From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] In Haiti's 'new era' Episcopalians around the world offer help / Bulletin inserts for Feb. 7 c

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:14:55 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - In Haiti's 'new era' Episcopalians around the world offer  help
* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts for Feb. 7 contain 'A Litany for Haiti'
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - GEORGIA: Benhase becomes diocese's 10th bishop
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - KENTUCKY: Diocese announces four nominees for bishop
* WORLD REPORT - NIGERIA: Bishop Peter Imasuen of Benin abducted by  gunmen
* WORLD REPORT - ZIMBABWE: Anglicans to hold prayer meeting in protest
of persecution
* DAYBOOK - January 26: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Music and Vital Congregations - A Practical Guide for  Clergy

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

In Haiti's 'new era' Episcopalians around the world offer help

'I extend my arms to the thousands without shelter,' Duracin says

>By Pat McCaughan and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] In a letter titled "One is in the wilderness
but safe in faith," Episcopal Diocese of Haiti Bishop Jean Zaché
Duracin says the destructive Jan. 12 earthquake began a "new era" in
the history of that impoverished nation.

"This is also a new era in the history of humanitarian aid because the
catastrophe has dealt a terrible blow to more than 10 million living
beings -- inhabitants who have lost their homes and their way of
life," the bishop wrote in a letter posted in French (ENS received an
English translation Jan. 24). "The capital [Port-au-Prince] is
transformed into an immense refuge camp. They call desperately for
water, food, and medicine."

Elsewhere in the Episcopal Church, dioceses and congregations are
continuing to respond to the calls for help from the church's largest
diocese.

"Most of our churches are destroyed," Duracin said. "Many schools are
only piles of stones."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_118788_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bulletin inserts for Feb. 7 contain 'A Litany for Haiti'

The world's gaze is on Haiti as its people continue to work towards
recovery from the Jan. 12 earthquake that crippled much of the
nation's infrastructure and killed and injured tens of thousands of
its people. The Episcopal Church, through the Diocese of Haiti and
Episcopal Relief & Development, is committed to immediate relief and
long-term reconstruction, and asks the prayers and support of all
Episcopalians for its mission there. Episcopal News Service Weekly
bulletin inserts for Feb. 7 include a litany and prayers for Haiti
created for a Jan. 17 service at Washington National Cathedral.

The full text of the insert may be found below (the formatted version
also includes photos and captions).

Complete bulletin inserts may be downloaded here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

Full text: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_118787_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

KENTUCKY: Diocese announces four nominees for bishop

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Standing Committee of the Episcopal
Diocese of Kentucky announced Jan. 23 a slate of four men, including
three cathedral deans, as nominees for the diocese's next bishop.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_118764_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

GEORGIA: Benhase becomes diocese's 10th bishop

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Scott Benhase was ordained and
consecrated Jan. 23 as the 10th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of
Georgia.

Benhase succeeds Bishop Henry I. Louttit, Georgia's ninth bishop, who
has served the diocese since January 1995.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_118769_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ZIMBABWE: Anglicans to hold prayer meeting in protest of persecution

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Anglicans in Zimbabwe's Diocese of Harare are
scheduled to hold a prayer meeting on Sunday, Jan. 31, in protest of
the ongoing persecution by local police that has prevented them from
worshipping freely in their own church buildings, the independent
Zimbabwe news agency ZimOnline has reported.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118766_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

NIGERIA: Bishop Peter Imasuen of Benin abducted by gunmen

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Anglican bishop of the Diocese of Benin,
Church of Nigeria, was abducted at gunpoint from his home Jan. 24
after returning from a service of Holy Eucharist at St. Matthew's
Cathedral in the nation's southern state of Edo, according to news
reports.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118765_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On January 26, 2010, the church remembers Timothy and Titus,
companions of Saint Paul.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On January 26, 1985, George Lazenby Reynolds was
elected as the ninth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Music and Vital Congregations - A Practical Guide for Clergy" from
Church Publishing, Inc., by William Bradley Roberts, 133 pages,
softcover, c. 2009, $20

[Church Publishing, Inc.] Congregations that are alive and vibrant
have vital music programs. How did they get that way? There are
sensible and practical steps to develop such a program which begins
with a clear vision of the end product.

This new book addresses the many interrelated issues of defining and
embracing the leadership role in the church music program that is
required of clergy in parish ministry and essential for a healthy
congregation.

Clergy and musicians work toward the same goals; however, clergy are
trained differently from musicians. How does this fact impact their
relationship, and how can they learn to work together in an atmosphere
of mutual respect? The practical issues of employment can be addressed
more effectively in this atmosphere.

If one is looking for the right musician for the parish, what
qualities does one seek? How does one find such a rare and gifted
individual? A successful search complete, how does the clergyperson
work harmoniously with the music leader?

>This book provides a blueprint for:

* Developing a vision for music in your parish

* Locating a musician who is a partner in ministry

* How music comes and goes in the church's repertoire

* Moving from musician as performer to musician as pastor

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.