From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CWS helps Haitians apply for Temporary Protected Status

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:39:55 -0800

CWS helps Haitians apply for Temporary Protected Status; says
earthquake's impact demonstrates need for U.S. immigration reform

New York, Feb. 17, 2010 - Feelings of hope and relief were palpable
among Haitians applying for Temporary Protected Status at 'TPS Days'
in New York, N.Y.; Lancaster, Pa., and Miami, Fla., today, three of five
special immigration legal clinics being held this week at local offices
and affiliates of the global humanitarian agency Church World Service.

All these events plus a Citizenship Day Feb. 17 in Atlanta, Ga., and a
TPS Day Feb. 19 in New Haven, Conn., are part of a nationwide CWS
campaign in support of fair, humane U.S. immigration reform.

"TPS provides short-term help to some, but Haitians and other
immigrants need lasting reform to reunite separated families, protect
workers and provide a pathway to legal status and eventual citizenship
for undocumented immigrants," said the Rev. John L. McCullough, Church
World Service Executive Director and CEO.

Following the devastating earthquake that struck Haiti last month, the
U.S government extended Temporary Protected Status to Haitians who have
resided in the United States since the day of the earthquake and who
meet other eligibility requirements.  TPS grantees are spared the fear
of deportation to their ravaged country and allowed to live and work
legally in the United States for 18 months, enabling them to contribute
to the rebuilding of Haiti.

Today's "TPS Day" in New York City was the first of three being
cosponsored by CWS, Justice for Our Neighbors and Brooklyn Jubilee
(next: Feb. 26 and March 4) and, like the other events around the
country, were staffed by accredited immigration attorneys.

TPS applicants spoke of their nieces, nephews, in-laws and siblings in
Haiti who need their support all the more since the January 12
earthquake.

"Without documentation, it's like you don't exist in this
country," said a woman who came to the United States "21 years ago,
hoping for a better life, to go to school, to have a decent job.  That
didn't happen, and I'm getting old now!  I depend on friends to call
me for odd jobs.  With TPS, I'll be able to call potential employers
myself."

Another applicant described the extended family in Haiti that relies on
him for assistance.  He said that, though undocumented, he has been able
to find enough work, but has been pained to not be able to visit Haiti
to see family - especially his son.

"When I left, my son was 3.  Now he's 21.  We've not seen each
other all this time.  We do our best," he said with a sigh.
CWS-Lancaster's TPS Day helped Haitians with TPS, citizenship and
"green card" applications.

"Lancaster has a decent-sized Haitian community, most with status but
a number without," said Janet Tisinger, immigration counselor and
Cuban/Haitian Program Coordinator at the agency. "It's too bad this
is the way it happened - no one wants an earthquake - but we wanted to
get these people in the door to let them know they are eligible and can
apply for TPS."

Tisinger told the story of a family whose situation illustrates the
need both for TPS and for lasting immigration relief for Haitians and
other immigrants.

"We had a mother come in with her daughter to translate," she said.

"She has been in the United States for at least 20 years and
doesn't have status.  She has three daughters, two ages 14 and 20
who are U.S. citizens and one age 16 back in Haiti and of course
affected by earthquake.

"The mother has been waiting until one of her daughters turns 21 so
she can apply for legal status for her mother.  That daughter also will
be able to apply for her sister in Haiti, but there is a wait time of
about 10 years."

CWS-Miami held a special TPS Day Feb. 17 at Shalom Community Church in
north Miami, to supplement the information/legal clinics it holds every
Friday at the church.  The office also assists Haitian clients daily at
its Doral office.

In addition to helping Haitians apply for TPS, CWS is providing
post-earthquake material aid and other support in Haiti, with an
emphasis on supporting at-risk children and people with disabilities,
and is extending services to badly injured Haitians medevaced to U.S.
hospitals.

To date, CWS's Atlanta affiliate has received 45 medical evacuees
including their accompaniers, and the CWS Miami Office has received 62
medical evacuees (including accompaniers), most of whom are still in its
care.  The exceptions include an injured man who was released from a
Miami hospital and is now recuperating in Lancaster, Pa., under the care
of the CWS office there (he is accompanied by his mother), and an
injured woman and her accompanier mother, who flew to Louisville, Ky.,
yesterday (Feb. 16) for recuperation in the care of the CWS affiliate
there.

Media Contact

Lesley Crosson, 212 870-2676, media@churchworldservice.org
Jan Dragin, 781 925-1526, jdragin@gis.net