From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Haiti Earthquake Encycical

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:04:05 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA

8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106 * Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax:
(212) 774-0237
www.goarch.org  Â  - Email: communications@goarch.org

Contact: PRESS OFFICE
Stavros Papagermanos
pressoffice@goarch.org

ARCHBISHOP ISSUES ENCYCLICAL CALLING FOR PRAYERS AND HELP
FOR THE EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS IN HAITI

NEW YORK ? With great sadness, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of
America and His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios received the tragic news
of the devastating destruction and the loss of human lives in Haiti
following the earthquake in that country yesterday, January 12, 2010.

?Our thoughts and prayers are now with the people of Haiti,? said
Archbishop Demetrios who immediately issued an encyclical calling upon
the faithful of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America to pray for
the safety, health and well being of all the people of Haiti and in
particular the Greek Orthodox faithful there.

In his encyclical to the parishes of the Archdiocese, (see full text
attached) the Archbishop also calls for all parishes ?to conduct a
special collection on Sunday, January 17 as a response of compassion
to the needs of the people of Haiti.?

There are two Greek Orthodox parishes in Haiti under the Metropolis of
Mexico. The first is the parish of St. John the Baptist in
Pétionville, a district in the capital of Port-au-Prince. The second
is the newly established parish of St. Mathias. Due to the severed
communications, the Metropolis of Mexico has not been able to
establish contact with the parishes until now.

== 30 ==

ARCHIEPISCOPAL ENCYCLICAL
Protocol 04/10

January 13, 2010

To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the
Monks and Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of
the Greek Orthodox Communities, the Distinguished Archons of the
Ecumenical Patriarchate, the Day, Afternoon, and Church Schools, the
Philoptochos Sisterhoods, the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and
the entire Greek Orthodox Family in America

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

It was with great sadness and compassion that we received
the tragic news of the devastating earthquake that struck yesterday
the country of Haiti, causing widespread destruction and loss of
countless lives. Thousands are presumed dead, many more have lost
family members, homes, and jobs, and the infrastructure and
institutions of the capital city, Port-au-Prince, are in ruins.

the faithful of the Greek Orthodox Church in America to offer their
fervent prayers for the people of Haiti.  May we help them through our
prayers to find heavenly solace in this hour of grief and pain, and
may they find strength and hope in Him through faith and through the
ministry of love and healing offered from around the world.  In
addition, may we also offer our prayers for the Greek Orthodox
faithful and the two parishes of Haiti who are under the archpastoral
leadership of His Eminence Metropolitan Athenagoras of Mexico. We pray
for their safety and well-being, and for their witness and service
during this difficult time.

I also ask that the parishes of our Holy Archdiocese
conduct a special collection on Sunday, January 17 as a response of
compassion to the needs of the people of Haiti. This country and its
people have experienced numerous tragedies and struggles, and this
natural disaster has deepened the challenges with the destruction of
hospitals, schools, churches, and relief centers.  It is requested
that the offerings be sent to the Archdiocese made out to the ?Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese? earmarked for the Haiti Relief Fund.

Through prayers, gifts, and service may we respond to this
tremendous crisis, knowing that our Lord will be faithful to bring
comfort and healing through our witness of His love.

With paternal love in Christ,

? DEMETRIOS

Archbishop of America