From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Missionaries call on church's deep connections with Haiti

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:50:20 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Missionaries call on church's deep connections with Haiti
* TOP STORY - Presiding bishop addresses needs in Haiti, Liberia in
Jan. 31 bulletin inserts
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - RIO GRANDE: Diocese announces bishop nominees
* WORLD REPORT - DENMARK: Lutheran church agrees Nordic accord with  Anglicans
* WORLD REPORT - SCOTLAND: Woman as candidate for bishop
'significant,' says campaigner
* PEOPLE - Robert Rowley, retired bishop of Northwestern Pennsylvania,
to be laid to rest
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: In Haiti, Episcopalians respond to
devastating earthquake
* OPINION - Shaken to the bone, called to respond
* DAYBOOK - January 20: Today in Scripture, Prayer
* CATALYST - Patience with God - The Story of Zacchaeus Continuing in Us

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Missionaries call on church's deep connections with Haiti

One week later, 'devastated diocese' continues 150-year history of  service

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service]  Close to a week after the worst earthquake
to rock the country in 250 years devastated Haiti, Episcopalians there
might be recalling a Creole Haitian proverb that says God tells
people: "You do your part; I'll do mine" ("Bondye do ou: fe pa ou, M a
fe pa M.").

The Rev. Lauren Stanley told ENS Jan. 19 that she has been using that
proverb to help tell the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti's story after the
Jan. 12 earthquake.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_118611_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Presiding bishop addresses needs in Haiti, Liberia in Jan. 31 bulletin  inserts

[Episcopal News Service] The devastation wreaked on Haiti by the Jan.
12 earthquake has riveted the attention of Episcopalians during the
past week. In ENS Weekly bulletin inserts for January 31, Presiding
Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori addresses the needs of Haiti's people
and its Episcopal diocese, and also touches on post-war rebuilding
efforts in Liberia, which she visited in early January. She calls on
Episcopalians to offer their prayers, expertise and resources to help
the people of both nations in their time of need.

Bulletin inserts may be downloaded at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm.

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

>RIO GRANDE: Diocese announces bishop nominees

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The Standing Committee of the Episcopal
Diocese of Rio Grande has announced five nominees for their next
bishop.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_118570_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

DENMARK: Lutheran church agrees Nordic accord with Anglicans

>By Peter Kenny

[Episcopal News Service] At an international service for the United
Nations climate summit in Copenhagen on Dec. 13 congregants noted a
strong Anglican presence with Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams
preaching the main sermon and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Archbishop
Emeritus Desmond Tutu leading a key prayer.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118551_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

SCOTLAND: Woman as candidate for bishop 'significant,' says campaigner

>By Trevor Grundy

[Episcopal News Service] The chairperson of a group campaigning for
women bishops says she is disappointed that the Rev. Alison Peden was
not elected Britain's first female Anglican bishop but that it is
"significant and encouraging" for a woman to have been one of the
three candidates that the Scottish Episcopal Church considered.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118550_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Robert Rowley, retired bishop of Northwestern Pennsylvania, to be laid  to rest

>By ENS Staff

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Diocese of Northwestern
Pennsylvania's seventh bishop, the Rt. Rev. Robert Rowley Jr., 68,
will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery after funeral services
on Jan. 22.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_118561_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_118572_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Shaken to the bone, called to respond

>By Katharine Jefferts Schori

[Episcopal News Service] The world has been turned upside down, as the
bones of the earth have shifted underneath Haiti. We are reminded of
life's fragility and unpredictability as we watch the news reports and
see the devastation of human lives.

Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere; 80 percent of
her people live on less than $2 a day. Even before this earthquake,
she struggled to provide for her poor.

Since its founding in 1804 as the first African-led nation in the
Western Hemisphere, and the first resulting from the rebellion of
former slaves, Haiti has experienced disaster after disaster, both
natural and political. Until now, hurricanes have been the most
frequent riders of the apocalyptic horse.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_118546_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On January 20, 2010, the church remembers Fabian, bishop and martyr of  Rome.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Patience with God - The Story of Zacchaeus Continuing in Us" from
Random House, by Tomás Halík, 219 pages, hardcover, c. 2009, $23.95

[Random House] For all the debate about belief and non-belief in
today's world -- and how everyone becomes pigeonholed by one or the
other -- Tomás Halík teaches that God requires us to persevere with
our doubts, carry them in our hearts, and allow them to lead us to
maturity. For Halík, patience is the main difference between faith and
atheism. Faith, hope, and love are three aspects of patience in the
face of God's silence, which is interpreted as "the death of God" by
atheists and is not taken seriously enough by fundamentalists.

Using the gospel story of Jesus's encounter with Zacchaeus, Halík
issues an invitation to all people who stand (like Zacchaeus did) on
the sideline -- curious but noncommittal. The fact that Jesus
gravitated to the poor and the marginalized means that he also has a
special place in his heart for diligent seekers on the margins of the
community of believers.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.