From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC - Tsunami scare fails to halt Hawaii church's rededication

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:32:21 -0700

Tsunami scare fails to halt Hawaii church's rededication

Written by Diane Weible
March 15, 2010

Punctuated by disaster warning sirens the morning of Feb. 27, 2010, the blowing of the conch shell at Kalahikiola Congregational UCC signaled the start of the rededication celebration.

"The tsunami has brought back some emotions and feelings of when the earthquake happened," said Ron Hester, former moderator and one of the leaders of the rebuilding effort. "It's a celebration, but it reminds me that there are people that are hurting even during this occasion ... It helps me remain respectful."

The Oct. 15, 2006, 6.7 magnitude earthquake destroyed part of the building, rendering the 150-year old sanctuary unsafe for use.

With the help of the UCC Insurance Board, donations from members and the wider community, and hard work on everyone's part, the sanctuary was restored and a rededication service planned.

As the tsunami warning sirens faded, the sound of the oli (chant) to welcome guests and the music of the worshipping community grew even louder.

In his sermon based on 1 Chronicles 28, the Rev. George Baybrook, interim pastor at the time of the earthquake, reminded everyone gathered why the church decided to rebuild.

"We didn't do this because we are on the historical registry. We didn't do it for the tourists. We didn't do it to say, 'We are good. Come see what we built,' We did it for the glory of God," he said. Dancers perform a traditional Hula at the rededication ceremony for the restored Kalahikiola UCC.
Photo Kuulei Funn

Gathered in the new, restored sanctuary, church members recalled the days prior to and following the earthquake.

The night before the quake, the youth group was in the building and one of the passages they studied was Haggai 2:6-9. "In a little while I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land; and I will shake all the nations, so that the treasure of all nations shall come, and I will fill this house with splendor, says the Lord of Hosts." This was the last scripture read in the old sanctuary, originally built in Oct. 1855 by missionary Elias Bond.

During the worship celebration, church leaders recalled how former Hawaii Conference Foundation Executive Director John Derby visited the church immediately after the earthquake and pledged support to the rebuilding process.

The United Church Insurance Board (IB) was also a very present help as as the church considered its options. "The historic nature of the Kalahikiola Church presented numerous challenges to reconstruction, but I'm delighted at the result!" said Cathy Green, IB President and CEO. "Our first concern after hearing of the damage was whether the church had earthquake coverage since it's an option in our program. Fortunately, the church had chosen earthquake protection."

In the days following the earthquake, the council met and two decisions were made: To rebuild the church, and to appoint a restoration committee to lead the effort. Because the church had earthquake coverage, the contribution from the IB, along with community support and help from other churches, allowed the rebuilding effort to happen.

"We had never been faced with such a humongous task except when they first built this church in 1855," Baybrook said in his sermon.

"In a comforting way, we knew it would come back together," said Pat Ku, chair of the rebuilding and restoration committee. "And by God's grace it all came back together. It's amazing, the amount of people that stepped up to the plate and helped."

"Pastor George [Baybrook] brought us through this process in ways we didn't know we needed," said Hester. "It's been an honor to be a part of this congregation who listened respectively to different ideas but always, always, turned to God for the final answer.

Ron added that in many ways, the rededication service is so much more than just the rededication of a building.

"It is also a chance to rededicate our lives to God and to the love and respect we have for each other," he said.

The rededication was visibly shared in the shell lei each person received as they arrived for the celebration. "It was coral and shells which were the mortar that held the stones [of the former building] together," said Ron. "The shell lei for each person is a symbol that the church family and the community are the mortar that holds us together as a faith community."

The Hawaii Conference United Church of Christ, represents 130 churches and 20,000 members on six islands with historic ties that go back to the first missionaries who came to Hawaii In 1820.

The Rev. Diane Weible is Associate Conference Minister for the UCC in Hawaii.