From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC's Geoffrey Black Attends White House Reception

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:06:33 -0800

Black attends White House holiday reception

Written by Gregg Brekke
December 15, 2009

The Rev. Geoffrey A. Black, UCC general minister and president,
attended a Dec. 14 holiday reception at the White House. The event was
one of two receptions being held by the White House this holiday season.

He was invited as a result of his recent meeting with Paul Monteiro,
from the White House Office of Public Engagement, in which Black
expressed a desire to better engage with the President and his staff
on policy issues.

Black also extended a welcome to the Obamas from the UCC. "I asked
Paul [Monteiro] to let the President know that even though he had to
distance himself from the UCC during his campaign, many of us still
consider him part of the family," Black said.

At the conclusion of their meeting, Monteiro invited Black to the
upcoming holiday reception. "I didn't think seriously that it would
happen," said Black of the initial request. "I was surprised to see
the invitation arrive at my office the next week."

President and Michelle Obama were present, though Black didn't have a
chance to meet them personally. Black said the tone of the event was
"delightful and upbeat."

The President delivered a brief address in which he thanked those
present for their support of his first months in office and the desire
for his administration to continue working for meaningful change for
"everyday Americans." He concluded his remarks, and encouraged the
nearly 300 present to mingle by saying, "I hear the eggnog is good."

Entertainment was provided by a Marine Corps string quartet and the
Urban Nation Hip-Hop Choir from Washington, D.C., whom Black called
"musically talented and inspiring."

Black said he hopes to continue dialog with White House staff and
looks forward to meeting Joshua DuBois, executive director of the
White House Office on Faith Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, as
UCC leaders seek to have a voice in matters of faith and public policy.