly affected to raise their voices."

The NHKA is a newer member of the REC, accepted in 2005. About the
same time, the NHKA re-applied for membership in the WARC. The NHKA,
which was exclusively white and mostly Afrikaner in its membership in
the past, had been suspended from the WARC in 1982. At that time, the
NHKA also resigned its membership in the WARC. However, after having
made changes in its church polity in the post-apartheid era, it
decided to re-apply to the WARC, says Van Houten.

The WARC considered that its suspension still was in effect and asked
the church to make one additional declaration that a theological
defense of apartheid was a heresy before the WARC would readmit them.
At its 2007 General Assembly, the NHKA balked at adopting an
agreed-upon statement and sought a revision. The next assembly of the
NHKA is scheduled only in September 2010, so the NHKA suspension in
the WARC will be in effect at the time of the formation of the WCRC.

In the letter, the REC Executive Committee apologized for the REC's
actions in 2005 and their failure to consult the many South African
churches involved before admitting the NHKA for membership.

"We would like to tell you now that we deeply regret that we did not
take more time in 2005. While we were technically correct in our
process -- there was no requirement or precedent for either WARC or
REC to consult the others' members about a new member -- we should
have known better. We should have widened our consultation process to
include you," says the letter.

The committee noted that accepting the membership of the NHKA presumed
knowledge by the REC about the background of apartheid in South
Africa. The REC had been discussing the issue at every single REC
meeting since 1953.

"We should have known that none of us could easily forget the deep
effects of that system, which may take years or generations to be
cleansed from us. We, the current members of the REC, were all present
at the 2005 Assembly for that decision, and we were not careful or
wise enough in our actions. For that, we apologize to you," says the letter.

The REC Executive Committee pointed out that the REC readily agreed
last year to a provision in the new WCRC constitution concerning this matter.

In 2008, a REC-WARC Joint Working Group inserted a phrase in the
proposed constitution for the WCRC, stating, "A church that is under
suspension in either preceding body at the time of the formation shall
remain under suspension in the World Communion of Reformed Churches."
The only church this applies to is the NHKA, and the REC members
unanimously agreed with this proposal. Under this proposal, the NHKA
will still be a member of the WCRC, but under suspension.

"It will be impossible at this time for the REC to take any stronger
action on the membership of the NHKA in the REC," says the letter.
"The Executive Committee is not empowered to initiate the suspension
of any member church, so the acceptance of the new clause in the WCRC
constitution is the strongest action it can take. "

The letter is also addressed to the NHKA, as a current member of the
REC. At the end, the Executive Committee addressed them directly,
leaving room for further discussions and reconciliation.
"We know you are our brothers and sisters in Christ, and we know that
some among you are in agreement with us. For those who disagree, we
profess our willingness to continue to engage with you, to discuss, to
witness, and to be willing to hear with open hearts of your own
journey as you deal with your history," says the letter.
Thus, the NHKA will be seated next summer as a member of REC at a
meeting on June 18, "after which their members will be observers" for
the remainder of the meeting at which the merger is to occur. "Their
presence in the RCA Assembly next year is a technical matter about
membership, and we write it only that you will not be surprised next
year," says the letter.

--Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

--
Chris Meehan