From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Presiding Bishop visits Dallas, commissions church's newest jubilee center / Copenhagen unites

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:41:45 -0500

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop visits Dallas, commissions church's
newest jubilee center
* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts for Dec. 20 feature Presiding Bishop's
Christmas message
* TOP STORY - Copenhagen unites Anglicans hoping to combat climate  change
* TOP STORY - Archbishop discusses Uganda's proposed
anti-homosexuality law in newspaper interview
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Tutu joins thousands objecting to KAIROS'  funding cuts
* WORLD REPORT - UGANDA: Anglican church warns on homosexuality
* PEOPLE - Atlanta cathedral dean named Fund for Theological Education  trustee
* MULTIMEDIA: Video: Lessons and Carols from St. Bartholomew's Church,  New York
* DAYBOOK - December 15: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - I Sing the Birth

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Presiding Bishop visits Dallas, commissions church's newest jubilee  center

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's
Christmas prayer for both the Episcopal Church
(http://www.episcopalchurch.org) and the Anglican Communion
(http://www.anglicancommunion.org) involves "searching for where the
work of God is already going on in places we haven't discovered."

Her prayer also includes "serving the Gospel to the best of our
ability" in contexts both familiar and new and "continuing to live out
transforming the world as individuals and community," she told
reporters after participating in a Dec. 12 forum, "Who is Christ?"
hosted by St. Michael and All Angels Church
(http://www.saintmichael.org) in Dallas.

About 600 people attended the forum, which also featured the Rt. Rev.
William Frey, retired bishop of the Diocese of Colorado
(http://www.coloradodiocese.org), who is serving as the interim bishop
of the Diocese of Rio Grande (http://www.dioceserg.org). The bishops
were invited to share views of who Christ is for them personally and
to discuss the relationship between Christ and the culture.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_117818_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bulletin inserts for Dec. 20 feature Presiding Bishop's Christmas  message

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's
2009 Christmas message of hope and light in Christ is available as a
bulletin insert from Episcopal Life Weekly for use on Sunday, Dec. 20.
'Jesus is already abroad, even in the darkness,' writes Jefferts
Schori. 'The hungry one fed, the street people who have their feet
cared for, the humble and honored guest at your dinner table -- each
one offers a glimpse of that dawn, if you look closely enough.'

Bulletin inserts are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

Editor's note: Bulletin inserts will not be produced for Dec. 27 or
Jan. 3. The inserts will resume on Jan. 10.

>- - - - -

Copenhagen unites Anglicans hoping to combat climate change

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] As church bells rang throughout the world
Dec. 13 to mark Christianity's commitment to combating climate change,
Anglican leaders were making their voices heard about global warming
in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The United Nations Climate Change Conference Dec. 7-18 in the Danish
capital welcomed world and faith leaders, including Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Archbishop
Desmond Tutu. Both spoke at a Dec. 13 ecumenical worship service in
Church of Our Lady, Copenhagen's Lutheran cathedral, about the
religious imperative to cut carbon emissions and save the planet from
further environmental degradation.

At the same time, church bells tolled 350 times around the world to
symbolize the 350 parts per million that many scientists say mark the
safe upper limit for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_117774_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop discusses Uganda's proposed anti-homosexuality law in
newspaper interview

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] In a Dec. 12 interview with a London
newspaper, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams said legislation
pending in the Ugandan Parliament that would introduce the death
penalty for people who violate portions of that country's
anti-homosexuality laws "is of shocking severity."

These were the first public comments Williams has made about the
proposed changes to Uganda's existing laws against homosexuality. The
bill being advanced by a member of parliament has drawn opposition
from leaders and advocates in the Episcopal Church and elsewhere.

"Overall, the proposed legislation is of shocking severity and I can't
see how it could be supported by any Anglican who is committed to what
the communion has said in recent decades," Williams told a reporter
for The Telegraph.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_117773_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Tutu joins thousands objecting to KAIROS' funding cuts

>By Marites N. Sison

[Anglican Journal] South African Nobel Peace Laureate and Anglican
Archbishop Desmond Tutu has joined thousands of other Canadians who
have sent letters to Prime Minister Stephen Harper decrying the cuts
to government funding for the Canadian ecumenical justice group,
KAIROS.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_117805_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

UGANDA: Anglican church warns on homosexuality

>By Fredrick Nzwili

[Ecumenical News International, Nairobi] A Ugandan Anglican bishop
says he fears the election of a lesbian priest to be a suffragan
bishop in the U.S.-based Episcopal Church will mark the final step to
schism in the 77-million worldwide Anglican Communion.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_117806_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Atlanta cathedral dean named Fund for Theological Education trustee

[Episcopal News Service] The Very Rev. Samuel G. Candler, dean of the
Cathedral of St. Philip in the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta, is one of
four people recently elected by the Association of Theological Schools
(ATS) as members of the Fund for Theological Education's (FTE) board
of trustees.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_117798_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Video: Lessons and Carols from St. Bartholomew's Church, New York

[Episcopal News Service] St. Bartholomew's Choir, St. Bartholomew's
Boy and Girl Choristers and St. Bart's Singers offer works of Vaughan
Williams, Mathias, Stainer, Fauré and Andrew Carter as part of the
parish annual service of Advent Lessons and Carols.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/Advent2009

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On December 15, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On December 15, 1843, A.B. (Albert Benjamin)
Simpson, Anglican priest and founder of the Christian Alliance and the
International Missionary Alliance, was born on Prince Edward Island,
Canada. On December 15, 1880, the Episcopal Diocese of Spokane was
organized into a missionary district.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"I Sing the Birth" from Avie Records, by New York Polyphony, CD, c.  2007, $19.95

[New York Polyphony] A varied collection of unaccompanied music that
spans nine centuries and nearly as many styles, I Sing the Birth is
receiving praise in both the United States and United Kingdom, where
it was first released.

Founded in 2006, New York Polyphony is rapidly gaining a reputation as
one of the finest classical vocal ensembles of this generation. The
four men, fusing elegant vocalism with expert ensemble singing,
deliver dynamic, historically informed performances in a range of
styles.

"Listeners will hear in the music a lot of individual identity.  We
create a single vision without compromising the four individual
voices.   We feel the music is much more passionate, the passion that
folks felt in their faith."  -- Geoffrey Williams, alto, New York
Polyphony

>Track list:

>* Smith: Veni Redemptor gentium
>* Hodie Christus natus est
>* Palestrina: Hodie Christus natus est
>* Puer natus est nobis
>* Leighton: Lully, lull, thou little tiny child
>* Perotin: Beat viscera
>* Cornysh: Ave Maria Mater Dei
>* Alma Redemtpris Mater
>* The darkest midnight in December
>* Maxwell Davies: The Fader of Heven
>* Vox in Rama
>* Clemens non Papa: Vox in Rama
>* Vox in Rama
>* Away in a manger
>* Parsons: Ave Maria
>* Coventry Carol
>* Ave Maria
>* Lullay, lullow, I saw a swete semly syght
>* Mervele noght, Josep
>* Nowell: Dieus wous garde, byewsser
>* Veni Redemptor gentium
>* Byrd: O magnum mysterium
>* Ecce advenit dominator Dominus
>* Clemens non Papa: Magi veniunt ab oriente
>* Smith: Nunc dimittis
>* Vox in Rama

>Alto: Geoffrey Williams
>Tenor: Geoffrey Silver
>Baritone: Scott Dispensa
>Bass-baritone: Craig Phillips

NEW YORK POLYPHONY was founded in 2006 with its musical advisor, Malcolm  Bruno

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800.903.5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.