From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian Reformed Church Hears Gaza Doctor

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:59:23 -0700

Christian Reformed Church Hears Gaza Doctor

March 19, 2010 -- The Israeli tank shell crashed into the house in the Jabaliya
Refugee Camp in Gaza just seconds after Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish finished talking
with four of his daughters and his niece in their bedroom about the future.

Outside the room, he heard the shrieking sound of wood, glass and bricks
shattering. Then he heard screams. The shell killed one of his daughters and
his niece and seriously injured another daughter. Soon after, another shell
smashed into the room, this time killing two more of his daughters.

?I felt our house moving. There was smoke and dust. When I went back in my
daughters? room, I saw that their bodies were broken and that they had died
drowning in a pool of blood,? the physician and long-time peace activist told a
group who gathered to hear him speak on Friday at the Christian Reformed Church
office in Grand Rapids, MI.

Abuelaish was brought to the area to speak to various groups by Healing
Children of Conflict, a Grand Rapids, MI, organization that has recently begun
work to bring children injured in the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Gaza to
West Michigan for specialized medical care.

Calvin College history professor Bert de Vries, one of the coordinators of
Healing Children of Conflict, is accompanying Abulaish on his speaking
engagements in the area. Also involved in HCC, among others, are Rev. Herman
Keizer, retired director of Chaplaincy and Care Ministry  for the Christian
Reformed Church. Peter Vander Meulen, coordinator of the CRC?s Office of Social
Justice, is also involved. The program, however, is not formally affiliated
with the CRC.

During his visit to the CRC office, Abulaish said the tank attack that killed
three of his eight children occurred in the late afternoon of Jan. 16, 2009,
four months after his wife had died of cancer.

The tank attack came during the most recent war between Israel and Hamas, the
militant group which is in charge of Gaza. Israeli soldiers, accompanied by
tanks and air power, went into Gaza following a months?-long series of rockets
attacks that had been launched from Gaza into Israeli border towns, causing
destruction and killing 30 people.

An important figure in Palestinian-Israeli relations for years, treating
Palestinian and Israeli patients alike and promoting forgiveness and healing
for peace, Abuelaish got on the telephone soon after the attack to call an
Israeli reporter to describe, through sobs, what had just happened.

As he spoke, he pleaded for help, but he didn?t speak words of retribution.
Peace has been his message for many years, as he travelled from Gaza to work at
a hospital in Israel. He had become known on both sides of the border for his
views, among them that military might is not the answer to conflict.

The death of his daughters, he said, has left a scar deep inside of him that
will never disappear. But even if had had the chance to stand face to face with
the soldier who fired those shells, he would not let hate get the best of him.
?We have to think of saving and not destroying. We need to work together to get
rid of hate. Hatred is like poison,? he said.

In the days after his daughters died, the obstetrician and gynecologist says he
turned for comfort to God, who had a plan for him and equipped him with the
strength and power to carry it out. The physician became even more ardent in
pushing for peace in the ongoing Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

?Peace is not a destination. It?s a journey,? Abuelaish told the group who had
gathered at the CRC office.  ?Peace agreements and peace accords are the
weakest ways to obtain peace. We need people to carry peace and stability in
their hearts. Our enemy is our own ignorance. We need to see beyond the Apache
helicopters and suicide bombers.?

In the words of an Israeli colleague, quoted in a newspaper article, Abuelaish
is ?a magical, secret bridge between Israelis and Palestinians.? An
international foundation, inspired by the doctor?s vision of peace and
reconciliation, is being established, with headquarters in Toronto and Gaza.
The foundation will develop programs promoting education, health and leadership
for the women and girls throughout the Middle East.

Several weeks after the major fighting in last year?s war ended, Abuelaish left
Gaza with his remaining children to take a position as a professor of global
health at the University of Toronto. From there, he continues his efforts for
peace.

?Human life is most precious. We need to respect the human rights of people,?
he said. ?This world needs action. Don?t underestimate your own actions ? a
smile, touching a child, sharing your happiness with others? It all makes a
difference. The circle of action can be enlarged.?

--Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

-- Chris Meehan
News & Media Director
Christian Reformed Church in North America
1-616-224-0849