From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Los Angeles diocese elects Diane Jardine Bruce as first woman bishop suffragan / Presiding Bis

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 4 Dec 2009 18:59:23 -0500

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Los Angeles diocese elects Diane Jardine Bruce as first
woman bishop suffragan
* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop says church opposes proposed Ugandan  legislation
* WORLD REPORT - CONGO: Unidentified illness kills 15 pupils at
church-run school
* MISSION - Reclaiming the true St. Nicholas
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: St. Nicholas
* DAYBOOK - December 7: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Thistle Farms Healing Lavender Hand Lotion

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Los Angeles diocese elects Diane Jardine Bruce as first woman bishop  suffragan

Convention poised to elect second bishop suffragan

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Canon Diane Jardine Bruce became the
first woman elected a bishop in the Diocese of Los Angeles on Dec. 4,
pending the required consents.

Bruce, 53, rector for nine years of St. Clements by-the-Sea Church in
San Clemente, California, in the Los Angeles diocese, was elected on
the third ballot.

She was elected in the first of two elections for bishops suffragan
planned during "Faith and Our Future," the 114th annual diocesan
convention held Dec. 4-5 at the Riverside Convention Center in
Riverside, California.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_117534_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Presiding Bishop says church opposes proposed Ugandan legislation

Planned Executive Council teleconference on anti-homosexuality bill  cancelled

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
said Dec. 4 that the church believes "the public scapegoating of any
category of persons, in any context, is anathema" and thus is "deeply
concerned" about a proposed Ugandan law that would introduce the death
penalty for people who violate that country's anti-homosexuality laws.

Jefferts Schori also noted in her statement that "much of the current
climate of fear, rejection, and antagonism toward gay and lesbian
persons in African nations has been stirred by members and former
members of our own church."

"We note further that attempts to export the culture wars of North
America to another context represent the very worst of colonial
behavior," she said. "We deeply lament this reality, and repent of any
way in which we have participated in this sin."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_117532_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CONGO: Unidentified illness kills 15 pupils at church-run school

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] A mysterious illness has swept through a
school in the Anglican Diocese of Kisangani, Congo, causing the death
of 15 pupils and hospitalizing eight more, according to Archbishop
Henri Isingoma of the Anglican Church of the Congo.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_117533_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

>Reclaiming the true St. Nicholas

>By staff

[Episcopal News Service] Our society must recover the tradition of St.
Nicholas if it wants to retain any semblance of the religious
significance of Christmas, declares the Rev. Canon James Rosenthal.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_117505_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: St. Nicholas

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_117507_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On December 7, 2009, the church calendar remembers Ambrose, bishop of  Milan.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On December 7, 521, Saint Columba, apostle to
Scotland, was born in Donegal, Ireland.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Thistle Farms Healing Lavender Hand Lotion" from Thistle Farms, 8 oz.,  $17

[Thistle Farms] Hand-made especially for your hands. Our hand lotion
uses natural ingredients to nourish and soften dry skin. Your hands
are capable of greatness. Treat them well.

Ingredients: Water, olive oil, honey, rice bran oil, grapeseed oil,
emulsifying wax NF, stearic acid, citric acid, polyaminopropyl
biguanide (looks like a scary word, but it's really just a paraben
free preservative!). If scented, contains essential and/or fragrance
oils.

Thistle Farms is a non-profit business run by women who have survived
lives of violence, prostitution, and abuse. Thistle Farms products are
hand-made by the very women they benefit. All proceeds go back into
Thistle Farms and the residential program, Magdalene, where the women
live in community for 2 years. Into every product goes the belief that
love is the strongest force for change in the world.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.