From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

American Baptist National Ministries Builds Foundation For Future Ministry

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:24:47 -0800

American Baptist News Service (ABNS)

National Ministries Builds Foundation For Future Ministry

VALLEY FORGE, PA (11/24/09)?At a meeting of the Board of National
Ministries last week, where discussions about proposed bylaws changes
took center stage, Executive Director Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins
III asked in his report to members, ?Can you see what I see??

Wright-Riggins? question pointed to his vision of National Ministries?
future: ?This is the heart of what I want to talk to you about,? he
said. The upcoming year, which will launch the second decade of the
21st century, will be a ?bridge year? in which the organization
celebrates its past while ?looking forward to ask where God is taking
us? He added, ?It?s not so much the mission that we do as it is the
mission we help others to do.?

Wright-Riggins? remarks set the stage for lengthy discussion of
proposed bylaws changes designed to increase the board?s efficiency
and, therefore, empower more effective mission. These changes include:

* A decrease in the board?s size to 15-19 members, which will result
in reduced meeting costs, and the development of new committees,
including a governance committee.

* The ABCUSA president will have the opportunity to choose a director
for the Board of National Ministries; this provision cannot be changed
without the approval of ABCUSA. In addition, all directors of National
Ministries, The American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS), must
be members of American Baptist churches.

* An important addition is the preamble, which lays out information
regarding the incorporation of ABHMS and its connection to the
Northern Baptist Convention, which later became ABCUSA. Also included
in the preamble are affirmations of mission as stated in the Act of
Incorporation, and affirmations of the values of mutuality and
respect, as well as the principles of autonomy and interdependence. In
addition, ABHMS affirms in the preamble the ABCUSA vision statement,
which states in part: ?American Baptists are a Christ-centered,
biblically grounded, ethnically diverse people called to radical
personal discipleship in Christ Jesus. Our commitment to Jesus propels
us to nurture authentic relationships with one another; build healthy
churches; transform our communities, our nations and our world; engage
every member in hands-on ministry; and speak the prophetic word in love.?

During the meeting, ABHMS directors met with directors of
International Ministries, the American Baptist Foreign Mission
Society, to review proposed changes together, ask questions and hear
reports from the executive directors of both organizations.

ABHMS directors voted unanimously to approve the proposed amended
bylaws and recommend their adoption by the organization?s corporate
members at a meeting scheduled for December 21. Bylaws changes will go
into effect January 1, 2012.

In other business, Rev. Eddie Cruz, associate executive director for
mission interpretation and development, announced the 2010 America for
Christ Offering??With Willing Hands: Care. Connect. Celebrate.?
Offering materials?posters, leaders? guides, bulletin inserts, videos
and more?will be mailed to churches in December.

The meeting closed with lunch and featured speaker Rev. J. Brent
Walker, executive director of the Baptist Joint Committee (BJC).
Walker reminded National Ministries? directors and staff that
religious liberty is the first freedom protected by the First
Amendment in the Bill of Rights. BJC, he said, works every day ?to
extend and defend religious liberty and the separation of church and state. ?

American Baptists can help to promote this important ministry by:

* Inviting BJC to speak at churches and other organizations;

* Promoting BJC?s annual essay contest (see nationalministries.org);

* Applying for internships at BJC?s Washington, D.C., offices; and

* Advocating for religious liberty in their churches, schools and
places of employment.

American Baptist Churches is one of the most diverse Christian
denominations today, with 5,500 local congregations comprised of 1.3
million members, across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged
in God?s mission around the world.