From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Churches stand ready to respond to Chilean earthquake / Episcopal Relief and Development reach

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:42:54 -0500

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts mark opening of Native American youth
center in Arizona
* TOP STORY - Churches stand ready to respond to Chilean earthquake
* TOP STORY - Episcopal Relief and Development reaches out in wake of
Chilean earthquake
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - ALASKA: Bishop nominee slate grows by one
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: U.S. Supreme Court won't hear La
Crescenta petition on property case
* PEOPLE - Two candidates added to bishop suffragan for federal  ministries slate
* DAYBOOK - March 2: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - Feasting on the Word - Preaching the Revised Common
Lectionary - Year C, Volume 2 Lent through Eastertide

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Bulletin inserts mark opening of Native American youth center in Arizona

[Episcopal News Service] Hózhóní means "together we walk in  beauty" in
the Navajo Native American language, and is a fitting name for a
center for native youth that was recently opened in Holbrook, Arizona.
ENS Weekly bulletin inserts for March 14 tell the story of the center,
run mostly by young people for their peers, drawing them into church
life and keeping them away from drugs, alcohol and trouble.

Full text of the insert is below. Inserts may be downloaded.here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119890_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Churches stand ready to respond to Chilean earthquake

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Churches throughout the world are poised to
respond to the devastating magnitude-8.8 earthquake that hit Chile on
Saturday, Feb. 27, killing at least 700 people and damaging some 1.5
million homes.

Episcopal Relief & Development said in a Feb. 28 press release that it
is "reaching out to dioceses in the affected areas to determine the
best course of action," and asked for continued prayers. Presiding
Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said the Episcopal Church "is
saddened by the death and destruction in Chile, and holds our brothers
and sisters in prayer."

The strongest quake to hit Chile in 50 years struck off the Pacific
coast at 2:34 a.m. local time at a depth of nearly 22 miles, sparking
fears of tsumanis. The epicenter was approximately 60 miles northwest
of Chillan, and 220 miles southeast of Chile's capital, Santiago. Some
90 aftershocks have also been reported, including a 6.3-magnitude
quake in Argentina.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119836_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal Relief and Development reaches out in wake of Chilean  earthquake

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Relief and Development is reaching
out to dioceses affected by the magnitude-8.8 earthquake that hit
Chile on Saturday, Feb. 27, killing at least 700 people.

The quake struck off the Pacific coast at 2:34 a.m. local time at a
depth of nearly 22 miles. The epicenter was approximately 60 miles
northwest of Chillan, Chile and 220 miles southeast of Chile's
capital, Santiago. Chile is located along the Pacific Rim's "Ring of
Fire," where the Nazca and South American tectonic plates cross.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_119814_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

LOS ANGELES: U.S. Supreme Court won't hear La Crescenta petition on
property case

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The U.S. Supreme Court announced March 1 that
it would not hear a petition from a breakaway group seeking to regain
the property of St. Luke's of-the-Mountains Episcopal Church in La
Crescenta, California, in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119892_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>ALASKA: Bishop nominee slate grows by one

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Dr. Greg Kimura, president and chief
executive officer of the Alaska Humanities Forum, has been added to
the slate of bishop nominees for the Diocese of Alaska.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_119864_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Two candidates added to bishop suffragan for federal ministries slate

[Episcopal News Service] Two nominees have been added to the slate of
six candidates for the next Episcopal Church's bishop suffragan for
federal ministries.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_119835_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On March 2, 2010, the church remembers Chad, bishop of Lichfield.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On March 2, 1985, Frank T. Griswold was
consecrated as bishop coadjutor of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Feasting on the Word - Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary - Year
C, Volume 2 Lent through Eastertide" from Westminster John Knox Press,
by David L. Bartlett, 560 pages, Hardcover, c. 2009, $39.95

[Westminster John Knox Press] With this lectionary commentary series,
Westminster John Knox Press offers one of the most extensive resources
for preaching on the market today. When complete, the twelve volumes
of the series will cover all the Sundays in the three-year lectionary
cycle, along with movable occasions, such as Christmas Day, Epiphany,
Holy Week, and All Saints' Day.

For each lectionary text, preachers will find four brief essays -- one
each on the theological, pastoral, exegetical, and homiletical
challenges of the text. They might focus on the Gospel text, for
instance, by reading all four essays provided for that text, or they
might explore connections between the Hebrew Bible, Psalm, Gospel, and
Epistle texts by reading the theological essays for each one.

Each lectionary year will consist of four volumes, one for the Advent
and Christmas season, one for Lent and Easter, and one for each half
of Ordinary Time. While the twelve volumes of the series will follow
the pattern of the Revised Common Lectionary, each volume will contain
an index of biblical passages so that non-lectionary preachers may
make use of its contents.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.