From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] 'There is hope' in Haiti, bishop's aide says / Episcopal News Monthly debuts to tell church's

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:44:38 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - 'There is hope' in Haiti, bishop's aide says
* TOP STORY - Episcopal News Monthly debuts to tell church's story in  print
* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury, Presiding Bishop address
global concerns in UN meeting
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEW YORK: Archbishop of Canterbury visits the South  Bronx
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SAN FRANCISCO: Grace Cathedral marks centennial of
cornerstone placement
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTHERN AFRICA: Archbishop Thabo Makgoba attends
World Economic Forum as discussion leader
* PEOPLE - Virginia seminary recognizes Harry G. Chase for lay
leadership, Joseph S. Pagano for preaching
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - January 31, 2010 - Fourth Sunday After the
Epiphany - Year C
* DAYBOOK - January 28: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Josephine Butler - A Guide to her Life, Faith, and Social  Action

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>'There is hope' in Haiti, bishop's aide says

Facing post-quake emergency, diocese plans for future

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Diocese of Haiti
(http://www.egliseepiscopaledhaiti.org/) faces at least three to six
months of emergency response to survivors of the Jan. 12 earthquake
that left a large portion of the diocese and the nation in ruins,
according to a priest at the heart of the diocese's response.

In the midst of the challenges of aiding nearly 23,000 Haitians who
are living in roughly 20 camps run by the diocese, Episcopalians are
assessing the damage to their diocese and beginning to decide their
rebuilding priorities, said the Rev. Canon Oge Beauvoir.

Beauvoir, a Haitian native and one of four Episcopal Church
missionaries assigned to work with the diocese in the impoverished
country, spoke to ENS Jan. 27 from a makeshift camp of earthquake
survivors that began the night of the quake on a rocky field next to
the College St. Pierre, a wrecked diocesan school. He, Bishop Jean
Zaché Duracin and other diocesan members are living at the camp that
he said contains 3,000 survivors.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_118854_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal News Monthly debuts to tell church's story in print

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The first issue of Episcopal News Monthly is
off the press and hitting mailboxes nationwide, offering the latest
compilation of news from Episcopal News Service.

"This new monthly publication is just one way to tell the church's
story. Those ways range from ink on paper to the church's
140-character-per-tweet Twitter page," said the Rev. Mary Frances
Schjonberg, ENM editor. "They are all aimed at showing the world how
Episcopalians live out the gospel."

The Episcopal Church Office of Communication continues its legacy of
award-winning coverage of news and in-depth issues of interest to
Episcopalians and people of faith worldwide. In addition to ENM, other
ways to tell the church's story include online daily news reported and
produced by ENS, weekly bulletin inserts, and, planned for the future,
a feature-focused quarterly magazine to be aimed at telling stories of
faith in action.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_118835_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury, Presiding Bishop address global concerns in UN  meeting

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Global crises, such as those in Haiti and
Sudan, were among pressing issues addressed at the United Nations
headquarters Jan. 26 as Secretary General Ban Ki-moon welcomed
Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams and Presiding

Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori for a 45-minute meeting.
The church leaders were joined by Anglican Observer at the U.N. Hellen
Wangusa and U.K. Representative to the U.N. Sir Mark Lyall Grant.

Williams offered his "profound condolences" for the loss of so many
U.N. staff in the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that devastated Haiti Jan.
12, according to a press release from Lambeth Palace, the archbishop's
London residence. He also conveyed his "deep appreciation and
admiration" for the work of the U.N. in some of the poorest parts of
the world.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_118826_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

NEW YORK: Archbishop of Canterbury visits the South Bronx

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] People lined up along the fence outside St.
Ann's Episcopal Church in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx
Jan. 27 waiting for their turn to get inside -- not to get a glimpse
of Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, who was incidentally
visiting, but to shop the parish's weekly Wednesday morning food
pantry.

Williams arrived and left with little fanfare. More food pantry
clients lined up along the fence outside, paying little notice.
Inside, the Rev. Martha Overall, priest-in-charge, along with members
of the vestry and volunteers, opened up the parish and its programs
for Williams to see. His visit was significant, Overall said, given
the archbishop's reason for being in New York.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_118850_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

SAN FRANCISCO: Grace Cathedral marks centennial of cornerstone placement

[Grace Cathedral] With descendents of the second bishop of California,
civic leaders and congregation members gathered for worship, Grace
Cathedral in San Francisco marked the centennial of the laying of its
cornerstone during its 11 a.m. Choral Eucharist on Jan. 24.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_118833_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

SOUTHERN AFRICA: Archbishop Thabo Makgoba attends World Economic Forum
as discussion leader

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop Thabo Makgoba of the Anglican
Church of Southern Africa is attending the World Economic Forum in
Switzerland Jan. 27-31 as an invited participant and will serve as a
discussion leader for several of the sessions.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118830_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Virginia seminary recognizes Harry G. Chase for lay leadership, Joseph
S. Pagano for preaching

[Episcopal News Service] Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria
has awarded the 2010 Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans (LPWE) Award to Harry
G. Chase from East Tennessee, while the Rev. Dr. Joseph S. Pagano,
rector of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Baltimore, Maryland, was named
the 2010 recipient of its John Hines Preaching Award.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_118831_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

January 31, 2010 - Fourth Sunday After the Epiphany - Year C

(RCL) Jeremiah 1:4-10; Psalm 71:1-6; 1 Corinthians 13:1-13; Luke 4:21-30

>By the Rev. Frank Logue

[Sermons That Work] In this morning's reading from Paul's First Letter
to the Corinthians, we get some of the most beautiful language found
anywhere on love. Paul writes:

"Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or
arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not
irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but
rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes
all things, endures all things. Love never fails."

The only problem with these beautiful words is that they don't ring
true. "Love never fails." Didn't St. Paul have the foresight to know
that this reading would become the single most popular scripture
reading for a wedding ceremony? Yet in America today, some reports
indicate that almost half of all marriages end in divorce. Paul writes
that love never fails. Why then does it seem as if love fails about
half the time?

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_118363_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On January 28, 2010, the church remembers Thomas Aquinas, priest and  friar.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On January 28, 1547, England's Henry VIII, who
presided over the founding of the Anglican Church, died at age 55.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Josephine Butler - A Guide to her Life, Faith, and Social Action"
from Darton, Longman and Todd, by Rod Garner, 107 pages, paperback, c.
2009, $13.95

[Darton, Longman and Todd] Forgotten saint? Proto-feminist? Josephine
Butler's story is one of incredible passion and tenacity and deserves
to be better known.

Born in 1828 in Northumberland, her father John Grey was a social
reformer and campaigned for the abolition of slavery. From him
Josephine inherited a deep concern for the marginalized of society,
rooted in a radical Christian faith.

Together with her husband, George Butler, with whom she shared a
remarkable and life-long marriage, she reached out to the poor and
destitute, often inviting them to live in the Butler's own home.
Appalled by the double standards of Victorian society, she campaigned
and worked tirelessly to bring about the repeal of the Contagious
Diseases Acts, which allowed women suspected of prostitution to be
arrested and forcibly subjected to painful and humiliating
examination. In an age when women were not expected to have opinions
she refused to be silent and campaigned for equal education for women.
She spoke out in public on subjects that shocked her contemporaries
and remained strong and determined against all kinds of injustice,
despite her own ill health and suffering.

In this lively and well drawn portrait, Rod Garner brings to life
Josephine's incredible achievements, but also delves in to her
personality and reveals the deep faith and prayer life that sustained
her in her work. Each chapter ends with a reflection and questions to
aid further study, making this an inspiring and original book for
group or individual study.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.