From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gender equality begins with fair treatment of foreign brides

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:36:32 -0800

>      Taiwan Church News

>3027 Edition

>March 1~7, 2010

Gender equality begins with fair treatment of foreign brides

>Reported by Sam Lee

>Written by Lydia Ma

Who will take time and really listen to the voices and concerns of  foreign
brides in Taiwan?

Kaohsiung Christian Family Counseling Center (KFC) recently held a  film
festival on the lives

of women immigrants. Many foreign brides used this opportunity to  voice their
thoughts and

>concerns.

Though the festival captured a facet of Taiwan’s diversity, a  few days later,
a teacher from a

junior high school in Kaohsiung made headlines when the teacher  was overheard
calling a

student “barbarian,” prompting the student to commit  suicide. The tragedy
prompted lots of

discussion because the student’s mother was a foreign bride  and the incident
reflected that

there remains a lot of misunderstanding and discrimination against  foreign
brides.

In recent years, churches across Taiwan have begun focusing on  reaching out to
foreign

brides after realizing many foreign brides struggle with meeting  the
expectations of their new

families, their families back home, their referral agencies, and  their
in-laws, on top of bringing

>up their children.

Last year, PCT General Assembly set up Gender Equality Committee.  For PCT,
taking care

of some 430,000 foreign brides nationwide is another way of  furthering gender
equality. As

we celebrate Women Ministries Sunday on the first Sunday of March,  let us
think about

reaching out to foreign brides and making it an important part of  our women
ministries.

It is up to church and society to correct misconceptions

According to KFC, there is room for improvement when it comes to  Taiwanese
people’s

views on cross-cultural marriages. Treating women who’ve come  to Taiwan as
foreign brides

with respect and fairness is one of the most important means for  churches in
Taiwan to

>advance gender equality.

According to Kaohsiung City New Immigrant Families Service Center  (founded by
Kaohsiung

and Shou-Shan Presbyteries), when foreign brides encounter  problems after
getting married

to their Taiwanese husbands, or when conflicts occur with in-laws,  their
husband’s family

usually feel the daughter-in-law is not submissive enough and  should be
replaced. Some may

go as far as suggesting the family should purchase a new, more  suitable wife
for the husband.

Such views reflect poorly on many Taiwanese families and imply  that many of
them treat

foreign brides as mere tools and ignore the importance of marriage  and family
as social

>institutions.

Churches can prevent this trend by training members to adopt  proper
perspectives on family,

marriage, and the relationship between husbands and wives.  However, Kaohsiung
Immigrant

Families Center acknowledged that media and society have also  affected how
Christians

view foreign brides as well. As result, churches have spent a lot  of time
correcting stereotypes

and misconceptions among its members in the past few years. Their  efforts have
slowly

changed the way Christians treat foreign brides.

Despite progress, it is very difficult for foreign brides to get  plugged in at
church become of

language barriers. Most PCT churches use Taiwanese during Sunday  services and
foreign

brides usually have a hard time understanding the language. When  it comes to
reading the

Bible, the writing style used in most Chinese Bibles is often too  complex for
foreign brides to

understand even if Bible studies are taught in Mandarin.

In recent years, more and more churches are ministering to foreign  brides and
helping these

women adjust to life in a new country. Churches often offer  classes on various
subjects or help

these women acquire needed tools, such as a driver’s license.

However, cultural differences and language barriers create real  limitations
for volunteers. This

situation has prompted KFC to suggest that PCT partner with  churches abroad
and invite

Vietnamese or Indonesian missionaries to come to Taiwan and  minister to these
women on a

>long-term basis.

To add to the challenge, Christians who marry foreign brides  rarely bring
their wives to church.

This trend is especially apparent in middle-class, urban churches  where
Christians have

adopted secular views on foreign brides. Even Christians forget  that “everyone
is created by

>God and everyone is equal before God.”

Taiwanese society views having a wife from countries such as  Vietnam,
Indonesia or Thailand

as reflective of one’s lower social and financial status,  whereas having a
wife from Europe,

America, Japan, or other industrialized countries is a source of  pride and
indicative of a

>person’s higher status.

One foreign bride’s plea – the story of Hsiao-Hui

If we were to sum up the heart cry of Hsiao-Hui, a foreign bride  from
Indonesia, it would be,

“I’m a family member, not an object.”

“My name is Hsiao-Hui, I’m a Chinese-Indonesian and  I’ve been married for
four-and-a-half

years. I came to Taiwan with my husband two years ago. We  don’t have children.
In my family,

only my sister and I are Christians. We used to live in the second  largest
city in Indonesia.”

“My husband and I are 18 years apart. We met in Indonesia,  fell in love, and
got married. The

first two years of our marriage was spent in Indonesia and we  lived quite
happily. But ever

since I followed my husband back to Taiwan, my life has been  filled with
restrictions.”

“My husband prefers that I stay at home all the time. Perhaps  he is afraid
that I will be conned

or taken advantage outside. Every time I go out, I can tell from  his demeanor
that he doesn’t

like it very much and it will be a long time before I can go out  again.”

“I basically don’t have any friends in Taiwan and my  daily life consists of
preparing three

meals, doing house chores, and, if there are guests, helping out.  My schedule
is determined

by the people around me and meeting their needs.”

“My husband’s family believes in folk religion and  worships ancestors, but I
am a Christian. My

mother-in-law has not been very understanding of my faith. Though  I speak
Mandarin, I’m not

as fluent as Taiwanese people. That’s why it is difficult to  get my point
across during

arguments, leading to more misunderstandings and this bothers  me.”

“The gap between my husband and I grows wider with every  passing day. We live
under the

same roof, but our hearts are apart. Because of my faith, I  don’t dare get a
divorce, but if I

were to call home and tell my parents the truth, they’d urge  me to go home. My
husband tells

me that we’re pretty well off and I should be content. But  problems with
in-laws, cultural shock,

and age difference are real problems to me.”

“After being introduced to KFC, I got acquainted with some  women and had some
counseling.

Though I can’t get out often, it is very comforting to know  people who share
the same faith as

me and receive their help. Now I feel calmer whenever I encounter  problems and
I blame

>myself less often.”

“Though I’m doing well financially, the truth is that,  at home, I’m treated as
a belonging instead

of a family member. This is hard to bear because I feel family  members
shouldn’t hurt one

another or see one another as enemies. I hope that all  parents-in-law out
there can give their

sons-in-law and daughters-in-law some space, and respect their  individualism.
I also hope

that Taiwanese people will not make every problem a “foreign  bride problem”
because even

Taiwanese people experience these problems during their marriages  and we
should respect

>one another.”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)