From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Haitian Episcopalians struggle in the present, look to the future / Obama condemns Ugandan leg

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 5 Feb 2010 06:15:00 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Haitian Episcopalians struggle in the present, look to the  future
* TOP STORY - Obama condemns Ugandan legislation during disputed
prayer breakfast
* TOP STORY - Haiti crisis has global impact; Anglicans display
concern through generosity, prayer
* WORLD REPORT - KENYA: Churches protest Islamic courts' clause in  constitution
* PEOPLE - Missouri priest discovers 'What Not to Wear'
* OPINION - Rescuing orphans or human trafficking?
* DAYBOOK - February 5: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - EBaR Pick: The Entrance Place of Wonders: Poems from the
Harlem Renaissance

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Haitian Episcopalians struggle in the present, look to the future
'The church is the people,' bishop says

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] There may not be a single Episcopal church
standing in Port-au-Prince today but that lack of walls and roofs does
not mean that the church in the Haitian capital is dead.

"As the largest diocese of the Episcopal Church until now, we are
physically destroyed but the church is there because the church is the
people," Episcopal Diocese of Haiti Bishop Jean Zaché Duracin told
Episcopal News Service Feb. 4. "Even though we have lost our
buildings, the people continue gather. The communities are there."

Duracin spoke to ENS in both English and French as he described life
in Haiti and the work of the diocese in caring for survivors of the
magnitude 7.0 earthquake that hit just outside of Port-au-Prince in
the later afternoon of Jan. 12.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119150_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Obama condemns Ugandan legislation during disputed prayer breakfast

New Hampshire bishop participates in call for alternative gatherings

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] On a day when religious and political leaders
in the U.S. held competing prayer breakfasts, U.S. President Barack
Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemned as "odious"
proposed changes to Uganda's anti-homosexuality laws.

The Ugandan Parliament is considering a bill proposed by one of its
members, David Bahati, that would introduce the death penalty for
people who violate portions of that country's existing
anti-homosexuality laws.

"We may disagree about gay marriage, but surely we can agree that it
is unconscionable to target gays and lesbians for who they are --
whether it's here in the United States or, as Hillary mentioned, more
extremely in odious laws that are being proposed most recently in
Uganda," Obama told the National Prayer Breakfast held Feb. 4 at the
Washington D.C. Hilton Hotel.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119140_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Haiti crisis has global impact; Anglicans display concern through
generosity, prayer

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Moved by the scenes of devastation and
confusion following Haiti's Jan. 12 earthquake, Anglicans from all
corners of the globe have been responding to the disaster through the
generosity of financial contributions and the solidarity of prayer.

Anglican provinces in Brazil, the Philippines, Hong Kong and Korea
have already sent donations to Episcopal Relief & Development that the
agency will utilize for immediate relief and long-term development as
the people of Haiti struggle for survival and work to rebuild their
lives.

The dioceses of Puerto Rico and Colombo in Sri Lanka -- despite
dealing with their own pressing issues of poverty and instability --
have also made life-saving contributions.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119131_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

KENYA: Churches protest Islamic courts' clause in constitution

>By Fredrick Nzwili

[Ecumenical News International, Nairobi] Church leaders in Kenya are
rallying their followers against a draft constitution they say favors
Muslims and will tear the country apart.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119112_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>Missouri priest discovers 'What Not to Wear'

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Frumpy dressing isn't one of the seven deadly
sins, but it landed the Rev. Emily Bloemker in a Friday, Feb. 5
upcoming episode of the reality television show "What Not to Wear."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_119152_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Rescuing orphans or human trafficking?

Baptist missionaries' actions create education opportunity

>By Ana White

[Episcopal News Service] Ten Baptist missionaries remained in custody
in Haiti Feb. 4 charged with abduction and criminal association after
they were arrested last week when they attempted to cross the border
into the Dominican Republic with 33 undocumented "orphans."

The American missionaries, mostly from Idaho, claimed they didn't know
they needed paperwork and passports to transport the children across
an international border, and that they were acting out their faith.
Their ignorance is unfortunate, but presents an opportunity to educate
people about human trafficking.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_119138_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On February 5, 2010, the church remembers the Martyrs of Japan.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 5, 1736, John and Charles Wesley,
Anglicans who helped pioneered the Methodist movement, arrived in
America at Savannah, Georgia.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

EBaR Pick: "The Entrance Place of Wonders: Poems from the Harlem
Renaissance" from Harry N. Abrams, Inc., compiled by Daphne Muse,
illustrated by Charlotte Riley Webb, 32 pages, hardcover, c. 2005,
$15.95

[Harry N. Abrams, Inc.] Featuring twenty transcendent poems by the
leaders of this cultural movement (1917-1935) -- such as Langston
Hughes, Countee Cullen, Claude McKay, and James Weldon Johnson -- as
well as newly discovered writers, these pages will uplift and inspire
the youngest lovers of poetry. Brightly colored and fluid, Charlotte
Riley-Webb's energetic illustrations celebrate these important,
life-affirming poems. Also included are biographies of the featured
poets, as well as an informative introduction to the Harlem
Renaissance by Daphne Muse. Through The Entrance Place of Wonders, the
vibrant spirit of one of the most exciting and significant times in
American history lives on.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.