From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian hospitals top the list of hospitals with nation’s best psychiatrists

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:56:51 -0800

>      Taiwan Church News

>3015 Edition

>December 7~13 2009

Christian hospitals top the list of hospitals with nation’s  best psychiatrists

>Reported by Lin Yi-ying

>Written by Lydia Ma

In a survey distributed to 2,082 individuals, respondents said  that qualities associated

with a good mental health doctor (psychologists and psychiatrists)  included patience,

empathy, professionalism, trustworthiness, and good communication  skills. Another

survey distributed to 54 hospitals across Taiwan resulted in ten  individuals being

nominated as the nation’s best psychiatrists. Among the list  of nominees were three

doctors who worked at PCT-affiliated hospitals.

Dr. Dung Jing-hung from Sinlau Hospital placed second, Dr. Fang  Jiun-kai from

Mackay Memorial Hospital placed tenth, and Dr. Hou Yu-ming from  Chiayi Christian

Hospital placed eighth. The winner was Dr. Kuo Yu-zhu from  Zhuo-Ying Armed Forces

>General Hospital.

According to Department of Health statistics, more than 1.9  million Taiwanese suffer

from depression every year, but fewer than 2.3% of them ever seek  medical attention.

In other words, most people in Taiwan would rather go to the  hospital to seek

>treatment for any disease but depression.

Christian artist Hung Bai-jung commented that she didn’t want  to seek medical

attention either when she first became depressed. After much  encouragement and

some referrals from close friends, she finally summoned her  courage and went to see

a trusted physician who diagnosed her with postpartum depression.  Hung’s health

>improved steadily after receiving treatment.

Dr. Kuo said that from her experience, doctors must first display  a lot of empathy and

genuine concern if they want to discover the reason behind a  patient’s depression and

>prescribe the best type of treatment.

Dr. Tung mentioned during an interview with Taiwan Church News  that he is personally

against prescribing high doses of anti-depressants to patients. He  finds that spending

more time with patients to discover the root of their depression  is more effective than

merely prescribing treatment. Tung also shared that at the end of  each session, he

often prays with patients if they are willing, and such times can  be wonderful

opportunities to introduce the gospel to patients and let them  know that they can

>depend on Jesus to save and heal them.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)