From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] GTS's Dean Ewing announces retirement plans

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:41:59 -0500

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - RHODE ISLAND: Sudanese bishop speaks of hope in
the midst of violence
* MISSION - Fishing for sustainability in Haiti
* PEOPLE - GTS's Dean Ewing announces retirement plans
* OPINION - Proposed law potential 'genocide' for LGBT Ugandans
* DAYBOOK - December 14: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Thistle Farms Tea Tree Mint Hand Soap

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

RHODE ISLAND: Sudanese bishop speaks of hope in the midst of violence

>By Ruth Meteer

[Diocese of Rhode Island] "We should not continue to be second-class
citizens in our own country" is a well-known phrase to Americans
familiar with the 1960s civil rights movement, but one that southern
Sudan Bishop John Zawo of the Diocese of Ezo spoke frequently during
his recent month-long visit to the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_117742_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

>Fishing for sustainability in Haiti

>By Phina Borgeson

[Episcopal News Service] When Bill Mebane presented a paper on his
work with fish ponds in Haiti at the annual agricultural conference of
ECHO (Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization) in December, he
was achieving one of the goals for next steps in this ministry. Mebane
wants to disseminate what he and his colleagues have learned about
sustainable tilapia farming to others working to address hunger among
poor rural people.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_117737_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>GTS's Dean Ewing announces retirement plans

[Episcopal News Service] The Very Rev. Ward Burleson Ewing, dean and
president of the General Theological Seminary (GTS), has told the
school he plans to retire.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_117744_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Proposed law potential 'genocide' for LGBT Ugandans

>By Cynthia Black

>[Episcopal News Service] "WE ARE NOT SAFE!"

That's what Denis, a field producer for the film Voices of Witness
Africa and a gay Ugandan, told me when I asked about current
conditions in Uganda for gay folks.

"The witch hunt has begun and will only get worse," said another
friend, who asked to remain anonymous.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_117740_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On December 14, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On December 14, 1715, Thomas Tenison, Archbishop
of Canterbury, beginning in 1695, died in London.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Thistle Farms Tea Tree Mint Hand Soap" from Thistle Farms, 8 oz., $12

[Thistle Farms] All-natural hand soap from Thistle Farms uses
sunflower seed and coconut oils to gently and effectively clear away
dirt.

Ingredients: Distilled Water, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Coconut
Oil, Organic Glycerin, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Palm Kernel Acid,
Potassium Citrate, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils.

Thistle Farms is a non-profit business run by women who have survived
lives of violence, prostitution, and abuse. Thistle Farms products are
hand-made by the very women they benefit. All proceeds go back into
Thistle Farms and the residential program, Magdalene, where the women
live in community for 2 years. Into every product goes the belief that
love is the strongest force for change in the world.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800.903.5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.