From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] CTCR adopts environment-care report

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:08:49 -0600

>3.4.2010
>	LCMS News
>

>THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

	March 4, 2010 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 22

>CTCR adopts environment-stewardship report

>By Linda C. Hoops

At its Feb. 11-13 meeting, the LCMS Commission on Theology and Church
Relations (CTCR) adopted "in principle" a document responding to 2007
convention Res. 3-06 requesting it "to develop a biblical and
confessional report on responsible Christian stewardship of the
environment for use by Synod entities including our schools and churches
as they develop resources for the church at-large."

This same resolution noted that "there is a lack of resources in the
LCMS addressing environmental issues in a scriptural and confessional
way" and that "there is a need for study, for service, for responsible
Christian citizenship, and for concerted action on environmental issues
based on an examination of biblical and confessional resources."

"This is a major report on an issue that is of great interest and
concern to many people -- especially young people -- in today's society.
It addresses a topic that has profound theological and societal
implications, yet has not received much focused attention or theological
treatment in the LCMS over the years," said Dr. Joel Lehenbauer, CTCR
executive director.

Drafted by Dr. Charles Arand, a CTCR member and chairman of the
systematics department at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, the document --
more than 150 pages in manuscript form -- will be published in a small
book format.

Titled "Together With All Creatures: Caring for God's Living Earth," the
document is designed "to help people embrace their identity and calling
as God's creatures to care for God's living earth," according to a brief
summary provided by Arand.

"Toward that end, it first places our lives within the context of God's
own delight in and commitment to His entire creation, both human and
non-human," the summary states.  "This commitment is carried out within
the context of a story that extends from the beginning of creation,
continues with the renewal of creation in the resurrection of Jesus
Christ, and culminates when the Holy Spirit sets it free from its
bondage to corruption with the return of Christ.

"Second, the document encourages Christians to 'get out' into God's
world and discover our many connections to His living earth, so that we
may delight in His handiwork even as we hear the groaning of creation
(Rom. 8:19-23).  As we behold and receive God's living earth with joy
and delight, we can better care for it -- so that all of God's creatures
may be allowed to flourish and together give witness to the glory of
God, in anticipation of being set free when Christ returns."

The report also will be released in several smaller or summary versions
which are intended for use by small groups, congregational Bible study
classes, or as teaching tools in various educational settings.  A final,
revised version will be approved by the commission at its April 22-24
meeting.

"The commission is hopeful that the report will be ready for publication
in some form by mid-July, in time for the Synod's National Youth
Gathering," said Lehenbauer.  "The CTCR plans to sponsor an exhibitor's
booth at the gathering highlighting the preparation and release of this
new report."

The CTCR hosted two consultations in 2009, which brought together a
variety of individuals with interest and expertise on this topic for
their input on the document itself and the best ways to disseminate it
throughout the Missouri Synod, the wider church, and beyond. The
consultations were funded by a grant from Thrivent Financial for
Lutherans.

"We are extremely grateful for all the people who took the time out of
their schedules to meet with us, share their ideas and encouragement,
and help bring this project to completion," Lehenbauer said.

In other action, the CTCR encouraged LCMS President Gerald B. Kieschnick
to respond positively to a recent request from Archbishop Robert Duncan
to "explore dialogue" between the Missouri Synod and the recently-formed
Anglican Church in North America (ACNA), which Duncan heads.  This was
Commission.

The ACNA, with 100,000 Anglicans in 700 parishes, was formally
recognized as a "province-in-formation" in April 2009 by leaders of
Anglican churches representing 70 percent of active Anglicans globally.
It is based in Pennsylvania.

According to its Web site ( http://anglicanchurch.net/) the church body
"represents the reuniting of orthodox Anglicans who have been squeezed
out of the Episcopal Church and Anglican Church of Canada by successive
changes to historic Christian teaching and Anglican practice."

In his letter of response to Duncan, Kieschnick wrote, "I believe that
discussions such as you have outlined would prove to be a blessing for
each of our churches."

Dr. Samuel Nafzger, LCMS director of church relations, will meet with
the appropriate ACNA officials to work out the details of how to
facilitate these discussions.  Nafzger attended ACNA's Inaugural
Assembly last June in Bedford, Texas.

Linda C. Hoops is a freelance writer and a member of Lutheran Church of
the Resurrection, Sunset Hills, Mo.

>***************************************

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact
Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org
<mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org>  or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter
Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org>  or (314)
996-1230.

>***************************************

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided
by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d
=6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that
does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on
"Contact Editor" above.

>_____

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and many others,
please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
Share this Newsletter <http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=8532
with a Friend.
MessageId=8532 UserId=10073

>_____

© 2002 - 2008 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod  <http://www.lcms.org/
.
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.