From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Building Up the Church Through Theological Education

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:42:05 -0800

Anglican Communion Theological Education group (TEAC 2)
Posted On : March 11, 2010 12:46 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/3/11/ACNS4690
Related Categories: ACO - Theological

Anglican Communion Theological Education group (TEAC 2) commits to the
work of 'building up' the Church through theological education

Meeting in Canterbury at the beginning of Lent 2010, the first meeting
of the Steering Group of TEAC2, established by ACC 14 in Jamaica in May
2009, has been nourished and undergirded by the Scripture-soaked worship
of this Cathedral in which we have been privileged to share.

As we sought to express our vision for the fostering and celebration of
theological education in the Anglican Communion, a wealth of scriptural
wisdom formed and shaped our reflections. Lent is a time of discipline
and catechesis, of preparation to enable the baptised to share more
fully in the mysteries of the death and resurrection of Christ. We want
to share our perception that the path of theological education
appropriately reflects the Lenten journey in the life of the Church.
This path may begin inviting us out to the wilderness where 'silence
reigns' enabling us to listen more acutely to the voice of God; yet in
the wilderness we are also invited to pitch a 'tent of meeting', of
encounter with God and with others.

In the wilderness also God gives the gift of water and this visible
symbol of his presence (Exodus 17.7) is a reminder that God meets
physical and material, spiritual and intellectual needs of his people.
Theological education needs to take account of all these aspects.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the Gospel story of the encounter
between Jesus and the woman at the well of Samaria (John 4.5-42) where
the need for, and gift of, water, vital for human existence, provides
the starting point for probably the most extended theological discussion
which Jesus has with any individual in the Gospels. We noted that this
text appears in the Revised Common Lectionary as a reading for the
Lenten period (Year A). We have discovered that the well that this story
taps into is indeed deep and offers rich resources to be explored in the
context of theological education.

Earlier work of TEAC produced the 'Signposts statement' which sought to
set out the essentials of the Anglican Way. This was widely shared in
the Anglican Communion, and used as a resource for the reflection on
Anglican identity at the 2008 Lambeth Conference. This statement about
the Anglican Way suggested that as Anglican Christians we are:

*       Formed by scripture
*       Shaped through worship
*       Ordered for Communion
*       Directed by God's mission

In our deliberations in Canterbury we have come to realise that this
four-fold 'Signposts' statement not only sets out the structure of the
Anglican Way but can also provide an appropriate framework for
theological education itself. This too needs to be formed by scripture,
shaped through worship, ordered for communion and directed by mission.

Our fruitful discussions have enabled us to draw connections between the
'Signposts', the Gospel narrative of John 4 and the needs of theological
education. We have noted, for example, that the discussion between Jesus
and the woman is embedded in the scriptural heritage which both shared;
that the need for 'true worship' is a significant focus of their
conversation; that it addresses the ordering of healthy relationships,
and the priority of living in God's time; and that the discourse has a
profoundly missionary thrust, ending with the affirmation by the woman's
Samaritan co-religionists that 'we have seen that this is the Saviour of
the world'. (John 4.42)

We have established our goals and priorities for the work of TEAC 2.
These will fall in five areas.

*       Facilitation of networking
*       Development of resources
*       Funding
*       Communication
*       Advocacy

We have discussed and assigned specific tasks for TEAC that come within
these parameters. Out of this we have begun to develop our programme of
work for the forthcoming year. We intend to hold a consultation for
theological college principals, as well as building further on the work
done at a consultation organised for women theological educators in
2008. We will develop a database of Anglican theological educators, and
revise and update existing lists of Anglican theological education
institutions. We hope to develop an email network of those with
Provincial roles in training for ministry. We will seek to publish four
more booklets in the 'Signposts' series, each of which will offer an
accessible guide to an aspect of the 'Signposts' statement. We will
continue our programme of translating key resources into a variety of
the languages used in the Anglican Communion. We will explore the
viability of developing a web-based course in Anglican Studies. We will
work at issues of communication, developing further the TEAC section on
the Anglican Communion website. In particular we will ensure that the
'ministry grids', already published on this site, become more widely
known. We will continue, in so far as we are able, to work with a
variety of regional bodies and groups, to strengthen Anglican
theological education at the regional as well as Provincial level. We
consider that theological education is vital for the whole people of God
as they seek to give 'an account for the hope' that is in them (1 Peter
3.15).

As we have begun to plan our Steering Group meeting for 2011, we state
our commitment to using it as an opportunity not simply for meeting, but
also to be a time for offering practical support and advocacy for
theological education in an under-resourced part of the Anglican
Communion.

As members of TEAC 2 we are very conscious that we are building on the
foundations laid by the members of the earlier TEAC Working Party and we
want to offer them our gratitude. (A brief resume of some of the work
done by the earlier Working Party is listed at the end of this email.)
TEAC 2 holds similar values to its predecessor in relation to
theological education - that it should be life-long, multi-faceted,
accessible to all, encouraging active learning, attending to context as
well as content, and valuing the vital ministry of theological
educators.

Christ our Teacher,

you alone are the way, the truth and the life:
so lead this Theological Education group in its work,
building trust and understanding,
that, in sharing our stories, vision and resources,
all your people may grow in faith
and your whole Church built up in love,
in the power of the Holy Spirit
and to the glory of the Father.
Amen.
(Colleen O'Reilly, originally written for TEAC1)

Members of TEAC 2 Steering Group

Archbishop Colin Johnson (Toronto, Canada, Chair)
Revd Dr Sathianathan Clarke (India) *
Canon Dr Ed Condry (UK, Canterbury)
Rt Revd Dr Michael Fape (Nigeria and TEAC Regional Associate)
Rt Revd Dr Chad Gandiya (Zimbabwe)
Revd Dr Helen-Ann Hartley (UK)
Revd Sally Sue Hernandez Garcia (Mexico and TEAC Regional Associate)
Rt Revd Kumara Illangasinghe (Sri Lanka)
Revd Professor Cynthia Briggs Kittredge  (USA)
Rt Revd Dr Stephen Pickard (Australia)
Very Revd Dr Patrick Tanhuanco (Philippines)
Revd Dr Joseph Wandera (Kenya and South Africa)
Ms Sue Parks (representing the staff of the Archbishop of Canterbury)
Mrs Clare Amos (Director of Theological Studies Anglican Communion
Office, and Secretary to TEAC 2)

* Dr Clarke was unable to be present at the 2010 meeting.

For more information or to obtain resources referred to contact Clare
Amos, Director of Theological Studies, at
clare.amos@anglicancommunion.org

Notes:

ACC 14 Resolution 14.08: Theological Education in the Anglican Communion
(Theological Studies)

Resolved, 11.05.09

The Anglican Consultative Council:

*       thanks the current members of TEAC for their work and
contribution to the     development of theological education in the
Anglican Communion;
*       welcomes the new phase of the Working Party;
*       endorses the proposed structure and tasks as set out in the
submission received;
*       welcomes the establishment of the informal network "Connecting
Anglican Women in       Theological Education" and asks those
responsible for the work of TEAC to support     and encourage its
further development.

The tasks accomplished by the first TEAC Working Party include the
following:

The production of a series of ministry grids setting out necessary
competencies, skills and qualities for the exercise of various forms of
ministry and Christian discipleship in the churches of the Anglican
Communion. These are available electronically at
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/ministry/theological/teac/grids/index.c
fm

The setting out of a guidelist of books relating to the teaching of
Anglican Studies, which the group believed ought to be in the libraries
of all institutions training people for ordained Anglican ministry. Also
the provision of these books to over 35 colleges/training courses in the
developing world.

The translation of a core textbook for Anglican Studies 'Something in
Common', by Adrian Chatfield (published by St John's College,
Nottingham) into Spanish, Portuguese, Swahili and shortly French. Copies
of the translations have been distributed. Copies will also shortly be
available for purchase via a 'shop' on the Anglican Communion website.
The 'Signposts' statement, 'The Anglican Way: Signposts on a Common
Journey', which seeks to set out the essentials of Anglican identity and
ministry, and which was used as the basis for the session on Anglican
identity by the bishops at the 2008 Lambeth Conference. This is
available in a number of languages. See
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/ministry/theological/signposts/english.
cfm

Establishing a series of booklets, 'the Signposts series', as a teaching
resource linked to the above statement. Copies of booklets already
published will be available via the Anglican Communion 'shop'. Further
booklets in the series will be published over the coming years.

Seeking to support and develop the ministry of theological educators. A
consultation for Anglican women theological educators was held in
February 2009, and there are a number of follow up projects from this
consultation.

Beginning the development of the 'Theological Studies' section of the
Anglican Communion website as a resource for theological education.