From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRWRC Sets Up Logistics Center in Dominican Republic

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:56:49 -0800

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jacob Kramer, CRWRC Disaster Response Director, cell 905-515-1720 or
1-800-336-2920

Beth DeGraff, CRWRC Media Contact, cell 616-648-7821 or 1-800-55-CRWRC

CRWRC Sets Up Logistics Center in Dominican Republic

January 18, 2010?Due to the devastated infrastructure throughout
Haiti, the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC) is
setting up a logistics center in the Dominican Republic as a base for
procuring and distributing aid after last week?s 7.0 earthquake.

?Haiti doesn?t have large reserves of food and other supplies in the
best of times, so existing supplies are expected to be exhausted very
soon. Then, all supplies will have to come in from abroad,? said
CRWRC?s Disaster Response Director, Jacob Kramer. ?In addition, the
container cranes on the docks  in Port au Prince cannot be used. I
have talked to our staff in the Dominican Republic, and we are setting
up a logistics group with some other relief organizations that will be
based in Sant0 Domingo.?

CRWRC?s first priority is getting water, food, and medical aid to all
those who need it.

?Together with Trojan Industries we are readying three small,
self-contained water purification plants which should be on their way
on today,? reported Kramer.  ?We are also working with the Canadian
Foodgrains Bank to provide rice, corn meal, and beans. With Medical
Teams International, we are providing medical support?Our first
surgical team arrived last week and a specialized orthopedic team will
arrive later today.?

Once these immediate, emergency needs are met, CRWRC?s next priority
will be providing temporary and then more permanent shelter to those
who are homeless or whose homes are uninhabitable.

Financial donations to support CRWRC?s Haiti Earthquake response are
urgently needed.  Gifts can be made online at www.crwrc.org or by
phone at 1-800-55-CRWRC. Checks designated ?Haiti Earthquake 2010? can
be mailed to CRWRC, 2850 Kalamazoo Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
49560-0600.

To learn more about CRWRC?s international relief programs, go to
www.crwrc.org.

CRWRC is a non-profit agency of the Christian Reformed Church in North  America

ministering to people in need around the world with relief,
development, and justice.

-- 30 --

-- Beth DeGraff
CRWRC Media and Justice Contact
2850 Kalamazoo Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49560-0600
1-800-55-CRWRC
www.crwrc.org

Note that my email address has changed to bdegraff@crwrc.org.

CRWRC is a registered non-profit agency of the CRC-NA in both the U.S.
and Canada.