From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

During Lent, Christian leaders press immigration reform

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:20:52 -0500

>Embarking on a 'shared Lenten journey,'
>Christian leaders press immigration reform

>See also: www.interfaithimmigration.org
>http://advocacydays.org
>www.ncccusa.org/immigration

New York, February 19, 2010 -- Responding to a "divine mandate" and as a  "patriotic act," the chief executives of the National Council of  Churches and Church World Service are pressing "comprehensive  immigration reform" in the United States.

In a letter to the leaders of the 36 communions that compose their  organizations, the Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, NCC General Secretary, and  the Rev. John L. McCullough, CWS Executive Director and CEO, said the  urgent need for immigration reform must be a shared Christian concern in  the season of Lent.

"As in years past, we are at a significant moment of convergence where  our faith commitments and values and the needs of millions of  disenfranchised people converge," Kinnamon and McCullough said in a  February 16 letter to heads of communion.

"We join together in stating our commitment to advocate for  comprehensive immigration reform that is humane, effective and that  upholds the human and civil rights of immigrants."

The letter expressed concern for the 12 million immigrants living in the  U.S. who "find themselves without the hope of becoming citizens,  reuniting with family members or enjoying the legal protections that  most of us take for granted. Yet many of these people have lived and  worked in our communities for years, becoming our friends and family,  and often performing the daily tasks that enhance our quality of life."

The two executives said in their letter that they joined with the U.S.  Conference of Catholic Bishops, National Association of Evangelicals,  National Hispanic Leadership Conference "and millions of other people of  faith" in calling for immigration reform that "will improve and protect  the lives of millions of people."

They called on heads of communion to consider the following actions:

1.) Host a prayer vigil or community event to pray for immigrants and  call for immigration reform, inviting your members of Congress and local  media to attend

2.) Dedicate a sermon, bible study theme, or series of Sunday School  lessons to Christ's teachings to welcome the stranger, love our  neighbors, and work for justice

3.) Call, write, and meet with your members of Congress - individually  and as a community group - to urge them to support immigration reform
4.) Organize members of your community, or send representatives, to  Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) March 19th - 22nd and a rally for  immigration reform on March 21.

5)  Get connected to and utilize resources related to your  denomination's efforts on immigration reform.
The full text of the letter follows. For a printable version, see  www.ncccusa.org/pdfs/HOCimmigration100216.pdf.

>February 16, 2010

>Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:

As Christian leaders, we write to you on the eve of our shared Lenten  journey about an issue of urgent concern to all of us in this nation:   Comprehensive Immigration Reform.

Today, more than 12 million immigrants living in the United States find  themselves without the hope of becoming citizens, reuniting with family  members or enjoying the legal protections that most of us take for  granted.  Yet many of these people have lived and worked in our  communities for years, becoming our friends and family, and often  performing the daily tasks that enhance our quality of life.

Unless there are major policy changes enacted by the U.S. Congress, many  of these people will continue to languish in the shadows and be  subjected to abuse, discrimination and hardships that are contrary to  the Gospel values of love, unity and the affirmation of the dignity of  all people.

The preamble to the "Resolution on Immigration and a Call for Action"  adopted by our member churches at the 2008 General Assembly of the  National Council of Churches USA and Church World Service states

"In a world fragmented by fearfulness, Christians proclaim a divine love  that casts out fear (1John4:18) and binds even those the world calls  enemies (Matthew 5:44).  In a society still divided by race and  increasingly divided into haves and have nots, Christians affirm a  vision of community in which every neighbor is valued as a child of God  (Genesis 1:27) and all neighbors have enough (Luke 6). In a world  fractured by suspicion of those who are "other," Christians have heard a  command to welcome strangers (Genesis 18, Hebrews 13:2), even as Christ  has welcomed us (Romans 15:7)."

These words remind us that as Christians we are called to affirm our  interrelatedness and interdependence with every child of God, and are  called not only to come to the aid of one another, but are commanded to  rise to support those who are marginalized in our society.

In response to this divine mandate, and as a patriotic act in the spirit  of our nation's best values and traditions, we join together with our  brothers and sisters from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops,  National Association of Evangelicals, National Hispanic Leadership  Conference and millions of other people of faith throughout the country  in calling for comprehensive immigration reform that will improve and  protect the lives of millions of people, in accordance with the U.S.  Constitution and international agreements.

We understand that change of our immigration system will not be easy.   Yet we also believe change is possible. We are encouraged that President  Obama and key leaders from both the Democratic and Republican parties  have agreed that reform is needed, that key legislation, such as  Representative Gutierrez's "Comprehensive Immigration Reform for  America's Security and Prosperity" bill (CIR ASAP) has already been  introduced, and that additional reform legislation from Senator Schumer  and others will be introduced in the weeks ahead.

We also know that for humane immigration reform to be enacted, your  faithful witness as to the importance of comprehensive immigration  reform will be needed.  We ask you to be present, be connected and  help organize immigration reform efforts in your local community.   Actions to consider include:

1.) Host a prayer vigil or community event to pray for immigrants and  call for immigration reform, inviting your members of Congress and local  media to attend

2.) Dedicate a sermon, bible study theme, or series of Sunday School  lessons to Christ's teachings to welcome the stranger, love our  neighbors, and work for justice

3.) Call, write, and meet with your members of Congress - individually  and as a community group - to urge them to support immigration reform
4.) Organize members of your community, or send representatives, to  Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) March 19th - 22nd and a rally for  immigration reform on March 21.

5)  Get connected to and utilize resources related to your  denomination's efforts on immigration reform.

Many congregations have already hosted prayer vigils, met with their  members of Congress, are coordinating bus loads of congregants to attend  Ecumenical Advocacy Days, and are ready to provide help to other  congregations who want to act now. Resources for hosting a prayer vigil  and meeting with Congress, policy positions and electronic postcard for  individuals to sign, and a community calendar to post events, can be  found at www.interfaithimmigration.org. Information on EAD can be found  at http://advocacydays.org, and additional resources can be found at  www.ncccusa.org/immigration or by contacting Jen Smyers, Associate for  Immigration and Refugee Policy Church World Service.  Jen can reached  at 202.481.6935 or jsmyers@churchworldservice.org.

As in years past, we are at a significant moment of convergence where  our faith commitments and values and the needs of millions of  disenfranchised people converge.  We join together in stating our  commitment to advocate for comprehensive immigration reform that is  humane and effective and that upholds the human and civil rights of  immigrants.

Our prayer and hope is that you will invite your fellow believers to  join you in advocacy for justice in this crucial and historic time.

Many  Blessings,                                                    Michael Kinnamon, NCC General Secretary, John L. McCullough,CWS  Executive Director and CEO
                                     Archbishop Vicken Aykazian
Ecumenical Officer, Armenian Church in America

The Rev. Geoffrey Black

General Minister and President, United Church of Christ

The Rev. Peg Chemberlin

President of the National Council of Churches and Executive Director of the Minnesota Council of Churches

The Rev. Dr. David J. Fekete

President, Swedenborgian Church in North America

>Bishop Johncy Itty
>Episcopal Church
>Chair, Church World Service Board

>Bishop Charles Leigh
>Apostolic Catholic Church

The Rev. Michael Livingston

Executive Director, International Council of Community of Churches

The Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley

General Secretary, American Baptist Churches USA

>Stanley J. Noffsinger
>General Secretary, Church of the Brethren

>The Rev. Gradye Parsons
>Stated Clerk, Presbyterian Church (USA)

>Bishop Sharon Zimmerman Rader
>Ecumenical Officer, United Methodist Church
>
>The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
>Presiding Bishop and Primate of the Episcopal Church

The Rev. Dr. Stephen J. Sidorak, Jr.

General Secretary, General Commission on Christian Unity
and Interreligious Concerns, United Methodist Church

The Rev. Herman Weinlick
Ecumenical Officer, Moravian Church in America

Bishop John R. White, Sr.

Ecumenical Officer, African Methodist Episcopal Church

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),  646-853-4212 (cell) , pjenks@ncccusa.org