From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious Faith Must Play a Role in Climate Change Talks

From "Broadhurst, Tom" <tbroadhu@united-church.ca>
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:41:18 -0500

For Immediate Release  -- Thursday, November 26, 2009

Religious Faith Must Play a Role in Climate Change Talk s

Toronto: "We believe the United Nations Climate Change Co nference is a
place where faith and science must intersect."

That's the message contained in an open letter to Canad ians posted on
The United Church of Canada's website (www.united-church.ca).  The letter
was written by the church's Moderator Mardi Tindal and  former Member of
Parliament and United Church minister David MacDonald.

Both will be attending the UN Climate Change Conference  as part of an
international delegation of religious leaders organized by  the World
Council of Churches.

"Science tells us what is and, given certain parameters,  what will come
to be. Spiritual values teach us what ought to be. On ly the two, working
together, can see us safely through this perilous time,"  says Tindal.

In the letter, Tindal and MacDonald explain they believe  that religious
faith offers a unique perspective to the climate change  talks.

They write, "Faith groups, perhaps uniquely among human i nstitutions,
are predisposed to take a longer view. In responding to  climate change
processes, which play out over decades, if not centuries,  these
perspectives are an essential counterpoint to the pressure  of thinking
that can be dominated by the next quarter, or the nex t election."

This is why the Copenhagen meeting is unprecedented, says  the letter.
"It is where people of many faiths and no faith must  come to terms with
the kind of world we want for ourselves, our children,  and our
grandchildren. Envisioning or creating the world we want  means we need
to work out a grand bargain that will allow life to  survive in a hopeful
and humane fashion. We will need to be prepared to ma ke decisions,
sacrifices, and gestures of good will toward one another  and the
planet."

Adds MacDonald, "As people of faith, we believe climate  change requires
not a quick technological fix but rather a transformation  in how we live
our lives on this fragile planet."

"These talks will almost certainly determine the fate of  coming
generations. The future of our children is at stake. Fi nding a way
forward will require that we attend to the best science  available, so we
are firmly grounded in reality. But it also demands tha t we recognize
the spiritual values that have guided humans for centurie s so we can
work toward a vision of wholeness," write Tindal and Ma cDonald in the
open letter.

"Our climate change discussions so far have tended to b e dominated by
economic and political considerations. These are important,  to be sure,
but they are not sufficient." MacDonald explains. "It is  vital that
people of faith participate to ensure future-shaping decisi ons are not
determined only by short-term considerations, such as what  is least
costly or most expedient."

"Whether we are people of faith, or people of no fait h, we all have a
stake in the climate change talks taking place in Copen hagen," says
Tindal. "We believe Canada's responsibility is to demonstra te moral
leadership in the face of this global climate crisis."

For more information, or to arrange media interviews, ple ase contact:

Mary-Frances Denis

Program Coordinator, Media and Public Relations
The United Church of Canada
Tel: 416-231-7680 ext. 2016
Toll-free: 1-800-268-3781 ext. 2016
E-mail: mdenis@united-church.ca