From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury's message of support for Haiti Victims

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:14:48 -0800

Archbishop of Canterbury's message of support for the victims of the
earthquake in Haiti

Posted On : January 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/1/15/ACNS4678

Related Categories: ACO  Lambeth

Thursday 14 January 2010

The Archbishop of Canterbury has given a message of support to the
people of Haiti affected by the devastation caused by Tuesday's
earthquake.

"I am profoundly shocked and concerned to hear about the devastating
earthquake in Haiti. As the news comes through, we are learning more
about the tragic loss of life, injury suffered and terrible damage to
the country. We stand alongside all the people in Haiti affected by this
terrible disaster in prayer, thought and action as the situation
unfolds. We pray for the rescue of those still trapped and look towards
the rebuilding of lives and communities.

I commend the swift action of the Department for International
Development and the relief agencies and churches in mobilising an
emergency response. In this time of catastrophic loss and destruction, I
urge the public to hold the people of Haiti in their prayers, and to
give generously and urgently to funding appeals set up for relief work."

Editors Note:

In the UK to donate to Christian Aid's Haiti Earthquake Appeal
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/emergencies/

Ireland. donations can be sent to Church of Ireland Bishops' Appeal,
Church of Ireland House, Church Avenue, Rathmines, Dublin 6.  Please
mark such donations 'Haiti Appeal'

USA. Episcopal Relief and Development
http://www.er-d.org/

Canada. The Primate's World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF)
http://www.canadahelps.org/CharityProfilePage.aspx?CharityID=s50860