From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Archbishop of Canterbury wraps up Trinity Institute conference

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:46:44 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury wraps up Trinity Institute  conference
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Diocese of British Columbia to close 13
churches in restructuring plan
* WORLD REPORT - EUROPE: Archbishop of Canterbury to speak at Global
Economic Forum
* MISSION - Episcopal chaplains address healing from trauma, honor
Bishop George Packard
* DAYBOOK - February 1: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The End of Suffering - Finding Purpose in Pain

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Archbishop of Canterbury wraps up Trinity Institute conference

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] In summary of the discussions, panels and
lectures presented during the Trinity Institute's conference on
building an ethical economy, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams
identified four repeated themes in his closing remarks: language,
education, definition of self and trust.

"Building an ethical economy is something that will engage us on all
of these levels, and I trust and hope that in the light of these
discussions that engagement will indeed go forward," Williams said.
"We belong to churches and communities of faith, have resources that
we are bound to share ... We are able to hold up models, images, ideals,
not as distant abstractions, but as matters rooted in our very
identity and faith."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119009_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Diocese of British Columbia to close 13 churches in  restructuring plan

>By Leigh Anne Williams

[Anglican Journal] The Diocese of British Columbia in the Anglican
Church of Canada has announced a plan to close 13 churches in a
dramatic restructuring. While the plan is a response to declining
church attendance, Bishop James Cowan says it goes beyond
cost-cutting, asking how the church can best focus its resources to
carry out its mission as well as rebuild for the future.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118941_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

EUROPE: Archbishop of Canterbury to speak at Global Economic Forum

[Lambeth Palace] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams will lead the
closing session of the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2010 in
Davos, Switzerland, with a discussion on "Being Responsible for the
Future."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_118946_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>___________________

>MISSION

Episcopal chaplains address healing from trauma, honor Bishop George  Packard

>By Val Hymes

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal chaplains gathered  in Washington,
D.C. Jan. 19-23 for a Federal Ministries Conference to explore
"Healing from Trauma, a Journey into the Holy," hearing from
theologians, victims of tragedy, disaster experts, a chaplain on the
ground in Afghanistan and two chaplain families dealing with the pain
of war.

The also met to honor their boss, Bishop Suffragan of Federal
Ministries George E. Packard, as he prepares to retire in May.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_118996_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On February 1, 2010, the church remembers Brigid (Bride).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 1, 1956, Hamilton West became the
fifth Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Florida.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The End of Suffering - Finding Purpose in Pain" from Paraclete Press,
by Scott Cairns, 126 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $15.99

[Paraclete Press] Is there meaning in our afflictions?

With the thoughtfulness of a pilgrim and the prose of a poet, Scott
Cairns takes us on a soul-baring journey through "the puzzlement of
our afflictions." Probing ancient Christian wisdom for revelation in
his own pain, Cairns challenges us toward a radical revision of the
full meaning and breadth of human suffering.

Clear-eyed and unsparingly honest, this new addition to the literature
of suffering is reminiscent of The Year of Magical Thinking as well as
the works of C. S. Lewis. Cairns points us toward hope in the seasons
of our afflictions, because "in those trials in our lives that we do
not choose but press through -- a stillness, a calm, and a hope become
available to us."

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.