From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: Living out God’s call for women in this world

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:45:31 -0800

>      Taiwan Church News

>3027 Edition

>March 1~7, 2010

Editorial: Living out God’s call for women in this world

>Translated by Lydia Ma

In one of the hymns found in our new hymn book, there is a hymn  that speaks
about the

complexity of God’s image. The second verse of this hymn  highlights God’s
female attributes.

As we celebrate Women’s Sunday this week, it’s worth  spending some time
reflecting on this

issue to help us build a diverse and creative church.

In the past, churches always viewed God as masculine and evaluated  church
ministries from a

man’s point of view. Though women may have participated in  ministries, they
would always

play a secondary or supportive role in this male-dominated  setting. Because of
this

phenomenon, women’s creativity and uniqueness could never be  fully manifested.
Though

churches may promote gender equality by advocating 50-50  participation ratio,
at the end of

>the day, many are only playing a charade.

Knowing God’s more feminine attributes or roles helps women  recover their true
image and

self-confidence instilled by God at the beginning of creation. It  is only when
they are thus

awakened, that women can create ministries that fit them. This  process also
helps ministries

in the PCT to be more diverse and successfully meet the challenges  of
evangelism in the 21st

>century.

By focusing on God’s feminine attributes, this hymn offers us  a few clues on
how feminine

qualities support women’s ministries. First, women are very  hard-working and
excel in time

management. Though humans aren’t like God who needs no rest,  women portray
God’s

resourcefulness through their excellent time management skills and  sense of
responsibility.

Second, women’s creativity and leadership skills reflect  God’s wisdom and
creativity at the

creation of the universe. We discover that creativity and  leadership do not
belong exclusively

to men as tradition would have us think. In fact, according to a  survey by
Cultural Creativity

Association, 70% of creative cultural ideas were invented by  women. Women get
creativity

from interpersonal relationships, their own sensitivity, and their  lively
imagination. All of these

attributes are what present church ministries need to ward off  rigidity and
boredom.

Finally, women excel in making everything equal, fair, and  balanced and this
makes them very

suitable and necessary in administration. Women are more likely to  participate
in public

affairs or administration with the goal of furthering justice and
reconciliation. Women are also

more understanding and other-oriented – something they must  have learned from
managing

their own homes. Such tendencies are reflective of God’s  desire to reconcile
the world through

>Christ, save the world, and extend grace.

When we emphasize on the feminine or motherly qualities of God, we  are
simultaneously

pointing out that God also has another fatherly side that is  equally
important. The creation of

man and woman and their respective attributes was intended to  foster
cooperation, not

competition or enmity, between individuals. Such cooperation is  how we
actualize what God

>had in mind for all of creation.

There can only be one Truth, but how we portray this Truth in real  life can be
very creative and

lively. This is a new goal women in the church can set when  responding to
God’s call.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)