From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Haiti marks one-month anniversary of quake

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 04:46:43 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Haiti marks one-month anniversary of quake
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - HAITI: Scammers continue to solicit donations  fraudulently
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - MASSACHUSETTS: Rwandan priest brings message of
peace, reconciliation
* WORLD REPORT - POLYNESIA: Jabez Bryce, communion's longest-serving
bishop, dies at 75
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTHERN AFRICA: Bishops condemn political greed,
president's sexual misconduct as 'moral decay'
* MISSION - 'Animators' appointed to promote evangelism and church
growth throughout the Anglican Communion
* PEOPLE - World Interfaith Award goes to Gwynne Guibord of Los Angeles
* DAYBOOK - February 15: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "What We Do in Lent: A Child's Activity Book"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Haiti marks one-month anniversary of quake

>Music, art offer hope to survivors

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Amidst the ruins of their diocese and their
nation, Haitian Episcopalians have found on-going hope in their music
and art.

"Some things are too difficult to express in words," said Jeanne
Pocius, a trumpet professor at the Diocese of Haiti's now-destroyed
Holy Trinity Music School in Port-au-Prince, paraphrasing Victor Hugo.
"You see people being absolutely stoic and when the music begins, the
tears begin to flow. It's healing, it's a great medication. It's a
gift of the Holy Spirit."

A few hours earlier, she had joined members of the Holy Trinity
Philharmonic Orchestra, Haiti's unofficial state symphony, and the
school's renowned Les Petits Chanteurs men and boys choir to
participate in one of the capitol's many memorial services held to
commemorate the one-month anniversary of the magnitude-7 earthquake
that hit just outside of Port-au-Prince on Jan. 12.

Full story here: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119434_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

HAITI: Scammers continue to solicit donations fraudulently

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] For the second time in the month since a
magnitude-7 earthquake decimated parts of Haiti on Jan. 12, evidence
has surfaced of fraudulent emails soliciting money in the name of
Episcopal Diocese of Haiti Bishop Jean Zaché Duracin.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119415_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

MASSACHUSETTS: Rwandan priest brings message of peace, reconciliation

[Episcopal Divinity School] In a world where people are feeling hurt,
wounded and have nowhere to turn, the church must provide hope,
healing and reconciliation, the Rev. Philbert Kalisa, an Anglican
priest and founder and director of REACH-Rwanda, said during a Feb. 11
presentation at Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119424_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

POLYNESIA: Jabez Bryce, communion's longest-serving bishop, dies at 75

>By Lloyd Ashton

[Anglican Taonga] Archbishop Jabez Bryce, bishop of the Diocese of
Polynesia, has died peacefully Feb. 11 at Suva Private Hospital in
Fiji. He was 75.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119416_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

SOUTHERN AFRICA: Bishops condemn political greed, president's sexual
misconduct as 'moral decay'

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] South African President Jacob Zuma has come
under fire from the bishops of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa
for what they call his "sexual misconduct" following his admission
that he fathered a child out of wedlock.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119423_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

'Animators' appointed to promote evangelism and church growth
throughout the Anglican Communion

[ACNS] Following a resolution passed at the 14th meeting of the
Anglican Consultative Council, a Core Group of Animators has been
appointed to promote the "Evangelism and Church Growth Initiative"
under the auspices of the mission department of the Anglican
Communion. Its first meeting was held Jan. 11-15 at St. Columba's in
Woking, England.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_119421_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

World Interfaith Award goes to Gwynne Guibord of Los Angeles

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The National Association of Interchurch and
Interfaith Families (NAIIF) has given its annual "World Interfaith
Leader Award" to the Rev. Dr. Gwynne Guibord from the Episcopal
Diocese of Los Angeles, according to a news release from the
organization.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_119428_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On February 15, 2010, the church remembers Thomas Bray, priest and  missionary.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 15, 1631, John Donne, poet and dean of
St. Paul's Cathedral, London, preached his last sermon titled "Death's
Duel."

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"What We Do in Lent: A Child's Activity Book" from Church Publishing,
Inc., written by Anne E. Kitch, illustrations by Dorothy Thompson
Perez, 48 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $8

[Church Publishing, Inc.] Filled with interactive puzzles,
color-by-number pages, word finds, mazes, and more, this fun-filled
activity book can help children ages 4 to 7 grow to a deeper
understanding of the true meaning of the holy season of Lent. Draw the
loaves and fishes Jesus used to feed the multitude, help Jesus find
his way through the desert, and follow Jesus on the way of the cross
-- this book is a treasure trove for children and their families.

With more than 40 activities, a glossary, and a guide filled with tips
and suggestions, What We Do in Lent is a great resource for parenting
in the pews.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.