From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pulitzer Photojournalists share skills at Communications Congress

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 13:34:42 -0800

Pulitzer Photojournalists share skills at Communications Congress

NEW YORK, March 1, 2010--Two award-winning journalists, including a
recipient of the Pulitzer Prize, will lead workshops at the upcoming
RC Congress 2010, (www.rccongress2010.org) April 7 - 10  in Chicago.

John White, a staff photographer with the Chicago Sun-Times since
1978, will lead a photojournalism workshop on April 8.   White, who
has described photojournalists as "the eyes" of a newspaper, says: "In
life, in events, there's almost a moment -- there's always a moment
within a moment. And that's what we must capture."

White was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Photojournalism in 1982 for
his "consistently excellent work on a variety of subjects." He has
also won three National Headliner Awards; was the first photographer
inducted into the Chicago Journalism Hall of Fame; has been awarded
the Chicago Press Photographer Association's Photographer of the Year
award five times, and, in 1999, received the Chicago Medal of Merit.

In his presentation to the RC Congress participants, White will
discuss themes that undergird his work as a photojournalist. "I'm
faithful to my purpose, my mission, my assignment, my work, my dreams.
I stay focused on what I'm doing and what's important," White said.
"And I keep in flight - I spread my wings and do it."

The other journalist, Kenneth Irby, will present a workshop on
"Communications Ethics Today," on April 9, dealing with the new
approaches to photographic coverage and presentation required by
converging media and cross-platform publishing.

In the workshop, Irby plans to discuss current convergence efforts,
ethical tough calls, editing strategies and exploring ideas for
developing ethical guidelines for photographic multi-media
presentation. Participants will explore the power of photo-driven
multimedia storytelling to convey information quickly and sharpen
their ability to handle graphic and traumatic news coverage decisions.

Irby is the Florida-based Poynter Institute's visual journalism group
leader and director of diversity. He founded Poynter's photojournalism
program in 1995. He has taught numerous seminars and consults in areas
of photojournalism, leadership, ethics and diversity.

Irby contributed as a photo editor to three Pulitzer Prize-winning
projects while working at Newsday in New York, and he chaired the
photography categories for the 2007 Pulitzer Prize. He is a recipient
of numerous National Press Photographers Association awards. As a
leader and facilitator in the field of visual journalism, Irby is a
frequent lecturer and author on photographic reporting issues, most
recently for National Public Radio.

For information and registration visit www.rccongress2010.org

Media Contact

Lesley Crosson, 212-870-2676, media@churchworldsservice.org