From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Editorial: Awakening the spirit of TTCS witnessed in the 1980s

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:56:41 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>3029 Edition

>March 15~21, 2010

Editorial: Awakening the spirit of TTCS witnessed in the 1980s

>Translated by Lydia Ma

In March of 1980, a sense of fear mixed with indignation washed  over Taiwanese
people

because of the Kaohsiung Incident. These feelings were exacerbated  when news
about the

Lin Family Massacre, which occurred shortly after the Kaohsiung  Incident, were
reported.

Throughout those terrifying days, staff and students at Tainan  Theological
College and

Seminary (TTCS) never stopped reaching out to victims, fighting  injustices,
and expounding

on the significance of social events happening around them. Their  engagement
in social

issues became a model and an integral part of theological training  for future
seminarians.

When Rev. C.M. Kao was arrested and imprisoned, Christians in  Taiwan fasted
and prayed

and a support network soon sprouted to help Rev. Kao and his  family. TTCS
staff and

students were active in this network too and continued lending  support to PCT
throughout the

1980s as PCT lived out its statement of faith.

TTCS kept on being socially active throughout the 1980s as staff  and students
helped

disillusioned Taiwanese stay tuned to international events. During  those years
under martial

law, TTCS was akin to a “voice in the desert” and was  portrayed as a
courageous, avant-

garde, or rebellious religious institution. For the KMT government  at the
time, TTCS was a

threat or a thorn in the flesh, and officials even hired some  students as
secret informers to

create division and mistrust within the school.

As we approach TTCS Sunday, let us remember and re-awaken the  spirit of TTCS
that we

witnessed in the 1980s, step forward, and not shy away from  discussing issues.
Let us stand

up for what’s right, support those who are suffering, and  remain firm despite
intimidation.

Though people may not understand us, though many may want to break  us, let us
move

forward with love as our guide and live out PCT’s statement  of faith.

It is our hope that the spirit of TTCS seen in the 1980s will  speak to
Taiwanese churches

again in this age of financial turbulence and political  uncertainty. May God’s
love guide us to

become responsible stewards of God’s creation and may  churches be purified
through recent

trials and emerge as rays of hope in Taiwanese society.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the
source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English)