From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Former ELCA Presiding Bishops Call on Members for Prayers, Financial Gifts

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:44:11 -0600

Title: Former ELCA Presiding Bishops Call on Members for Prayers, Financial Gifts
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>December 3, 2009

Former ELCA Presiding Bishops Call on Members for Prayers, Financial Gifts
09-270-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Two former presiding bishops of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) have appealed to members to pray for
unity of the church and its mission, and to contribute financial gifts to
support the ELCA.

"Our troubled world needs the Good News of the Gospel and all that
flows from it," wrote the Rev. Herbert W. Chilstrom and the Rev. H.
George Anderson, in a Dec. 3 e-mail message. "Our differences must not
divide us at a time like this. We are absolutely certain that we can
continue to live together and serve as one family in the ELCA."

Chilstrom, St. Peter, Minn., was the ELCA's first presiding bishop,
serving from 1987 to 1995.  Anderson, Decorah, Iowa, succeeded him,
serving from 1995 to 2001.

The former presiding bishops began their letter with an
invitation "to join us in prayer and action for the mission and ministry"
of the ELCA.

"Like you, we became children of God in the waters of Baptism," they
wrote. "And, like you, we have found our primary identity with this
church through local congregations, including the ones to which we now
belong. This is where we receive Word and Sacrament that keep faith
alive."

The two former presiding bishops said they have been blessed through
two other expressions of the ELCA: synods and the churchwide
organization.  "All are gifts from God," Anderson and Chilstrom wrote.

They wrote how the ELCA has positively affected their lives, through
participation in Sunday school and youth ministry; education at ELCA
colleges and seminaries; service as pastors and leaders; ministry to
people living in hunger and poverty, and those treated unjustly; and
connections to companion churches around the world.

"All of this, and much more, has happened because we have been part
of the ELCA, a church whose roots reach all the way back to the beginning
of Lutheranism in this country," the former presiding bishops wrote.

The church and the nation have been sailing through some "rough
waters," the former presiding bishops wrote, pointing to drops in income
and growing unemployment.

They also noted that some members were disappointed with the
decisions regarding human sexuality made at the 2009 Churchwide
Assembly.  But Anderson and Chilstrom wrote that they believe those
decisions "were the right decisions."

The assembly directed changes to the church's ministry policies.
Those changes, which created the possibility for people in publicly
accountable, lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships to serve as
clergy and professional lay workers, have caused some disagreement in the
ELCA.

"As a result, some have withdrawn or reduced support for our
mission. The consequences of these events are painful. This church's
mission and ministry have been diminished," they wrote.

The presiding bishops asked recipients of their message to consider
giving to Vision for Mission, which supports the mission of the ELCA.
Anderson and Chilstrom also asked recipients of their e-mail to send it
to friends who "share our concern for this church."

>---

Information about giving to Vision for Mission is at
http://www.elca.org/supporttheelca on the ELCA Web site.

Gifts may also be sent by check payable to the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago, IL 60694-1764; or by credit
or debit card by calling 800-638-3522.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog