From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] COLORADO: Grace & St. Stephen's receives grant to preserve historic office building / LOS ANGE

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 9 Feb 2010 19:04:16 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - COLORADO: Grace & St. Stephen's receives grant to
preserve historic office building
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: The deacon and the art of debate
* WORLD REPORT - CUBA: Griselda Delgado Del Carpio consecrated as
bishop coadjutor
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury urges church to see
issues 'three-dimensionally'
* WORLD REPORT - UGANDA: Church condemns homosexuality, calls for
amendments to proposed bill
* PEOPLE - Bishop Suffragan for Federal Ministries nominees announced
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Presiding bishop visits Haiti
* DAYBOOK - February 10: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - Pilgrim Road: A Benedictine Journey through Lent

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

COLORADO: Grace & St. Stephen's receives grant to preserve historic
office building

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The Colorado State Historical Fund of the
state historical society has awarded a $170,700 grant to Grace and St.
Stephen's Church for preservation of McWilliams House, which houses
the church offices.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119324_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>LOS ANGELES: The deacon and the art of debate

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Students chanted "woo, woo, woo" and
applauded as their religion teacher and debate team coach, the Rev.
Lee Harris, was ordained a deacon during a Feb. 4 school Eucharist at
St. Mark's Episcopal Church and School in Upland, California.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119297_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

UGANDA: Church condemns homosexuality, calls for amendments to proposed  bill

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] The Church of Uganda called Feb. 9 for a new
bill that that would amend the country's penal code to make its
current anti-homosexuality laws more comprehensive.

In a position paper the church said it had "concerns" with a proposed
bill that would introduce the death penalty for people who violate
portions of that country's anti-homosexuality laws. The bill has
received condemnation from international religious and political
leaders.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119323_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

CUBA: Griselda Delgado Del Carpio consecrated as bishop coadjutor

>By Matthew Davies and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] More than 400 people packed into Holy Trinity
Cathedral in Havana Feb. 7 to witness the ordination and consecration
of the Rev. Griselda Delgado Del Carpio as bishop coadjutor of the
Episcopal Church of Cuba.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119301_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury urges church to see issues
'three-dimensionally'

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Complex issues in church and society should
be approached with a "three-dimensional vision," Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams urged members of the Church of England's
General Synod during his Feb. 9 presidential address.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119320_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Bishop Suffragan for Federal Ministries nominees announced

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] A nominating committee of the Episcopal
Church Feb. 8 announced the names of six candidates to become the
sixth bishop suffragan for federal ministries.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_119253_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_119304_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On February 10, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 10, 1604, King James I of England
authorized an English Bible translation, which was completed in 1611.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Pilgrim Road: A Benedictine Journey through Lent" from Church
Publishing, Inc., by Albert Holtz, O.S.B., 178 pages, paperback, c.
2006, $11

[Church Publishing, Inc.] In the view of St. Benedict of Nursia, the
Lenten journey is an inner pilgrimage with Christ into the deepest
parts of ourselves, to be marked not so much by external observances
such as fasting and self-denial as by a deepening of our relationship
with God.

Benedictine monk Albert Holtz develops that journey theme through
meditations written during a 15-country pilgrimage during a sabbatical
year. At the heart of each reflection is the lesson it teaches about
our inner spiritual journey.

By applying Benedict's monastic wisdom to the everyday concerns and
aspirations of modern Christians, Pilgrim Road helps contemporary
spiritual seekers keep Lent as a positive, meaningful, and fruitful
experience.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.