From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] MIDDLE EAST: Archbishop of Canterbury visits the West Bank and Gaza

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:19:40 -0500

>Episcopal News Service
>February 24, 2010

>Episcopal News Service is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* WORLD REPORT - MIDDLE EAST: Archbishop of Canterbury visits the West
Bank and Gaza
* WORLD REPORT - World church leader urges other faiths to join
Christians on climate
* PEOPLE - South African theologian Steve de Gruchy presumed dead
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - February 28, 2010 - Second Sunday in Lent -
Year C
* DAYBOOK - February 25: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - Most Loved in All the World: A Story of Freedom

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

MIDDLE EAST: Archbishop of Canterbury visits the West Bank and Gaza

[Episcopal News Service/Lambeth Palace] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams visited the West Bank and Gaza Feb. 22-23 as part of his
four-day visit to the Holy Land.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119728_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

World church leader urges other faiths to join Christians on climate

>By Peter Kenny

[Ecumenical News International, Geneva] Buddhists, Hindus, Jews and
Muslims could strengthen Christians in persuading global leaders to
agree to ambitious and sustainable goals at the next international talks
on climate change if they joined forces, says the newly appointed
general secretary of the World Council of Churches.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_119716_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

South African theologian Steve de Gruchy presumed dead

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] South African theologian, author and activist
Steve de Gruchy is feared dead after he disappeared Feb. 21 while river
tubing with his son in the Natal Midlands near the Drakensburg
Mountains.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_119722_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

February 28, 2010 - Second Sunday in Lent - Year C

(RCL) Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18; Psalm 27; Philippians 3:17-4:1; Luke
13:31-35

>By the Rev. Dr. Frank Hegedus

[Sermons That Work] As Jesus says in today's reading from Luke, "I must
be on my way."

>We Americans are a restless and mobile lot.

Ask around your parish community some Sunday morning at coffee hour, and
you are likely as not to find fellow parishioners who are transplants
from down the road and across the country. Some will have found their
way to this community for work; others, for marriage or retirement.
Still others may even now be charting their next family or career
transition and the move it will entail. Home for many of us today is at
best a loose and elusive geographical term: here today, there tomorrow.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_119438_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On February 25, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 25, 1796, Samuel Seabury, first bishop
of Episcopal Church in the United States, died.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Most Loved in All the World: A Story of Freedom" from the Houghton
Mifflin Company, written by Tonya Cherie Hegamin, illustrated by Cozbi
A. Cabrera, 40 pages, hardcover, c. 2009, $17

[Houghton Mifflin Company] An authentic and powerful account of slavery
and how a handmade quilt helps a little girl leave home for freedom.
With a poet's keen ear, Tonya Hegamin tells the account of a little girl
whose mother is a secret agent on the Underground Railroad. Before
sending her daughter north to freedom, the mother sews a quilt for her
daughter, not only to guide her with its symbols of moss and the north
star, but also to remind her always that the smiling girl in the center
of the quilt is "most loved in all the world." Strikingly illustrated in
unique textile collaging and expressive acrylic paintings.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.