From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] House of Bishops to discuss same-gender relationships, hold elections

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:59:06 -0400

Episcopal News Service is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - House of Bishops to discuss same-gender relationships,
hold elections
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - Bishops-elect in Connecticut, Oregon receive
church's consent for ordination
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - ALASKA: 'Our Lady of Alaska' icon conveys Tlingit
culture's hospitality, generosity
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Bishop-elect Mamakwa vows to move indigenous
ministry forward
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Church encourages people to talk openly
about dying, death and bereavement
* WORLD REPORT - UNITED KINGDOM: Archbishop of Canterbury welcomes
papal visit set for September
* MISSION - Trinity Wall Street awards $500,000 in grants
* MISSION - Episcopal News Quarterly debuts as another means to tell
church's story in print
* PEOPLE - Zimbabwe Anglican Jestina Mukoko honored by U.S. Department
of State for human rights work
* DAYBOOK - March 17: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EBAR PICK - "Brother, I'm Dying"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

House of Bishops to discuss same-gender relationships, hold elections

Annual spring Texas gathering a time of reflection, respite

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] A discussion of same-gender relationships
will be on the agenda when more than 115 bishops of the Episcopal
Church gather March 19-24 for their spring retreat meeting in Camp
Allen, Texas.

Bishop Henry Parsley of the Diocese of Alabama, who chairs the House
of Bishops' Theology Committee, said two major papers will be
presented from the study "Same Sex Relationships in the Life of the
Church."

"One paper represents the church's traditional view and the other a
proposal to revise the tradition, and there's a response to each
paper," Parsley said in a March 16 telephone interview from his
Birmingham office.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_120896_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

Bishops-elect in Connecticut, Oregon receive church's consent for  ordination

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Bishops-elect in the dioceses of Connecticut
and Oregon have received the required consent of the wider church to
their ordinations and consecrations.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_120888_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ALASKA: 'Our Lady of Alaska' icon conveys Tlingit culture's
hospitality, generosity

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Contemplating the Our Lady of Alaska icon
means more than words can say for Marge Byrd, a Tlingit elder and a
member of St. Philip's Church in the island community of Wrangell in
the Episcopal Diocese of Alaska.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_120906_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Bishop-elect Mamakwa vows to move indigenous ministry forward

>By Marites N. Sison

[Anglican Journal] As she stood to receive the applause after being
elected first area bishop for the Diocese of Keewatin's northern
Ontario region, Archdeacon Lydia Mamakwa recalls thinking, "Is this
really happening?"

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_120885_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ENGLAND: Church encourages people to talk openly about dying, death
and bereavement

[Church of England] To mark the Dying Matters Coalition's first
Awareness Week (March 15-21, 2010), the Church of England is
encouraging churchgoers to talk openly about dying and death, in a new
podcast suitable for sermon and house group use.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_120881_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

UNITED KINGDOM: Archbishop of Canterbury welcomes papal visit set for  September

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams on
March 16 welcomed the official announcement that His Holiness Pope
Benedict XVI is to visit the United Kingdom in September at the
invitation of Her Majesty The Queen.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_120882_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

>Trinity Wall Street awards $500,000 in grants

[Trinity Wall Street, New York] The Trinity Grants Program awarded
more than $500,000 in funding for the first quarter of 2010, focusing
on peace programs in Burundi and Sudan, and workforce development in
New York City.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_120901_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal News Quarterly debuts as another means to tell church's story  in
print

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal News Quarterly, a 12-page
compilation of news and analysis from Episcopal News Service, debuted
with its first edition on March 15, a press release from the Office of
Public Affairs announced.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_120892_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Zimbabwe Anglican Jestina Mukoko honored by U.S. Department of State
for human rights work

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Jestina Mukoko, a Zimbabwe Anglican and human
rights activist, has been presented with the 2010 International Women
of Courage award (http://www.state.gov/s/gwi/iwoc/2010/index.htm) by
the U.S. Department of State.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_120904_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On March 17, 2010, the church remembers Patrick, bishop and missionary
of Ireland.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On March 17, 1902, George W. Warren, organist and
choir director, died. Warren served at St. Peter's Episcopal Church
and St. Paul's Church in Albany, New York and Holy Trinity Church and
St. Thomas' Church in New York City. No music was played at his
funeral, attended by thousands, as the mourners believed they could
find no finer organist.

>_____________________

>EBAR PICK

"Brother, I'm Dying" from Random House, by Edwidge Danticat, 288
pages, paperback, c. 2008, $15

[Random House] From the age of four, award-winning writer Edwidge
Danticat came to think of her uncle Joseph as her "second father,"
when she was placed in his care after her parents left Haiti for
America. And so she was both elated and saddened when, at twelve, she
joined her parents and youngest brothers in New York City. As Edwidge
made a life in a new country, adjusting to being far away from so many
who she loved, she and her family continued to fear for the safety of
those still in Haiti as the political situation deteriorated.

In 2004, they entered into a terrifying tale of good people caught up
in events beyond their control. Brother I'm Dying is an astonishing
true-life epic, told on an intimate scale by one of our finest
writers.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.