From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC Missionaries Spend Terrifying Night in Port-au-Prince

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:49:22 -0800

Missionaries Spent a Terrifying Night

Jan. 13, 2010 -- Missionaries Howard and Ruth Van Dam spent Tuesday
night experiencing one terrifying aftershock after another in the wake
of the massive earthquake that hit Haiti late on Tuesday.

The Van Dams, who serve with Christian Reformed Church World Missions,
joined with their neighbors in the street to try to get some rest,
because the earthquake severely damaged their home. The earthquake
centered on the capital of Port-au-Prince, where the Van Dams live.
The area is home to about three million people.

"The people in the ravine beside our house were praising and singing
to God all night long. Still this morning we feel aftershocks but just
slight ones," the Van Dams wrote to CRWM the morning after the quake.

It was reported today, Wednesday, that all North American staff
serving with Christian Reformed World Missions, the Christian Reformed
World Relief Committee (CRWRC) and Back to God Ministries
International were spared from physical harm. The CRC does not yet
have full information about the status of the Haitian personnel
serving with partner organizations.

The Van Dams say the earthquake caused both of their water cisterns to
break, meaning they have no running water. Walls broke outside their
home and serious cracks appeared in the walls inside.

"We are now beginning to clean up our home slowly. There is a lot of
damage. We're not sure if it's actually livable," the reported.

"We are hearing reports from friends and co-workers. Most are fine
and we are so thankful. But we have also heard some horror stories and
we are burdened. Please pray for wisdom as we decided what to do."

Tuesday's earthquake, which measured 7.0 on the Richter scale, was the
strongest earthquake to rock Haiti in more than 200 years. A hospital
collapsed and many buildings were heavily damaged, including the
National Palace and the headquarters of the United Nations peacekeeper
force. Officials reported many bodies in the streets and an aid
official described the situation as "total disaster and chaos."

United Nations officials said a large number of U.N. personnel were
killed in the quake.  News reports estimate that thousands of others
died in the quake.

"Communications were widely disrupted, making it impossible to get a
full picture of damage as powerful aftershocks shook a desperately
poor country where many buildings are flimsy. Electricity was out in
some places," according to a news account.

As survivors clear rubble, search for loved ones, and mourn their
losses, the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC) is
providing support and preparing plans for long-term aid.
CRWRC's immediate response will be to meet urgent needs for things
like water, shelter and food.

"We want to get survivors out of the sun, out of the damage, and
hydrated," said CRWRC's Disaster Programme Manager, Jacqueline Koster.

CRWRC is collaborating with other organizations to ensure that the aid
efforts are coordinated.

Financial contributions for CRWRC's response are urgently needed.
Gifts marked "Haiti Earthquake 2010" can be given online at
www.crwrc.org, called in to 1-800-730-3490 (Canada) or sent to 3475
Mainway, PO Box STN LCD 1, Burlington, ON, L7R 3Y8.

In the US, call 1-800-552-7972 or mail checks to CRWRC, 2850 Kalamazoo
Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, MI, 49560.

Donations should be marked "515287 - Haiti Earthquake 2010."

CRWRC said it is not yet clear what role, if any, there will be for
volunteers in the relief response.  Anyone interested should in
volunteering should contact Carol Sybenga at 1-800-730-3490 or e-mail
volunteer@crcna.org.

Port-au - Prince is home to the French ministry follow-up center for
Back to God International (BTGMI). The ministry is conducted in
partnership with World Missions. BTGMI is trying to determine their condition.

Members of a delegation from the Reformed Church in America that was
in Haiti at the time of the earthquake are reported to be safe and are
making their way to the Dominican Republic to return home.

ServiceLink, the volunteer placement service for the CRC, has some
volunteers in the Dominican Republic. Although many of them felt the
trembling, they say they were not seriously impacted by the quake.
CRWM and CRWRc also have missionaries in the Dominican Republic.

The CRC has setup an Event Response Team, which met Wednesday to begin
to monitor the devastation in Haiti and to assess what needs the CRC
and its partners and personnel can address.

-CRC Communications

--
Chris Meehan
News & Media Director