From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Washington ELCA Congregations to Hold Services to Remember Slain Officers

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 2 Dec 2009 17:11:15 -0600

Title: Washington ELCA Congregations to Hold Services to Remember Slain Officers
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>December 2, 2009

Washington ELCA Congregations to Hold Services to Remember Slain Officers
09-269-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Christ Lutheran Church, Lakewood, Wash., and
Trinity Lutheran Church, Tacoma (Parkland), Wash., have scheduled special
services Dec. 6 in remembrance of the four Lakewood police officers who
were killed Nov. 29 in an ambush at a Parkland coffee shop.

None of the four officers -- Sgt. Mark Renninger, Officer Tina
Griswold, Officer Ronald Owens and Officer Greg Richards -- or their
families were members of either congregation.

Christ Lutheran will hold "A Service of Lament, A Service of Hope,"
said the Rev. Ralf Kalms, pastor.  The congregation will light candles in
honor of the police officers and their families.

The fatal shootings happened on a Sunday morning.  The congregation
included the officers and their families in prayers at worship, Kalms
said.

The Rev. Kristi H. Kreamer, pastor, Christ Lutheran, said Lakewood is
a small community, and many residents knew the officers and their
families. "It's definitely hit a very personal nerve here," she said in a
phone message.

Trinity Lutheran Church has scheduled a service of hymns, prayers and
readings for members and the Parkland community, said the Rev. Timothy J.
Stewart.  The theme of the service will be "Christian Hope in the Face of
Violence," he said.

At least two additional public memorials are planned for the four
police officers, Kalms said.  A community memorial is scheduled for Dec. 2
in Lakewood, and a second memorial is planned for Dec. 8 at the Tacoma
Dome.  Some 20,000 police officers and citizens are expected to attend,
according to news reports.

Pacific Lutheran University (PLU), Tacoma, Wash., one of 28 colleges
and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, held a
candlelight vigil Nov. 30 for the four slain officers.  Prayers for the
officers were included at a chapel service earlier in the day.

PLU President Loren J. Anderson urged students, faculty and staff to
stand in solidarity with the families, friends and colleagues of the four
officers. He urged them "to work together as a community to find ways that
we can contribute, ways that we can express our sympathy and care, ways
that we can show support for all who daily take risks and serve, new ways
that we can help to build a community of opportunity for all," according
to PLU's Web site.

The suspect in the murders, Maurice Clemmons, was fatally shot by a
Seattle police officer Dec. 1 following an intensive manhunt in the area.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog