From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Diocesan gatherings consider mission, ministries for the future

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:35:14 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - Diocesan gatherings consider mission, ministries
for the future
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - NORTHERN MICHIGAN: Diocese forms bishop search  committee
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - WASHINGTON: Christian-Muslim Summit will launch
diplomatic initiatives to end violence
* DAYBOOK - February 19: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - Letters to My Daughter

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

Diocesan gatherings consider mission, ministries for the future

Conventions, councils continue to remember Haiti

>By Pat McCaughan and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Snow storms and Haiti continued to get
attention as five Episcopal Church dioceses gathered on the Feb. 11-13
weekend to celebrate their ministries and plan for the next year.

In the Diocese of Alabama, videoconferencing brought a snowbound
keynote speaker and two Haitian priests in touch with convention
participants.

Also in Alabama, Bishop Henry Parsley announced that he will retire at
the end of 2011.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119575_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

NORTHERN MICHIGAN: Diocese forms bishop search committee

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Diocese of Northern Michigan
has chosen an 11-member committee to guide the search for its next
bishop, and laid out a timeline for the search.

"The Standing Committee was committed to having a search committee
that is representative of our diocese's geography and diversity," said
Linda Piper, chair of the Standing Committee. "With this committee, we
have achieved that goal. We are grateful to all of its members for
agreeing to serve."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119574_ENG_HTM.htm

>_ _ _ _ _

WASHINGTON: Christian-Muslim Summit will launch diplomatic initiatives
to end violence

[Washington National Cathedral] Delegations consisting of leaders from
Anglican, Shi'a, Sunni and Catholic faith traditions will convene
March 1-3 at Washington National Cathedral to discuss reconciliation
between Islam and the West.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119554_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On February 19, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 19, 1377, John Wycliffe stood trial in
London's St. Paul's Cathedral for his criticism of the church.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Letters to My Daughter" from Random House, Inc., by Maya Angelou, 166
pages, hardcover, c. 2008, $25

[Random House, Inc.] For a world of devoted readers, a much-awaited
new volume of absorbing stories and inspirational wisdom from one of
our best-loved writers.

Dedicated to the daughter she never had but sees all around her,
Letter to My Daughter reveals Maya Angelou's path to living well and
living a life with meaning. Told in her own inimitable style, this
book transcends genres and categories: guidebook, memoir, poetry, and
pure delight.

Here in short spellbinding essays are glimpses of the tumultuous life
that led Angelou to an exalted place in American letters and taught
her lessons in compassion and fortitude: how she was brought up by her
indomitable grandmother in segregated Arkansas, taken in at thirteen
by her more worldly and less religious mother, and grew to be an
awkward, six-foot-tall teenager whose first experience of loveless sex
paradoxically left her with her greatest gift, a son.

Whether she is recalling such lost friends as Coretta Scott King and
Ossie Davis, extolling honesty, decrying vulgarity, or simply singing
the praises of a meal of red rice-Maya Angelou writes from the heart
to millions of women she considers her extended family.

"I gave birth to one child, a son, but I have thousands of daughters.
You are Black and White, Jewish and Muslim, Asian, Spanish speaking,
Native Americans and Aleut. You are fat and thin and pretty and plain,
gay and straight, educated and unlettered, and I am speaking to you
all. Here is my offering to you."

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.