From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Lilian 'Flower' Robinson Ross, lay ministry champion, dies at 80

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:45:32 -0500

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* PEOPLE - Lilian 'Flower' Robinson Ross, lay ministry champion, dies at  80
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Funding cuts threaten KAIROS
* OPINION - Reflecting the light: Drawing closer to poor reveals
unexpected treasure
* ARTS - Church calendar features Episcopal artist's work
* DAYBOOK - December 4: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - God With Us - Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Lilian 'Flower' Robinson Ross, lay ministry champion, dies at 80

[Episcopal News Service] Lilian "Flower" Robinson Ross, co-creator and
champion of Education for Ministry, an educational program for
lay-people in ministry, died Nov. 30 in Asheville, North Carolina. She
was 80.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_117498_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

>CANADA: Funding cuts threaten KAIROS

>By Marites N. Sison

[Anglican Journal] The federal government has decided to cut CAN$7
million (US$6.64 million) in funding to KAIROS, a Canadian ecumenical
justice organization that advocates for the rights of marginalized
communities in Canada and overseas.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_117488_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Reflecting the light

Drawing closer to poor reveals unexpected treasure

>By Katharine Jefferts Schori

[Episcopal News Service] How do we encounter the poor? Are they simply
the recipients of our unwanted clothing or our spare change, forgotten
until we are confronted by a Salvation Army bell-ringer or a
donation-collection truck?

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_117487_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

Church calendar features Episcopal artist's work

>By staff

[Episcopal News Service] A mixed-media creation by an Episcopal artist
who has worked with biblical and liturgical motifs for several years
was chosen for the cover and inside page of a Canadian church
calendar.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_117490_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On December 4, 2009, the church remembers John of Damascus, priest.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On December 4, 1779, Thomas Cotterill, hymnist and
priest, was born at Cannock, Staffordshire, England. On December 4,
birth control, Pope Pius XI issued the encyclical Casti connubii.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"God With Us - Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas" from Paraclete
Press, edited by Greg Pennoyer & Gregory Wolfe, 185 pages, hardcover,
c. 2007, 2008, $29.95

[Paraclete Press] God with us. This is the meaning of the Incarnation.
This is the meaning of Christmas. When we cut through all of the
sentiment and marketing to the spiritual richness and vitality of
Christmas, we not only discover who God is, but who we are as human
beings.

When we become adults, and the wide-eyed wonder of childhood has
passed, we need to replace what was once magical with something much
more meaningful.

Now is the time to put first things first, and seek silence, if only
for a few precious minutes a day. Now, ever more intently, we are to
watch and listen for God.

God With Us is a companion for those who want to experience Christmas
as the early Christians once did, set in the larger context of Advent
and Epiphany. Through daily meditations, scripture, prayer,
illuminating history and fine art, we experience what saints have
glimpsed through the ages - the wonder of God made flesh.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800.903.5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.