From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Laborers For Christ: ready to build

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:08:03 -0500

>3.18.2010
>       LCMS News
>

>THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

        March 18, 2010 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 26

>Time to build is now, says Laborers spokesman

>By Kim Plummer Krull

In the 30 years that Laborers For Christ has helped LCMS congregations
and organizations tackle their own construction projects and build
within their budgets, Dan Baker says he has "never seen a more
economical time to build than now."

"Material costs are not going up. The end cost of borrowing money is
about the lowest in several years," said Baker, Lutheran Church
Extension Fund (LCEF) vice president, Laborers For Christ.

But along with those construction incentives, Baker says he also sees "a
good number of congregations sitting on the fence and trying to decide
whether they should build."

After taking part in the Laborers For Christ (LFC) conference, March 1-4
in St. Louis, Baker said he wants to assure congregations contemplating
construction of one certainty: "We have the people who are ready,
willing, and able to work on their projects."

"Working Together for Christ" was the theme of the annual gathering,
which drew 71 LFC regional consultants, preconstruction coordinators,
and project managers to discuss best practices and new processes. They
also recognized longtime Laborers, including 25-year LFC veteran John
Corkill of Lanham, Md., and 20-year veterans Curt Connolly of Spokane,
Wash.; Dale and Irma Mellendorf of Louisville, Ill.; and Don and Sue
Guthals of Livingston, Texas.

For many participants, the conference highlight was enjoying fellowship
and spiritual renewal for a ministry that pulls so strongly that men and
women leave their homes to live in recreational vehicles while they help
build and remodel churches and schools throughout the United States.

Like many fellow Laborers at the conference, Ron Johnson is a retiree
who joined the LCEF ministry to serve the Lord. "I wanted to do
something where I could give back after all the blessings I had in my
working life," said the former defense industry program manager and
engineer from West Hills, Calif.

He mentions two other LFC rewards: "I enjoy traveling and every year,
our Christmas card list grows [with new friends made through LFC
projects]," said the LFC regional consultant, a Laborer since 2003.

The conference included a review of 21 projects built last year by
congregations and other LFC participants, including remodeling an
equestrian center into classrooms for Concordia Junior and Senior High
School in Omaha, Neb., and converting an old plastics factory into a
multi-purpose center for the growing Hispanic population in Kansas City,
Mo.

Two congregations participating in LFC built Open Arms Child Development
Centers, construction efforts that many Laborers -- who are also
grandparents and even great-grandparents -- call especially meaningful.

"I have enough grandchildren to know that there is a real need for good
Christian education programs," said Jim Eberhart, an O'Fallon, Mo.,
grandfather of 16 and a former pilot and teacher. Eberhart, an LFC
project manager, is now onsite with fellow Laborers in Slidell, La.,
helping Bethany Lutheran Church build a 9,000-square-foot Open Arms
center.

Along with working alongside congregation volunteers, Laborers look
forward to working with college and seminary students through NAILS, the
ministry's young adult component that debuted last year. Thirty young
people have signed up for the program, an opportunity to participate in
ministry and a summer job.

Baker's only concern about NAILS is if the summer will offer enough
opportunities to accommodate all the eager participants. Along with the
Slidell project, seven others are now scheduled for 2010, including
building a new sanctuary for Creston Lutheran Church in Kalispell,
Mont., and remodeling Saint Paul Lutheran High School in Concordia, Mo.

Laborers hope that a new cost-savings resource -- the Preferred Bidders
Program -- introduced at the conference will serve as another building
incentive to those "on-the-fence" congregations. Preferred Bidders are
subcontractors and suppliers "with a heart for ministry," Baker said.
"These are people who like to work with churches and are inclined to
give a break on costs."

While potential cost savings often motivate congregations and
organizations to participate in LFC, new LCEF President Richard C.
Robertson is among the growing number of Lutherans who recognize that
Laborers' strongest tools build more than buildings.  Robertson used the
conference to make his first presentation to Laborers, whom he called "a
positive group" and "passionate about the ministry."

Laborers "are uplifting, and I love being around them," Robertson said.
"They live what they do, beyond just the physical building component,
but also the spiritual side of the ministry."

Ron Johnson also talks about Laborers' "spiritual side." "When Laborers
work with a congregation, they also become good, active members of that
congregation," Johnson said, explaining how Laborers and their spouses
take part in congregational life -- worship, singing in the choir,
lending a hand with vacation Bible school, and more.

Laborers build and also "build up" a congregation, said Johnson, who
sees Laborers' camaraderie and fellowship encourage congregation members
"in name only" to grow more active.

Dan Baker agrees.  "When congregations invite us in, they want to know
how much money we can save them.  But at the end of a project, it's not
how much money they saved but the ministry that happened.  That's what
they want to talk about."

Since Laborers For Christ was founded in 1980, the ministry has helped
congregations and organizations complete nearly 800 projects.  The
Laborers roster has grown to include some 350 men and women who work for
congregations and organizations on building projects and witness their
faith in those congregations and communities.

To learn more, call 800-854-4004, ext. 6446, or visit the Laborers For
Christ  Web site <http://www.lcef.org/services/laborers_for_christ> .

Kim Plummer Krull is a freelance writer and a member of St. Paul's
Lutheran Church, Des Peres, Mo.

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact
Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org
<mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org>  or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter
Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org>  or (314)
996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided
by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d
=6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that
does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on
"Contact Editor" above.

>_____

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and many others,
please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
Share this Newsletter <http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=8573
with a Friend.
MessageId=8573 UserId=10073

>_____

© 2002 - 2008 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod  <http://www.lcms.org/
.
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.