From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin February 5, 201

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:09:21 -0500

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0237
Web: http://www.goarch.org  - Email: communications@goarch.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese E-bulletin February 5, 2010

This is the weekly edition of the GOA E-Bulletin. For more information
just click on the links below to go to the topics of interest to you.

If the link does not work from your email, copy the link and paste it
into the address bar of your web browser.

PILGRIMAGE WEEKEND FOR SAINT PHOTIOS SHRINE:  The annual pilgrimage
weekend of the Saint Photios National Shrine will be February 5-7 in
Saint Augustine, Florida.  The weekend includes services, the annual
meeting, luncheon, a book signing by Gine and William Samonides,
authors of The Greeks of Stark County, and a lecture by Rev. Dr.
Alkiviades Calivas, professor emeritus of Holy Cross School of
Theology and noted author titled â??St. Photios, Yesterday and
Today.â??   For more information visit the Shrine web site or download
the recent newsletter.

www.stphotios.com/

www.stphotios.com/newsletter/shrinenewsletter.pdf

FEBRUARY 7 ? SCCOUT SUNDAY:  The Hierarchs of SCOBA have designated
Sunday, February 7 as Scout Sunday to be observed in parishes
throughout all Orthodox jurisdictions.  2010 marks the 100th
anniversary of Scouting, and the Eastern Orthodox Committee on
Scouting [EOCS] has prepared materials for our parishes to assist in
their celebration. Parishes are asked to support and recognize their
youth engaged in neighborhood units. To read the encyclical and review
resources visit the following sites:

SCOBA Encyclical for Scout Sunday: www.scoba.us/articles/2803.html

Orthodox Scouting website: eocs.org/

HAITI CRISIS ? AN APPEAL TO ACTION: The earthquaake that struck Haiti
has left tens of thousands homeless and without basic provisions and
medical care.  His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios has issued a call to
the faithful of the Archdiocese to give generously to assist with the
relief efforts.  Read the encyclical requesting a special offering
this Sunday.  Also, link to IOCC (International Orthodox Christian
Charities) to learn more about how you can help through donations and
preparing hygiene kits and emergency cleanup buckets.

Special encyclical: www.goarch.org/news/haitiencyclical%20-01-13-2010

IOCC: www.iocc.org/news/1-14-10haiti-release.aspx

TRIODION BEGINS: The Triodion period continues this week with the
Sunday of the Last Judgment (Meatfare).  Visit this special site for
the background to this Sunday, hymns, readings, the icon, and more.
Also link to other resources as you begin preparations for Great Lent.

lent.goarch.org

EVENTS AND NEWS FROM THE DEPT. OF YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULTS

Into the Desert: The Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries
announces its 40 day Lenten blog entitled, "Into the Desert."
Beginning on Clean Monday, February 15, 2010, daily posts will
encourage our young people to fully participate in Great Lent--this
challenge can be done individually or with an entire ministry group.
The blog will offer daily scriptural readings, saints of the day,
quotes from the fathers, and daily challenges to better prepare for
Pascha. Visit www.youth.goarch.org for more information!

National Young Adult Pilgrimage to the Holy Land: Join young adults
from across the country on this unforgettable journey to the Holy Land
and Sinai, May 15-24, 2010. His Grace Bishop Savas will once again be
leading this trip, which will be limited to 30 young adults.
Destinations will include holy sites in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Mount
Tabor, Sea of Galilee, Jordan River, Nazareth, Mount Sinai, Cana, and
many more! Online registration is now open at www.youngadult.goarch.org.

Young Adult Awareness Campaign--Find Them, Greet Them, Love Them: In
an effort to encourage our young adults to become active members of
the Church, the Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries, along
with our Metropolis Youth Offices, have launched a National Awareness
Campaign for young adults: Find Them. Greet Them. Love Them. To
encourage participation from young adults on the local level, the "10
in 10: 10 Service Projects in 2010" was launched. This includes ten
"days of service" thoughtout 2010, one in every Metropolis/Direct
Archdiocesan District and one national event. For more information
please visit www.youngadult.goarch.org.

Outreach Resources for Parish Ministry for Great Lent, Holy Week,
Pascha & the Annunciation are available on the www.Outreach.Goarch.org
website or click on the following link:

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent

Booklet: Outreach & Evangelism: Some Practical Steps -available by request

Brochures

·      Our Lenten Journey: Preparing for the Passion & Resurrection
of Our Lord
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Ou
r_Lenten_Journey.pdf
·      Preparing for Confession by Fr. James Kordaris
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Co
nfession.pdf
·      The Great Fast by Metropolitan Isaiah
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Th
e_Great_Fast.pdf
·      Repentance by Fr. Alexander Veronis
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Re
pentance.pdf
·      Holy Communion: The Gift of Eternal Life by Fr. Alkiviadis  Calivas
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Co
mmunion-Calivas.pdf
·      All Things New in the Resurrection by Fr. Stanley S. Harakas
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Re
surrection.pdf
·      Tri-Lingual Paschal Homily of St John Chrysostom
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Pa
schal_Homily.pdf
·      Resurrection Service Handout Brochure
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/resurrectionhandou t
·      A Lenten Study Program
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/brochures/Le
nten_study.pdf

SERMONS/REFLECTIONS

·      The Incarnation: A Revolution for Freedom by Dr. Aristotle  Papanikolaou
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Incarnation_A_Revolution_for_Freedom_Papanikoloau.doc
·      My Soul Magnifies the Lord by Fr. Thomas Paris
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-My_Soul_Magnifies_the_Lord_Paris.doc
·      God for Us: Why the Incarnation is Rational by Dr. Aristotle
Papanikolaou
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Annunciation_2_Papanikolaou.doc
·      Blessed is that Servant Whom He Shall find Waiting: An
Exhortation to Vigilance by Fr. William Chiganos
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Exhortation_to_Vigilance_Chiganos.doc
·      Focus Fasting by Fr. Athanasios Demos
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Focus_Fasting_A_Demos.doc
·      The Precious and Life-Giving Cross by Fr. Luke Veronis
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Sermon_The_Cross_Luke_Veronis.doc
·      Holy Friday Reflection-The Train Bridge
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Holy_Friday_Reflection_The_Train_Bridge.doc
·      Proclaim His Resurrection: Seven Miles with Jesus by Fr
Christopher Makiej
www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/greatlent/reflections/
gl-Proclaim_His_Resurrection_Makiej.doc
·      Pascha vs. Easter by Phyllis Meshel Onest, MDiv

www.theologic.com/oflweb/lentpask/estrmyth.htm

Visitor Welcome Card & Display Rack for welcoming visitors and
collecting contact information and areas of interest online at

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/visitorcard

Lenten Welcome Banner: A 3 x 6  or 4 x 8 foot outdoor banner ($150
each) online at

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/resources/lentenwelcome
Custom Banners will be made upon request.

SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE: Applications are now available
online for the three scholarship programs administered by the Office
of the Chancellor.  Visit this site to download information and
applications on the Gioles and Malta Scholarships, and the Paleologos
Graduate Scholarship.  The deadline for all applications is April 20, 2010.

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/administration/chancellor/scholarships

2010 GOA YEARBOOK AVAILABLE ONLINE: The 2010 Yearbook of the Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese of America is now available onlline. The 2010
Yearbook is designed as an easy-to-read, accurate, reference handbook
of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.  The 274-page new
edition includes updated directories of the Ecumenical Patriarchate,
Archdiocesan departments and institutions, parishes, clergy, religious
and secular media resources, a photo section highlighting the visit of
His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to America plus
additional information.  Each parish will receive two complimentary
copies, but you can download the online version at

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/yearbook/

CALL TO ACTION ON FREEDOM OF PATRIARCHATE:  A call to action has been
issued by a member of the Faith Endowment related to the rights and
freedoms of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  Read the letter and sign the
petition to show your support for the recognition, safety, and
protection of His All Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, the
Patriarchate, the Seminary of Halki, and the ethnic minority of Greek
Christians living in Turkey.

faithendowment.org/news/a-call-for-action

JOIN AN ORTHODOX MISSION TEAM: The Orthodox Christian Mission Center
(OCMC) in St. Augustine, Florida, is offering you the opportunity to
join one of the Orthodox Mission Teams in 2010.  Acknowledge your
commitment in implementing Christ's Great Commission by serving on a
short-term mission team.

There is a need to present a visible expression of the love, unity,
and support that truly exists within the Holy Orthodox Church around
the world; to share the teachings of the Faith and to provide needy
communities around the globe with labor; and to increase awareness of
overseas churches and the unending mission efforts of the Church.
Your continued support of Orthodox missions is greatly needed, and you
can help by serving on a Mission Team.

For a full list of team efforts, dates, costs, and registration
information visit

teams.ocmc.org

THIS WEEK FROM THE ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN NETWORK

COME RECEIVE THE LIGHT - THE NATIONALLY SYNDICATED RADIO PROGRAM OF
ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY
On this very special episode of Come Receive the Light, guest host
Kevin Allen speaks with Troy and Theodora Polamalu about their work
with FOCUS North America. Tune in to hear them talk about their work
to fight poverty in North America and to find out how you can help.
Also with us are Matushka Marina Holland and Diaconissa Jennifer Park
from St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in McKinney, TX. They're here
to give families some tips on fasting and to tell us about their
wonderful online recipe archive.
***************************
Coming soon: OCMC and OCN team up to offer New Travel Blog
Join Fr. Martin Ritsi, Alex Goodwin and Cameron Thorp as they travel
to Kenya on a mission trip.  They will be reporting back to us during
their journey so be sure to visit our web site under Travel Blogs.  It
will be just like going along with them on this sacred journey.
Starting February 17, 2010 visit us at www.myocn.net.
***************************
New Offerings
This Great Lent watch and listen everyday as the OCN begins a new
series of offerings.

â?¢ Launch of the Anchor Internet Radio Station: Our new talk stations
will have a multitude of our programming around this sacred time of
the year encouraging and inspiring the faithful on their spiritual
journey. We welcome Konstantin (Kosta) Rysyanin the new Program
Director and Scott Allen Miller the host of the station both members
of the Antiochian Archdiocese to our OCN Staff.

? Launch of Readings and Remembrances: which is a daily audio program
hosted by various professionals from our voice talent pool. You can
subscribe to this professionally produced program of the daily
epistles, gospels along with daily lives of the saints. This will
certainly be a great addition to your daily walk during this sacred time.

? Launch of OCN International: This new offering will feature
prrogramming from around the world in various languages that will
enlighten the faithful. The first two come to us from Greece. They
consist of daily divine services and radio programs produced by the
Monastery of the Holy Taxiarchae outside of Volos, Greece and a long
standing radio program from the monastery of the Transfiguration in
Nafpaktos, Greece.

? Launnch of a special Great Lent Resource page: this is a one stop
place for the faithful to go to hear and view programming that will
enlighten and enhance your spiritual journey on a daily basis. Now
with the new technology at our disposal this is easier than ever.
**********************
Superbowl and the Sunday Victory
People around the world are preparing for the biggest sporting event
of the year. Does the Church have anything to say about all this hype
and attention? She certainly does as Fr. Chris Makiej delivers a
special Superbowl message available on our web site at www.myocn.net.
**********************
THIS WEEKâ??S PODCASTS
This week on Theologically Thinking, Fr. Bill Chiganos will discuss
the presentation of our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ, to the
Temple. In this week's episode of Special Moments in Orthodoxy, Dr.
George Democopoulos and Dr. Aristotle Papanikolaou continue their
discussion about the life of  "Blessed Augustine" and his legacy in
Orthodoxy. This week on Harmony of Thunder, St. Gregory Palams
preached a sermon on the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, and interpreted
the parable according to a very complex method.  Listen to Harmony of
Thunder to hear Fr. David explore a great sermon by a great saint of
the faith. This week on OCN Now, listen as the staff of OCN talks
about the upcoming and exciting new offerings during Great Lent.
*******************
Share the Light Sunday was held on January 17th - Walk in the Light.
If your parish celebrated this National Day of Recognition please
contact our office to let us know how it went. In case you missed it,
you can still celebrate. Share the Light Sunday can be celebrated on
any Sunday. Help build an effective media outreach for Orthodoxy by
supporting the Orthodox Christian Network! Visit our web site at
www.myocn.net for further details.
*******************
RADIO SOLUTIONS for Orthodox Christian Parishes Worldwide
The Orthodox Christian Network (The OCN) is pleased to announce a new
service to Orthodox parishes and ministries world wide?Customized
Online Radio Stations. Since recently acquiringg new online radio
server software, we can now offer completely customized 24/7 online
radio stations in a cost effective and efficient way allowing parishes
to stay connected to their parishioners more so than ever before. OCN
looks forward to being your supplier of customized Orthodox Christian
programming. For more information about Orthodox Internet radio
solutions visit our web site at www.myocn.net or call us today at
954-522-5567 to speak to one of our support staff.
*******************
ADVERTISING/SPONSORSHIP Opportunities
Sponsor a program or feature your company on the high trafficked
MyOCN.net website. OCN is now making available the opportunity for
people and corporations to advertise on our site to support the
ministry. Ad space is available so call our headquarters to discuss
it. Call today 954-467-1515
**********************
INTERNET RADIO STATIONS
If you are looking for a cure for the winter blues or just want to
hear some uplifting music, log on to myocn.net  to listen to the Ark
and the Rudder. Whether you enjoy contemporary or traditional Orthodox
music make myocn.net your place for music. By all means visit and
utilize our newly designed ARK Page and join us on Facebook to follow
programming and events covered on the ARK and the RUDDER. While you
are at it tell your friends to visit as well.

**********************

OCN and your iPhone - With the release of the Ark and the Rudder in
one convenient and free download, listeners will have even more
options from which to listen to OCN's Orthodox liturgical music,
groundbreaking podcasts and contemporary Orthodox music. To download
your copy, go to the iTunes application store and type ocn. The
download is free and is effortless to install. Visit our web site for
details at
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=3263
07494&mt=8.

All programs available on Internet Radio, Podcast and On Demand at
www.myocn.net.

FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION:

New On-line Group for Religious Educators - The Department of
Religious Education has created Orthodox Christian Religious Educators
a group on Facebook so that teachers and other interested youth
workers can share ideas, discuss programs. The Facebook group is the
latest attempt of the Department to bring Orthodox Christian Religious
Educators together. The group is open to anyone who works with young
people in Orthodox Christian parishes, whether as a clergyman, a
Sunday Church school teacher, supervisor, a youth group advisor,
interested parent, or others.  For those already using Facebook,
search for the group and join.  For those not using Facebook, you will
have to join the social networking site (it's free).  Already the
group has hundreds of members with topics being discussed ranging from
Vacation Church School to teaching Environmental Stewardship.

2010 St. John Chrysostom Oratorical Festival Topics Available.  The
2010 Festival Topics, Topic Tips, and Bibliography are now available
on the Department's webpages

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/religioused/sjcof

As more information from the Metropolises arrives, with the dates and
locations of District and Metropolis Festivals, it will be posted.
The 2010 Archdiocese Festival will be hosted by the Direct Archdiocese
District and held at the Holy Trinity Cathedral in New York City, from
June 4-6.

ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCES REAL BREAK REGISTRATION IS
OPEN:  Join hundreds of other college students this Spring Break with
Real Break, the service learning program of OCF. This year's trips are
scheduled for Constantinople, Jerusalem, Greece, Romania, and more.
Register online now at www.ocf.net/realbreak. Hurry while there are
still openings!!!

2010 STEWARDSHIP RESOURCES AVAILABLE:  Stewardship resources for the
2010 Stewardship Year have been sent to Greek Orthodox clergy serving
parishes throughout the Archdiocese of America. In our efforts to
provide your parish with practical ministry resources under a unified
theme, the National Ministries of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of
America are creating resources for the coming Ecclesiastical Year
under the general theme of the 2008 Clergy-Laity Congress: Gather My
People to My Home with the sub-theme of â??Come and See?â??  Additional
Stewardship resources for the parish will be forthcoming. Contact the
Department of Stewardship, Outreach & Evangelism: telephone
646-519-6160 / email stewardship@goarch.org. Resources are also
available online at

www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/stewardship/

DAILY BIBLE READINGS FOR FACEBOOK AND iGoogle: The Department of
Internet Ministries has launched an enhancement to its Online Chapel
service that will now provide Facebook and iGoogle users access to the
daily Bible readings and lives of the saints directly from their
customized home pages. Visit the Online Chapel at
www.goarch.org/chapel for more information on how to add the new
Online Chapel for Facebook and Online Chapel for iGoogle to your home pages

ORTHODOX MARKETPLACE - www.orthodoxmarketplace.com

--------------------

The Orthodox Marketplace is the Official Online Store of the Greek
Orthodox Archdiocese.

SUPPORT THE ARCHDIOCESE WHILE SEARCHING or SHOPPING ON THE WEB:  The
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese has partnered with GoodSearch.com, a new
search engine that donates half its revenue, about a penny per search,
to the charities its users designate. You use it just as you would any
search engine, and it's powered by Yahoo!, so you get great results.
To use GoodSearch.com and support the ministries of the Archdiocese,
simply go to:

www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=833607

For online shopping visit

www.goodsearch.com/goodshop.aspx

GAMES ONLINE TO EXPLORE AND LEARN THE ORTHODOX FAITH: The Department
of Internet Ministries is pleased to announce an exciting new web site
at games.goarch.org  where kids and adults of all ages can explore,
create, play, learn, discover, and grow in the Orthodox Faith. The
site features online games and puzzles in a colorful, engaging
environment, all with an Orthodox theme. The games are suitable for
kids from ages 5 on up and currently features a coloring book, jigsaw
puzzles, a memory game, a word finder, crossword puzzles, and more.

The online games are currently in beta and we encourage feedback so
that we can further enhance this new online offering.  Click here to
visit: games.goarch.org

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Department of Communications