From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury recognized for interfaith work

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:45:05 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury recognized for  interfaith work
* WORLD REPORT - UGANDA: Rwenzori bishop killed in motor accident
* WORLD REPORT - Christians begin Lent pondering how they can act for  others
* MISSION - GreenFaith Fellowship Program seeks applications
* OPINION - 'I look at this as a baptism': A Lenten reflection from the  bishop of Haiti
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - February 21, 2010 - First Sunday in Lent - Year  C
* DAYBOOK - February 18: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - Martin Luther

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury recognized for interfaith work

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams on Feb.  16 received the Woolf Institute of Abrahamic Faiths "Building Bridges  Award" in recognition of his "commitment to addressing contemporary  cultural and interfaith issues," a Lambeth Palace news release said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119502_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

UGANDA: Rwenzori bishop killed in motor accident

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Anglican Church of Uganda is mourning the  loss of Bishop Patrick Kyaligonza of Rwenzori, who died in a motor  accident last week less than one year after his consecration, according  to reports.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119501_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Christians begin Lent pondering how they can act for others

>By Peter Kenny

[Ecumenical News International] Christians observing the Lenten time of  sacrifice are being urged to engage in acts that enable a better sharing  of world resources.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119516_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

GreenFaith Fellowship Program seeks applications

[GreenFaith] The GreenFaith Fellowship Program is seeking applications  for its fourth class of fellows. Lay and ordained leaders from diverse  religious traditions, and seminary students who have completed a year or  equivalent of full-time study, are invited to apply. The application  deadline is May 3.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_119511_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>'I look at this as a baptism'

>A Lenten reflection from the bishop of Haiti

>By Jean Zaché Duracin

[Episcopal News Service] Diocese of Haiti Bishop Jean Zaché Duracin  offers a Lenten reflection, commenting on the situation in Haiti and the  need for faith, prayer and renewal in the midst of devastation caused by  a magnitude-7 earthquake on Jan. 12.

The text in both English and French is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_119500_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan  conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

February 21, 2010 - First Sunday in Lent - Year C

(RCL) Deuteronomy 26:1-11; Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16; Romans 10:8b-13; Luke  4:1-13

>By Jason Sierra

[Sermons That Work] "The word is near you, on your lips and in your  heart"

This past Wednesday we struck out into the desert spaces alongside  Jesus, receiving a cross of ashes on our forehead or on our heart to  begin the Lenten season.

Ash Wednesday calls upon our humanity. It reminds us that we are but  dust and to dust we shall return. It reminds us of our own fragility.  Today's scriptures call to mind that same tenuous grasp we hold on life.  They lay out the many ways we are called to respond to and from our  humanity this Lenten season.

Full reflection:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_119222_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On February 18, 2010, the church remembers Martin Luther.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:  http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 18, 1781, Henry Martyn, missionary and  Bible translator in India, was born in Truro, Cornwall, England.

>EBAR PICK

"Martin Luther" from Penguin Group, by Martin Marty, 199 pages,  hardcover, c. 2004, $19.99

[Penguin Group] Martin Marty -- professor, author, pastor, historian,  and journalist -- is, in Bill Moyers's words, "the most influential  interpreter of American religion." In Martin Luther, this man of  unswerving faith, rooted in his own Lutheran tradition yet deeply  committed to helping enrich a pluralist society, brings to powerful life  the devout Reformation figure whose despair for a perilous world, felt  anew in our own times, drove him to a ceaseless search for assurance of  God's love. It was one that led him steadily to a fresh interpretation  of human interaction with God -- as born solely from God's grace and not  the Church's mediation -- and to the famous theses he posted at  Wittenberg in 1517.

Luther's persistence in this belief, and in his long battle with Church  leaders -- embellished by rich historical background -- make Marty's  biography riveting reading. Luther's obdurate yet receptive stance, so  different from the travestied image of "fundamentalism" we currently  face, restored the balance between religion and the individual. Martin  Luther is at once a fascinating history, a story of immense spiritual  passion and amazing grace, and a superb intellectual biography.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at  http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your  local Episcopal bookstore.