From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin November 13, 2009

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:50:51 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0237
Web: http://www.goarch.org  - Email: communications@goarch.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin November 13, 2009

This is the weekly edition of the GOA E-Bulletin. For more information
just click on the links below to go to the topics of interest to you.

If the link does not work from your email, copy the link and paste it
into the address bar of your web browser.

FEAST OF THE ENTRY OF THE THEOTOKOS INTO THE TEMPLE: The Feast of the
Entrance into the Temple of Our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos and
Ever-Virgin Mary is celebrated on November 21 each year. The Feast
commemorates when as a young child, the Virgin Mary entered the Temple
in Jerusalem.  For the background to this feast, a description of the
icon, hymns, readings, and more visit

www.goarch.org/special/listen_learn_share/vmpresentation/index_html

IOCC SUNDAY ? NOVEMBER 22<: Sunday, November 22, has been designated
by the Hierarchs of SCOBA as IOCC Sunday: A day of sharing.
International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC) is the humanitarian
agency of the Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in
the Americas (SCOBA). IOCC, in the spirit of Christâ??s love, offers
emergency relief and development programs to those in need worldwide,
without discrimination, and strengthens the capacity of the Orthodox
Church to so respond.  For parish resources, publicity materials,
bulletin inserts, and the encyclical for the Sunday, visit

www.iocc.org/dayofsharing/

FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION:

The Department's new 'zine "Of Your Mystical Supper: The Eucharist" is
now available. Written at a "senior high" (grades 10-12) level, it
looks at The Sacrament of Holy Communion as a Sacrament of Remembrance
(in the Last Supper), a Sacrament of Thanksgiving (the Eucharist), a
Sacrament of Forgiveness, and a Sacrament of Community. It also
contains a section on Preparing for Holy Communion  and the Prothesis
Service.  Cost is $3.95 per copy. For orders of more than 50 copies,
cost is $2.95 each.   A Teacher's Guide is in development.

Also, don't forget that "For to us a Child is Born," which discusses
the incarnation of Christ and the Christmas holidays is also available
and works well this time of year with students. A teacher's guide is
available too.

New 'zine from DRE: "Heaven on Earth: The Divine Liturgy" now
available.  Heaven on Earth is a guide to the Divine Liturgy of St
John Chrysostom, providing the junior high reader with information
about what is taking place and directions for greater involvement. It
also provides a "glossary" of items seen at the Divine Liturgy and
introduces the reader to the development of the Liturgy in the
Orthodox Church. Twenty-four pages, fully illustrated in color. Could
also serve as a handout in adult education classes, be given to
visitors to the parish, or placed in the narthex or in the pews.
$3.95 per copy. $2.95 on orders of more than 50 copies. A Teacher's
Guide for classroom use will be available soon.

New On-line Group for Religious Educators - The Department of
Religious Education has created Orthodox Christian Religious Educators
a group on Facebook so that teachers and other interested youth
workers can share ideas, discuss programs. The Facebook group is the
latest attempt of the Department to bring Orthodox Christian Religious
Educators together. The group is open to anyone who works with young
people in Orthodox Christian parishes, whether as a clergyman, a
Sunday Church school teacher, supervisor, a youth group advisor,
interested parent, or others.  For those already using Facebook,
search for the group and join.  For those not using Facebook, you will
have to join the social networking site (it's free).  Already the
group has hundreds of members with topics being discussed ranging from
Vacation Church School to teaching Environmental Stewardship.

2010 St. John Chrysostom Oratorical Festival Topics Available.  The
2010 Festival Topics, Topic Tips, and Bibliography are now available
on the Department's webpages

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/religioused/sjcof

As more information from the Metropolises arrives, with the dates and
locations of District and Metropolis Festivals, it will be posted.
The 2010 Archdiocese Festival will be hosted by the Direct Archdiocese
District and held at the Holy Trinity Cathedral in New York City, from
June 4-6.

National GOYA Facebook Page Created

Our newest resource from the Department of Youth and Young Adult
Ministries has just been created. In an effort to create a presence on
facebook, we have created a page that provides the GOYAn's of our
Archdiocese with community, updates, news, and information from across
the country. We hope that it will be a place for teens to learn about
their faith and upcoming GOYA events, as well as connect with each
other! On facebook you can search for "GOYA- Greek Orthodox Youth of
America" and become a "fan".

Orthodox Christian Fellowship Announces REAL BREAK registration is open
Join hundreds of other college students this Spring Break with Real
Break, the service learning program of OCF. This year's trips are
scheduled for Constantinople, Jerusalem, Greece, Romania, and more.
Register online now at www.ocf.net/realbreak. Hurry while there are
still openings!!!

NEW FAITH AND LIFE RESOURCE ON ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE: A new brochure
on the Ecumenical Patriarchate has been released in the Faith and Life
series.  The brochure is designed as an online resource that can be
downloaded, printed and distributed in the parish as a educational
resource.  Access this new brochure and other resources on the Faith
and Life web site at

www.goarch.org/ourfaith/faithandlife

2010 STEWARDSHIP RESOURCES AVAILABLE:  Stewardship resources for the
2010 Stewardship Year have been sent to Greek Orthodox clergy serving
parishes throughout the Archdiocese of America. In our efforts to
provide your parish with practical ministry resources under a unified
theme, the National Ministries of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of
America are creating resources for the coming Ecclesiastical Year
under the general theme of the 2008 Clergy-Laity Congress: Gather My
People to My Home with the sub-theme of â??Come and See?â??  Additional
Stewardship ressources for the parish will be forthcoming. Contact the
Department of Stewardship, Outreach & Evangelism: telephone
646-519-6160 / email stewardship@goarch.org.

PLANNER FOR 2009-10 IS NOW AVAILABLE: The annual planner published by
the Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries is now available.
Use The Planner to keep track of all your schedules. Keep a daily
focus on Christ with Scriptural readings, fast days, prayers, saints
of the day, and inspiration from the Fathers. The Planner follows the
Ecclesiastical (church) year beginning in September and ending in
August. Spiral bound and digital versions available.  Order now at

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/youth/planner2009

THIS WEEK FROM THE ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN NETWORK

COME RECEIVE THE LIGHT - THE NATIONALLY SYNDICATED RADIO PROGRAM OF
ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY
On today's episode of Come Receive the Light, we welcome Fr. Antonio
Perdomo of St. George the Great Martyr Orthodox Church in Pharr Texas
to the show. He talks about his work reaching out to Spanish-speaking
people with the Word of our Holy Orthodox Faith. In a short segment,
Dr. David C. Ford of St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary tells
a little about St. John Chrysostom, whose Nameday we celebrate on
November 13th. All of us know of this important Saint, but many of us
don't know much about who he was.
*******************
2009 - Year of Changes and Challenges
2009 has been a year of extraordinary change for us as individuals, as
families and even as a Church.  Regardless of how many changes we are
confronted with, we can always turn to our Faith for inspiration,
guidance and comfort. Orthodoxy, by its very nature, is the
unchanging, guiding light that helps us through life.
But how do we turn to our Faith? Thatâ??s where the Orthodox Christian
Network comes in. We are dedicated to making the timeless Truth of our
Orthodox Church readily available to you. Using three online radio
stations and twenty podcasts, OCN can help you feel inspired by and
connected to the Church.
Give at least $100 at this time and be entered to win an OCN Apple
Nano. We are funded entirely by listeners like you and need your help
to continue sharing our Timeless Faith in a timely fashion. Your end
of the year gift will help us bring you and your family inspiring
music, lessons and personal stories of our Church as you work, surf
the internet, or even go for a run with your mp3 player!
Visit our web site at www.myocn.net for further details.
*******************
RADIO SOLUTIONS for Orthodox Christian Parishes Worldwide
The Orthodox Christian Network (The OCN) is pleased to announce a new
service to Orthodox parishes and ministries world wide?Customized
Online Radio Stations. Sincce recently acquiring new online radio
server software, we can now offer completely customized 24/7 online
radio stations in a cost effective and efficient way allowing parishes
to stay connected to their parishioners more so than ever before. OCN
looks forward to being your supplier of customized Orthodox Christian
programming. For more information about Orthodox Internet radio
solutions visit our web site at www.myocn.net or call us today at
954-522-5567 to speak to one of our support staff.
*******************
ADVERTISING/SPONSORSHIP Opportunities
Sponsor a program or feature your company on the high trafficked
MyOCN.net website. OCN is now making available the opportunity for
people and corporations to advertise on our site to support the
ministry. Ad space is available so call our headquarters to discuss
it. Call today 954-467-1515.
**********************
INTERNET RADIO STATIONS
Listen to the Ark and the Rudder for contemporary and traditional
Orthodox music. Watch myocn.net for our new talk-only streaming radio
station called THE ANCHOR, which will debut in about one month. Have
you seen our new interactive RUDDER page design yet?
**********************
THIS WEEKâ??S PODCASTS
This week on Theologically Thinking, Fr. Athanasios C. Haros gives his
sermon on Luke 8.41-56 entitled "We are All Worthy of His Love". This
week's Harmony of Thunder does something a little different: Fr. David
reads the entire sermon of St. Cyril of Jerusalem on the sacrament of
chrismation, without comment.  Listen to HOT this week to hear this
powerful and beautiful description of the mystery of the coming of the
Holy Spirit into every believer's life. This week on Special Moments
in Orthodoxy, Fr. Chrsitopher and Terry Mattingly will discuss the
media and the importance of St. Nicholas as we approach this years
Christmas season. This week on Mission Possible, Ginny Nieuwsma will
speak with Jane Meyer author of "The life of St. Brigid" and "The Man
and the Vine"   about the importance of Reading.  Jane discusses how
introducing your children to books can open up a new world allowing
them to learn about God and his creation. There will also be a new
episode of Get Wisdom with Jason Barker.
**********************
Upcoming CRTL programs for November CRTL
During the month of November, Come Receive the Light will feature the
following guest speakers and topics: (11/20) Fr. Timothy Chrapko,
associate pastor at St. Volodymyr's Ukrainian Orthodox Church in
Alberta, Canada, will discuss the sacrament of Baptism; (11/27)
Subdeacon Irenaios Anderson from Saint Herman Theological Seminary in
Kokiak, Alaska, will tell us about the role of prophets in the Old
Testament, particularly Nahum and Habakkuk.
*******************
OCN and your iPhone - With the release of the Ark and the Rudder in
one convenient and free download, listeners will have even more
options from which to listen to OCN's Orthodox liturgical music,
groundbreaking podcasts and contemporary Orthodox music. To download
your copy, go to the iTunes application store and type ocn. The
download is free and is effortless to install. Visit our web site for
details at
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=3263
07494&mt=8.
*******************
OCN NOW - Special Report - Unity In American Orthodoxy - What does
this actually mean and how will it take place?
Watch for special reporting over the next several months from people
in the know concerning the historic meeting in Chambesy and its
ramifications for the Orthodox Christian Churches in America.

All programs available on Internet Radio, Podcast and On Demand at
www.myocn.net.

DAILY BIBLE READINGS FOR FACEBOOK AND iGoogle: The Department of
Internet Ministries has launched an enhancement to its Online Chapel
service that will now provide Facebook and iGoogle users access to the
daily Bible readings and lives of the saints directly from their
customized home pages. Visit the Online Chapel at
http://www.goarch.org/chapel  for more information on how to add the
new Online Chapel for Facebook and Online Chapel for iGoogle to your home  pages

ORTHODOX MARKETPLACE - www.orthodoxmarketplace.com

--------------------

Now available on the Orthodox Marketplace:

The Planner 2009-2010

---------------------

The Planner is used by thousands of Orthodox Christians to keep track
of fasting periods, feastdays and of course their own schedules and
plans for the ecclesiastical year. The calendar runs from Sept 1, 2009
to Aug 31, 2010. The Planner is produced by the Department of Youth  Ministry.

You can purchase the 2009-2010 Planner online for $13.95 by going here
with your web browser:

www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/calendars/the-planner-2009-2010.html

The Children's Bible Reader - English Edition - BACK IN STOCK

Having gone out of print after two runs, we have brought this
soon-to-be classic back into print. This title features the same
spread of bible stories from the Old and New Testament accompanied by
Byzantine-style illustrations. The tone and paraphrase of the text is
faithful to the biblical original. The stories walk the child through
the history of the faithful, the lessons of Christ to the disciples,
the experience of the apostles and the glory of God's Kingdom.

Now available for $19.99, bookstore and parish discounts are
available. Select 'Parish or School' or 'Bookstore' as your membership
on your user profile to apply for the discount.

You can purchase the Bible Reader in English here:

www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/children-and-039s-1/childrens-bible-reader
-english-edition.html

SCOBA, the Orthodox Marketplace, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of
America, and the American Bible Society are partnering to offer the
acclaimed Children's Bible Reader to military families with children
at a 50% discount for a limited time.  Just fill out this survey to
receive your discount coupon:

www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB229BUWPHN76

Orthodox Military New Testament and Psalms

This special edition of the New Testament and Psalms includes several
full color icon plates, devotional prayers, short articles about faith
topics relevant to servicemen and women, pages to list the living and
the dead for personal prayer discipline. It is 4" x 6", softcover, and
fits easily in your pocket.

A suggested donation of $5 per copy is requested. Servicemen and
military chaplains may receive a coupon allowing them to get free
copies by filling out the following survey online:

www.zoomerang.com/Survey/survey.zgi?p=WEB229B4RX2WD4

New Music and Video

-------------------

We have added several new titles to our catalog over the past few
weeks, including:

* Akathist to the Mother of God: Nurturer of Children (Based on the
text from St. Sergius Monastery)
* Pascha: The Resurrection of Christ DVD (aired on ABC around Pascha 2009)
* Jesus Prayer Rings - additional women's and men's sizes are now available.

Be sure to check our web page and subscribe to our newsletter for more
information as it becomes available.

www.orthodoxmarketplace.com

The Orthodox Marketplace is the Official Online Store of the Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese.

SUPPORT THE ARCHDIOCESE WHILE SEARCHING or SHOPPING ON THE WEB:  The
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese has partnered with GoodSearch.com, a new
search engine that donates half its revenue, about a penny per search,
to the charities its users designate. You use it just as you would any
search engine, and it's powered by Yahoo!, so you get great results.
To use GoodSearch.com and support the ministries of the Archdiocese,
simply go to:

www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=833607

For online shopping visit

www.goodsearch.com/goodshop.aspx

GAMES ONLINE TO EXPLORE AND LEARN THE ORTHODOX FAITH: The Department
of Internet Ministries is pleased to announce an exciting new web site
at http://games.goarch.org  where kids and adults of all ages can
explore, create, play, learn, discover, and grow in the Orthodox
Faith. The site features online games and puzzles in a colorful,
engaging environment, all with an Orthodox theme. The games are
suitable for kids from ages 5 on up and currently features a coloring
book, jigsaw puzzles, a memory game, a word finder, crossword puzzles,
and more.

The online games are currently in beta and we encourage feedback so
that we can further enhance this new online offering.  Click here to
visit: games.goarch.org